Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help with Young Stud Dog

I have a young stud dog to be used for the first time. I have the bitch here she was 8.3 yesterday morning. She is flagging and throwing herself at him. He will licker her and run around with her to play but will not mount her at all. I do not care if they bred natural or I collect and AI. But I can not get him aroused (Sp?) enough to even get him hard. I have never had a stud dog do this. Usually if I have a bitch in season I can collect my other boys easily. I am at a loss. I am praying that tomorrow he will try to mount her but what if he will not. What do I do?

Has anyone ever have a boy not want to bred a bitch in standing heat? Is there something else I should be doing?

Re: Need Help with Young Stud Dog

I used to spend hours trying to make it happen.

It could be that she is not in prime heat just yet.

how do your other males respond?

how old is your boy?

You can stimulate him without having him mount her. He is probably just unexperienced. Leave them alone for a while. He'll get the idea.
If it doesn't work out, you can ask your reproductive vet for testosterone shots to elevate his libido.

If its an important breeding why not go to an experience vet/repro that may be able to help collect him. Personally I would not be accepting stud services until I knew my boy could "perform".

I did not accept a stud fee because I leased the bitch. So the breeding is for me. Because I am trying to prove my young boy.

I am hoping that he is just one of those boys that will only mount at the right time. My other boys would mount her if I would let them believe me they have tried. But I will say that I can still call them off her crate. And I have a hard time doing that when they think she is ready.

I have tried to stimulate him myself with no luck. If he still will not do anything today we will go to the vet tomorrow.

It is just so frustrating. We wait so long and jump thru so many hoops to even let these boys become stud dogs. And then too think he might not know what to do

I will keep you updated. We are getting ready to try agian.

I'm not sure what you are doing to "stimulate" :-? but pull back the sheath exposing the penis and hold tight to behind the bulbous gland and you will get a collection.

The problem is that I can not get his penis outside of the sheath. He does get hard and the bulbous gland swells some but I can not for the life of me get it to extend outside of all his skin. I tried to push the sheath back but so for no such luck. I would have thought with him it would be easy because most of the time when he sits he is always showing his lipstick as my kids say. I even tired getting him swollen and having him sit quickly and I got hold of him but when he stood back up I could not keep hold of his penis and inside it went.

I am giving him a rest and will try again later.

Could it be that he is intimidated w/ you in the near proximity? You may need to be out of sight.

I don't think your girl is at the ready to breed point yet. Some girls flirt and act ready, but they are still not completely there. If your other boys are interested, but not out of their minds yet, the girl may not be ready.

Also, do not allow the other boys to be anywhere in the vicinity. They may be very dominant over him and he could be afraid to claim a girl in their presence.

Well I have gone from beening worried about this young stud dog to totally loving him even more.

I have dreamed of a stud dog that did not go off his food or whine the entire time a bitch is in season and wanting to mount her from day one.

All of a sudden he went from laying at my feet to laying by her crate. So I let her out and and her flirting started again. But this time he mounted her and within minutes had tied with her like he had done this a million times.

I did learn that I had better start teaching him how to be collected since I will not always have a bitch in standing heat to collect him for a shipment.

Thank you to all who posted with help, as I was having a minor melt down worried about my boy.

Now I can be worried about the girl. Will she become pregnant? Will she be able to whelp natural or will she need a c-section? Then will the puppies be show qualitity? Will they pass their clearences? It seems to be a never ending cycle......

Worried Breeder
Well I have gone from beening worried about this young stud dog to totally loving him even more.

I have dreamed of a stud dog that did not go off his food or whine the entire time a bitch is in season and wanting to mount her from day one.

All of a sudden he went from laying at my feet to laying by her crate. So I let her out and and her flirting started again. But this time he mounted her and within minutes had tied with her like he had done this a million times.

I did learn that I had better start teaching him how to be collected since I will not always have a bitch in standing heat to collect him for a shipment.

Thank you to all who posted with help, as I was having a minor melt down worried about my boy.

Now I can be worried about the girl. Will she become pregnant? Will she be able to whelp natural or will she need a c-section? Then will the puppies be show qualitity? Will they pass their clearences? It seems to be a never ending cycle......

You worry the same as we all do. I'm glad he decided to do it on his own but you're right. He does need to learn how to be collected whenever you want to if he is going to be a stud-dog.

Relax. Let him do it again tomorrow and Friday, that should cover her. He got a taste of honey today.