Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Placing a puppy with a Parapalegic

I have been talking to a very nice gentleman for a while now who wants a male Lab puppy of mine. He owns his own house and has just put up a new fence and is building a doggy door in order to get a quality male Lab. It will be his best buddy as he is not married nor has children. He has lots of relatives that'll come by. He drives and does alot but has just informed me about how he was in a car accident a whule ago and is a Parapalegic but is very active? Does anyone have any experience with such a handicap and a puppy? It could be a very good thing for him, just wondering about the handicap and the capabilities without hurting his feelings?

Re: Placing a puppy with a Parapalegic

He sounds fine to me, but my experience has been that people who have different kinds of abilities are quite open to discussing both what they have to offer and what they cannot offer. I find people who have little compassion for animals and those who see animals as playthings or objects to do their bidding are much more dis-abled than those who can't walk.

Re: Placing a puppy with a Paraplegic

I completely agree with Kate. It sounds like this individual is very independent from your description, but do not be afraid to ask questions regarding your concerns. People who have a disability are okay talking about their limitations, it is we who often are uncomfortable addressing them. Do not doubt this man because he is in a wheelchair, he probably will make a wonderful home! Just clarify with him all the concern areas you may have (getting the dog in and out of a vehicle to attend vet appointments, cleaning up accidents in the house, potty training schedule, yard waste clean up, etc). And even if he cannot physically keep up with all these demands, it does not necessarily make him a bad pet owner. You may have to help him learn how to compensate by advising him on hiring a dog walker/assistant, pet waste clean up, making appointments when a family member can come to help with the dog, etc.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you need further assistance... I am an occupational therapist, so I think of things alittle differently

I has a young man in his 20's, same condition for a car accident..he came with his parents to look at a puppy-when he arrived all the puppies were in pen area. One puppy ran up to him and put her two front paws on his lap. He said that was his puppy-today (8 years later) she is still his "service" dog who the family trained and they adore each other. If there were ever nay issues he had someone come over from his family to help.

Sounds to me like he has done all the right things and HE wants a dog. I do not sell puppies to people who want a dog for a child with problems. They tend to think the dog will magically solve all their problems. I only place puppies with people who genuinely like dogs and want to have one. This guy sounds just fine.

I agree with everyone he sounds like he'd be a great owner but I would have to meet with him before I'd make any decisions

One of my pups lives with a young teen girl who has no legs. Parents dropped her, wheel chair, and pup off at training classes. Recently talked to the instructor at a show. He said he first wasn't sure how it would all go. At the end of basic obedience class he gave out certificates after each student showed what their dog learned. He told me her dog was clearly the best trained (at 4 months!) and all the bystanders were wiping their eyes as he handed out the certificates. He has since done some private classes with the family.

If a then 11 year old girl can do it - I think this paraplegic can also. I'd ask how he plans to train and who will help him and see if it all makes sense.

Also, I had an outsider (obedience trainer) temperament test for my service dog. She picked the one with the most retrieve drive but who was the calmest when there was action around him for this very special girl.

I would see if he has plans for training the pup like the 11 year old girl did. Good for her!!

He might have a trainer lined up to work with him and the puppy from the 1st day.

If you don't ask how he intends on working with his pup, he might feel uncomfortable just telling you his plans. I think you 2 need to communicate about his disability and plans for a possible puppy from you.

I know of a case years back. He was a quadraplegic young man that wanted a dog of his own. The family had a senior dog from me so they weren't clueless about raising a pup. I referred them to another litter, breeder was kind enough to give them a discount that wasn't requested.

He lives with Mom and Dad, has an elevator to and from the level he lives on, for his needs and then the pup's. His parents assisted in private training classes from 9 weeks. He had an electronic wheelchair and took the pup out for walk via elevator and wheelchair but not without a trainer assisting initially through private lessons. The pup had to get used to the elevator sounds, entering it and being on lead. This puppy became his dog strictly and assisted him with everything earning a service dog certification of some sort. It turned out well except the dog became quite overweight as years passed due to not being exercised enough. You might want to ask about who will be exercising the pup same as you would ask a non handicapped buyer.

While I understand the desire to investigate all puppy homes, I wonder if some of you are wanting answers to questions that you would not ask a person who could walk. For example, how many of your puppies are really exercised into later life and how many gain weight because people overfeed them? Yes, these people can walk, but do they?

People who have their heads and hearts in the right place figure out how to take care of their dogs. Lord knows people who can't walk have had to figure out how to live a life that most of us would find maddeningly challenging.

People who may lack some physical abilities may have developed incredible coping skills and resilience from which a lot of us could learn a thing or two. Should we deprive them of a dog because they lack some physical skill that we have? Many people who have different body capabilities than the norm do not want to be called "disabled."

One of my training buddies is in a motorized wheelchair and has done obedience, agility, hunt tests etc. with her dogs. Not only are they her service dogs, but they compete with the rest of us and do well.

~Adrienne

Thank you all for your replies. I will be selling him a male as he is extremely determined to have a Lab as his best friend and by his side. He is doing everything possible to get ready for his boy. When I called him yesterday I asked him some more questions and told him the good news. You could hear his excitement in his voice. He will be doing alot of his own training and thinks that Labs are smarter than most dogs as well as quick learners. I would have to agree.

Breeder
Thank you all for your replies. I will be selling him a male as he is extremely determined to have a Lab as his best friend and by his side. He is doing everything possible to get ready for his boy. When I called him yesterday I asked him some more questions and told him the good news. You could hear his excitement in his voice. He will be doing alot of his own training and thinks that Labs are smarter than most dogs as well as quick learners. I would have to agree.

What a wonderful thing you have done for this man! And thanks for bringing up this topic and allowing a discussion that might help other people who wonder about placing dogs with folks who may have different physical abilities than the norm.

But there is already a "just me" out there.

If I were the guy who is getting this puppy, I would be pissed by the condescending post saying "What a wonderful thing you have done for this man!"

I would want to think the breeder entrusted me with a puppy because he/she felt I would give the puppy a wonderful home. This guy should be judged as a person, not a a disability first and a person second.

would be just me
But there is already a "just me" out there.

If I were the guy who is getting this puppy, I would be pissed by the condescending post saying "What a wonderful thing you have done for this man!"

I would want to think the breeder entrusted me with a puppy because he/she felt I would give the puppy a wonderful home. This guy should be judged as a person, not a a disability first and a person second.

Thanks for your feedback. Bias easily creeps into one's thinking, and disordered thinking surely is one of the worst kinds of dis-abilities.

I will check out your perceptions with the service dog organization with which I work and the family with a child who has CP who will be getting one of my current puppies. I have great respect for the family's ability to deal with difficulty situations, and I certainly would not want them to feel that they are anything but the best family. Truly they are amazing, and I am delighted that my puppy will join them.

And, yes, I do feel that I am doing a great thing for the family; they tell me so because they have waited for a long time to add a puppy to their family. I get a lot of pleasure from their joy.

LOL It just so happens I always think I have done a great thing for people when my puppies go to their new homes. I am one fussy girl. The people have to be tops to get one of my wonderful puppies.