Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adding Probiotics

Just started giving Dogzyme Digestive Enhancer. After 2 days, 2 seniors have diarrhea and 1 adult has loose stools and terrible gas. I gave the recommended daily amount, 1/2 with morning feeding and 1/2 with evening meal. Should I have gradually worked up to the recommended amount, should it be given daily or only as needed and should it be split between each feeding?

Re: Adding Probiotics

Just curious if they were having this kind of problem before and if not, why did you start using this product?

No, they did not have diarrhea before giving this and I gave them because they were on antibiotics either for ear infection or split nail. Does this make a difference, am I wrong in thinking that probiotics should be given routinely or is digestive enhancer to strong to be given routinely?

I give all of mine Probios daily. From a 4 month old puppy to my senior. I give it with their evening meal. I feel the probiotics help them utilize the nutrition they are getting to the fullest. I did work up the the amount recommended though.

Thanks, Sherry. That's where I made my mistake giving the full recommended daily dose right away. I should have known better. It seems to be clearing up after some rice and chicken.