Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reaching for the Stars: Formerly Advanced Labrador Breeding?

I wanted to buy MRW book, Reaching for the Stars, for a friend but I am having a tough time finding it online to order. The only copies I can find are priced $900 or more Any ideas where I can find a copy of this book for purchase (does not have to even be "new") at a reasonable price?

Re: Reaching for the Stars: Formerly Advanced Labrador Breeding?

Found these

Thanks Laura. I just pulled up my Amazon account and in January 2008 I purchased my "Reaching for the Stars: Formerly Advanced Labrador Breeding (The Pure Dog Bred Series) [Hardcover] By: Mary Roslin Williams (Author)" for $17.79!! I am shocked to see what this book lists for now

I bought mine at a dog show - there was a vendor that sold prints but also books. Believe it was something like $25-30.

I just bought one off Amazon - brand new - for $62 tax and shipping in.

I bought mine for about $20-$30 new 2-3 month ago from Amazon. You might be facing a shortage. Wait a little and see if the prices go down.

Is this the same book in paperback? It's not available to ship until January.

http://www.christianbook.com/reaching-for-the-stars/9780944875643/pd/7564X?item_code=WW&netp_id=498474&event=ESRCN&view=details

Really? That's a lot of money for a book that's not long out of publication.
I knew I had it but went to look to see what edition and it is indeed the hard cover, "reaching the for stars" edition.
Is it really worth $1000?

What about this

http://www.christianbook.com/reaching-for-the-stars/9780944875643/pd/7564X?item_code=WW&netp_id=498474&event=ESRCN&view=details

It sure is.

I agree about shortage. If you have the time to wait and only want the hardcover, wait for it to drop.

I paid $18 a ways back.

Wow, I bought mine about 5 years ago at regular prices too. I always thought the one going for the price of a small car was the "original" printed one..

What about this

Ok great! I will wait a few months for the paperback. I love my friend, but I am not buying a $1000 book for her LOL.

It's available from Doral Publishing for 26.95 USD. Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.doralpub.com/doral/breeding_resource.html#rfts

Anki in Sweden
It's available from Doral Publishing for 26.95 USD. Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.doralpub.com/doral/breeding_resource.html#rfts

Thanks, I tried there too but its out of stock

Try abebooks.com
There is one copy available in UK. Book is 31.87 USD, p&p to US 9.31 USD - total 41.18 USD.

I bought mine when they first published it. It is a first edition and part of a special series of 500 printed in February of 2000. I didn't think much about it but guess I'd better take care of it! We also have a copy of the original book. Who knew it would be worth that much?

My copy of the original is actually in our safe deposit box! I think I need to go see if it's still there... :-)

OK, I'm already bracing for the flames.

First, let me say I really love this book! I have read and re-read it several times. I think everyone who is even considering breeding should read it.

That being said......

How did this book become the Holy Bible of Labrador Breeding?
Why is it so expensive?
Why was there a thread a while back asking what MRW would think about the breed today, as if she were a god, or the "inventor" of the Labrador Retriever? ....and on the 3rd day MRW created the Labrador, and it was good.

She was a great breeder, with great thoughts, but why are her thoughts considered sacred above all others?

I have seen people debating certain segments of her book the way some theologians argue with each other about the Bible. Seriously.

I never realized it, until I just took it out, but I have #265 of the 500 printed in 2000. I have no idea how much I paid for it. I would think no more than $30. ?? Could it be that the one that is so expensive is signed?

Well, listening to the CD (the talk she gave re: Labs) she really did seem to understand a Lab in the working world of dogs, which seems so practical. In our so busy world, today, how many of us can take what we know of the working dog - and apply that knowledge to the structure in the dogs that we breed to show (primarily) in the conformation ring? This is no soap box - but I do have an appreciation for someone who used their dogs in real work.

A lot of people use their dogs in real work, and I do appreciate and respect her opinions. I was serious when I said that I've read and re-read her book several times. I really enjoy it.

There's a line between appreciation and respect, and viewing her book as the Holy Law in Labradors.

That's all I'm saying.

All this talk about "Reaching for the stars" made me go pull out my copy. I have book #101. Geesh who knew? Who hand wrote the numbers? At the time I bought this one, I really wanted a copy of the original but was too cheap to cough up the money. I pull this one out now and then and read it and find that MRW had fabulous insights and a no punches held attitude so often found in the dog breeders of England. It is a good read but still left me wondering about the original. Is there a difference? I will say, unlike many other breed specific books, I have held on to this one.

I have 2 copies - one is # 65 (red ink!), the other is un-numbered. The second one is from a later printing, the first is from the first printing.

I've seen the original book; the stuff at the back in the new book isn't in the original.

I am looking for any bookie folks out there.

I have questions stemming from this thread.

I have 1988 published by H.F.& G. Witherby Ltd., London printed by BAS Printers Lmtd copy of Advanced Labrador Breeding. Original with jacket.

Where are you guys finding a COPY NUMBER of the book?

The ISBN on mine is 0-85493-158-9

I can't get the info I seek through searching internet.......need a book person

Do I have the ORIGINAL FIRST PUBLICATION?

I have it sealed up carefully with my R. Edwards books.

Thanks if you can help...you can e me if you rather

Aquila - I think you're referring to "Advanced Labrador Breeding" which was first published in 1988 by Witherby. I also have a copy of that book in its original form.

The thread refers to a re-masterised version called "Reaching for the Stars: Formerly Advanced ....." which was published quite a bit later and apparently had some numbered copies.

Our book seems to be available for about $150-200 depending on the condition. Still quite a bit more than the £12.95 I paid for it initially, according to the jacket!

Thanks....figured it was the "original" first publication I had, but never numbered.........no concern over what it is "worth" as it is priceless to me.