Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long-haired Chihuahua

Does anyone know a someone that owns a LHChi? What are they like? Do they get along with Labradors? Are they difficult to finish?

Re: Long-haired Chihuahua

Send me an E-mail and I'll put you in touch with a Lab breeder who also has LHChi's

I have two... a 7 y/o black/tan female and a 6 y/o tan male. I am not into breeding them, just lovely pets. These two have been raised as if they were labs and don't know any difference. They even jump into the pool !!!.... GREAT pets "IF" they are raised correctly.

I think I would opt for a smooth Chi myself. Less chance of fur balls for the Labs

Hi! Our daughter has been showing Chi's for about 4 plus years. She's always had long coats, but will show her first bred-by smooth coat in another month or so. :) Are they difficult to finish? Yes, but probably not as difficult as finishing a Labrador these days! At the age of 10, she finished her first champion - put every single point on him, including 3 majors and one was at a specialty.

Ours have always gotten along just fine with the older Labs, you just have to be very, very careful to make sure they don't get tangled up in those big ol' paws. The puppies are a different story - they see a walking squeekie toy!

All chihuahua's are NOT the same - and go to a reputable breeder. Ours are from the same breeder and have the most fabulous temperaments. Another big factor is socialization - the more, the better for everyone. And they are pretty easy to train to do tricks! ha I would have not ever imagined that we would love these little guys like we do.

Send me an email if you have any questions!

and Kim, you hit the nail on the head - IF they are raised correctly!

Candice does have some nice tempered ones. When I was seeking to bring in a toy, I had it narrowed down to either a long coat chi or a papillon. I was invited to judge toys at the JAC in OKC and I'm tellin' you, every chi tried to either bite me or shy away bigtime. I was not impressed. The paps were delightful so I chose to go w/ a papillon.

So I ditto, Candice, saying they are not all the same and go w/ a truly reputable one w/ a long history of sound temperaments.

As w/ all toys, use common sense when around big pups/dogs.

OK I've had both LHC and Papillons. I so loved both. The Pap was wonderful...but was sort of like a big dog in a little body. He loved, loved us, but really didn't care for others so much. He was good with the kids. He was from a show breeder. The LHC was the sweetest dog ever. She never met a stranger. I bought her to show, but her bite was horrible. I placed her with a friend, and they loved her too. She was also from a show breeder. So, I guess it is in the lines.

I have a client that has smooths and long coated and I like the long coated's temperament better but think that upbringing plays a huge part in it.Definitely talk to experienced breeders if you are looking to show to be sure the dog will be the correct size but the one of the biggest problems is bad bites. They are apparently trying to breed for a shorter muzzle and there are lots of problem with crowded teeth, bad bites, teeth coming in at weird angles. Pulling puppy teeth to try to make room for the adult teeth to come in correctly happens fairly often.

Hey Dr. Debbie!!!! You are so very correct.

Funny story about size - we did a breeding with a 2 1/2 pound male and a 3 pound bitch - resulted in a pup that weighed 7 1/2 pounds at 10 months!!!! He was absolutely gorgeous with beautiful conformation, but being that he was Texas-sized, he was WAYYY over standard. And he LOVED, LOVED, LOVED our Itty - he would snuggle up to her and clean her ears and would even hop on her back and ride around!

We've gone through several show prospects that have either been over standard in weight or have off-bites. It can be heartbreaking.

And thank you Sherry for your compliment - you know we will have them at our DFW Specialty!!!

Dr. Debbie - we are still waiting on you to come to our specialty! I'm already harassing Joyce!