Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slip ties

How long do slip ties have to last to be successful? And how often do slip ties produce puppies? We have had 2 and as soon as the dog tries to turn around he slips out.

Re: Slip ties

slip sliding away
How long do slip ties have to last to be successful? And how often do slip ties produce puppies? We have had 2 and as soon as the dog tries to turn around he slips out.

You don't need a tie for a sucessfull mating, any slip matings that have happened here have always produced puppies, the biggest litter was 11.

Whew! I will hope to have your good luck. Thank you.

Never do a natural breeding without having a collection bag with you. If it slides out, collect the rest and AI .

I have had slip ties before while doing a natural breeding. I did some research about it and learned that if the dog does not tie it means the female is not completely ready to breed yet. Some females will breed to the male when they are getting ready to ovulate but they are not completely there yet. In my research, I found that it is the female who is responsible for the tie and she is the one that holds onto the male when she is ready. I would keep trying to breed the pair until they tie.

Breeder 99
I have had slip ties before while doing a natural breeding. I did some research about it and learned that if the dog does not tie it means the female is not completely ready to breed yet. Some females will breed to the male when they are getting ready to ovulate but they are not completely there yet. In my research, I found that it is the female who is responsible for the tie and she is the one that holds onto the male when she is ready. I would keep trying to breed the pair until they tie.

I have to disagree with you. I had a boy years ago that always slipped the tie. Even when progesterone testing indicated ovulation...every breeding was a slip. I learned how to collect and AI. But in reality...the sperm rich fraction is prior to the tie so just have your girl stand quietly as you would when doing an AI after the insemination.

BTW...I never had a miss when he slipped.

Good luck.

Breeder 99

I would disagree with you, I had a girl here not to long ago, she had four litters to four different males, she didn't Tie with any of them

I will soon find out if you are right or not. I bred my girl and there was no tie.

How soon? Keep us posted.

FYI- The breeding I did with a slip tie did not take, my girl did not get pregnant.

We had better luck here. Looks like my girl is carrying a boat load of puppies.