Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
vacuum cleaner reccomendation

My kirby has died, and I need a new vacuum that is good for pets, and also good for cleaning carpet, furniture, etc

I see there are several on the market for pets, I want a good one that has a soft brush so I vacuum other things that are too delicate for the hose.

One thing I did not like about my Kirby was that the house smelled after I vacuumed, and my Kirby smelled like a dirty dog, even after we spent about $125.00 for a new bag. My Kirby also used disposable bags, it was not bagless.

Please advise

Re: vacuum cleaner reccomendation

If you can afford one, the best hands down are the in house systems. They are superior. I would not be w/out one. Your tank is in the garage. You have no noise/no back flow,etc. No smell as always happens w/ regular ones over time. Suction is superior and you can use attachments for other things. Several types of attachments I own. I have slate tile floors throughout so have a floor head as well as beater bar head for the carpets in the bedrooms and area rugs throughout.

ORECK

I hated my Oreck -- it jammed up regularly, belts broke with the slightest resistance, bags expensive & hard to attach. I gave it to the Goodwill within a year.

I LOVE my Dyson. Not a moment's trouble in 2 years, and it pulls up dust & dog hair like crazy.

Overstock.com has the best prices, I think.

I agree Dyson ball will be my next vaccuum. My daughter loves hers

The top rated upright vacuum cleaner based upon Consumer Reports is the Kenmore Intuition. We got one a few months ago, so far so good.

I got a Dyson for Xmas. It's the best Xmas present I ever got:).

Gregg
The top rated upright vacuum cleaner based upon Consumer Reports is the Kenmore Intuition. We got one a few months ago, so far so good.

I'm on my second Kenmore canister vacuum, the newest version of the Intuition. The first is now dedicated to the dog area of my house, and the new one now works on my main house area.

I've had the old for 5 years and bought it because of a similar Consumer Reports article. I still love it. I also like the motorized heads that come with the Kenmore, one of them is small enough to clean the carpet in my car.

I have bought the extended warranty and used it. A couple of times electrical cords have worn through and the head has needed servicing. The bags are not terribly large, but also not terribly expensive.

I also use a Shop Vac in the dog areas for heavy work. Couldn't live without my wet/dry Shop Vac. I scrub the concrete floors in the basement and then pick up the water with my Shop Vac.

A lot depends on what uses you have for the vacuum. I have a lot of carpet, and I like a canister type for getting under and around furniture. Other people like an upright, but I find them difficult to get around furniture with an upright. I use my Shop Vac like a lot of people use their upright.

Dyson by far the best vacuum ever!

Love my Dyson! Oreck can't compare to Dyson power wise. Hated the bags, the dust, and the belts with the Oreck. Dyson forever here.

I would sell my (commercial) oreck in a min. It is like new. I would never sell the dyson

best ever

I do like my Oreck but it does nothing for the edges by the baseboards and is impossible on steps. You need to have two just to complete the job. Looking at the Dyson canister.

Has anyone tried the Shark Navigator?

brdr
I do like my Oreck but it does nothing for the edges by the baseboards and is impossible on steps. You need to have two just to complete the job. Looking at the Dyson canister.

You do realize that the Dyson has a suction hose built into the handle correct? It's an upright and cannister in one.

what about a hoover? I saw one that is good for people with pets

Which dyson do you reccommend?

Barb
brdr

You do realize that the Dyson has a suction hose built into the handle correct? It's an upright and cannister in one.

Most uprights have some sort of suction hose that can also be used. However, canisters such as the Sears Intuition have power heads that dramatically improve suction of the wand (hose). The power heads have separate motors that drive a rotary blade that helps to scoop up dirt and hair. The height of the power heads can also be adjusted to be closer or farther from the floor, which is useful when you have both carpet and hardwood floors as I do. The Sears power head is also lighted so that you can see the dirt better, especially behind and underneath furniture, and a dirt sensor that tells you if the area is clean. Power heads really do help the cleaning process.

The Sears Intuition cost be about $500 on sale recently.

We bought our Intuition for $213.00 on sale with a 10% senior discount. The highly rated model # is 31100, if you look on the Sears site the price is $249.00.
Those asking about Hoover, according to CR, the performance of them is very good however they have the highest repair frequency of any brand.
According to the ratings, the only reason the Intuition was rated higher than some Dyson models was the really big difference in price.

Wow, Gregg, that must have been quite a sale. The current list price for the Sears Intuition (red) is $399.99. By the time I bought the entended warranty and paid taxes on the whole purchase, it was over $500.

Hey, it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps you got a Sears Intuition upright vacuum, and I got a canister Intuition. Is that right?

Yes ma'am, ours is an upright.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02031100000P?blockNo=3&blockType=L3&prdNo=3&i_cntr=1294068921420
We also have a cannister, close to 20 years old, a Sears Progressive.

If you are on a tight budget or want a less expensive option for the sears intuition

try this:

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/products.jsp?md=srh_md&stxt=intuition

but really - why? It is made by panasonic and might be good - but the dog hair will ruin it.

Dyson rocks - you can take the entire thing apart for thorough cleaning - with soapy water. Clean Clean Clean

Steve, I have had a Sears Intuition for 5 years; it is still going strong. All my dogs live in my house, which has stone, hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors so I have definitely put the Kenmore to the test, and it has succeeded. Dog hair hasn't ruined it. So I bought another one so I don't have to carry them up and down my stairs.

Which Dyson do you reccommend?

I need a new vacuum asap, and I am so confused.

Thanks,

Julie

Dyson is an excellent vacuum cleaner but very pricey, not sure where you got your idea dog hair will ruin a Sear vacuum, I bet we have had Labs/dogs MUCH longer than you and our 20 year old model is going strong.

Hello everyone,

I am actually the original post.

My vacuum cleaner was a Kirby.

I am open to a really good vacuum cleaner that has good suction, that will work for pets & upholstery, etc.

I am looking at a hoover reccommended for pets, but they do not have any attachments for upholstery.

Please advise!

Go to a store that will allow you to try different vacuums right there and maybe let you take your favorite home for a day. This way you will see what you are comfortable with.

I love the Dyson Ball. If I had to carry it up and down stairs I wouldn't be happy b/c it's not light. So I now have 2. 1 is smaller and 1 is larger. Both Dyson Balls, the 17 and the 25 with accessories.

My last house had a central system that I wasn't happy with. They depend on the power in it and the type of system. It's not cheap having it installed after a house is built. Only go that route if you're building a new home otherwise you'll pay rougly $5000 U.S. dollars. It's more than half that if going into a brand new home before electricity and walls.

You need to buy what suits you and your house best. I shall suggest again going to a vacuum store that allows you to try all different types you're interested in.

The Dyson is roughly $400-$450 today on sale. I feel it's a great investment. Even my bi-weekly house cleaners like my Dysons. They have an almost brand-new Electrolux in the car they don't bother bringing in anymore.

canaanland
Which Dyson do you reccommend?

I need a new vacuum asap, and I am so confused.

Thanks,

Julie

Only the Dyson Ball. Do not get it without the ball.

Miele
Well made and really cleans up dog hair.

I have a Miele at my office so buying it was a business expense that I could write off. I love it because it is incredibly quiet and well-made and works especially well on carpets. That being said, it is far more expensive than my Kenmores both to buy and to operate and not any more effective. But it is far quieter than the Kenmore and emits less dust, which can be important for people with breathing problems.

Kate
Steve, I have had a Sears Intuition for 5 years; it is still going strong. All my dogs live in my house, which has stone, hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors so I have definitely put the Kenmore to the test, and it has succeeded. Dog hair hasn't ruined it. So I bought another one so I don't have to carry them up and down my stairs.

You are probably right. My Panasonic, circa 1992 was fine until the dog hair which is sucked through the motor ruined the unit.

Sounds like it has be redesigned. Miele is great but very expensive.