Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dan Buchwald - Tragic House Fire - Not LR

Hello Everyone,

Haven't had much time to interact on the forum lately, but thought I would pass this along. This is an email that I received within the "Purina Family", regarding the tragic loss that Dan Buchwald an all breed professional handler endured over the Christmas holiday. I am not soliciting for funds, only passing the email along that I received. If you do nothing else, please say a prayer for Dan.

Best,
Marci

Subject: Dan Buchwald

*please cross post to any dog groups or lists*

You may know Dan Buchwald, a professional handler who's handled many beautiful dogs, and who is known for his lovely boxers and smooth fox terriers which he breeds. He owned and showed "Gracie", aka BIS Ch Aimhi Avalon Renaissance, to the position of #1 Smooth Fox Terrier Bitch of all time. On December 28, Dan's home in PA that he was renting burned down. His dear Gracie perished in that fire as did his other "heart" dogs, including a beautiful boxer that he was going to be specialling this year, as well as his four cats, who were not "show animals" but were no less loved by him. Dan was badly burned trying to save his babies from the fire but was unable to do so.

He is now faced with having to completely rebuild his life. He still has about 12 dogs that were in the kennel which did not burn, but his heart is broken and every single thing in the house was destroyed.

I have set up a fund to help, in some small way, with his monumental task of rebuilding his life and his home. Anyone who's been through a fire knows how immense the destruction is, and how awful the experience is. And anyone in dogs knows that we have to stick together and help each other out in times of trouble. I think this is one of those times.

The fund I set up goes direct to Dan, so only he can withdraw the funds and can do so almost immediately after they are sent.

The fund is set up thru paypal which is the easiest, fastest way to do this. the email address for the fund is buchwaldfirefund@aol.com

How to:

1. Go to www.paypal.com and sign in or log in.

2. If you are already signed up with paypal, choose "Send Money" and choose, sending to a FRIEND.

3. If you select "Friend" and you pay with a bank account, or paypal funds, there are NO FEES.

4. Send your donation to email address BuchwaldFireFund@aol.com

SIgning up with paypal is very easy. Paypal is secure and safe for even international fund transfers.

go to www.paypal.com and follow the instructions to sign up; then follow the above.

if you prefer to send a check, you can send it to

Dan Buchwald, PO Box 190, Augusta NJ 07822,

or

Lisa Curry, Esq., for the benefit of Dan Buchwald, 59 Gristmill Rd., Randolph NJ 07869

Thank you and God bless you

Steve Griffith

General Manager

Vizion Group PR

Re: Dan Buchwald - Tragic House Fire - Not LR

I don't know him but a donation will not make me go broke. I will follow your instructions Marci. Your kindness is a beautiful gesture in this man's time of need. Bless you and yours.

I think this is a very sad news. More sad is that nobody can have a nice words for Dan in this forum, but they have tons to be mean in other threads.

Dan, our prayers are with you and your family and pets.

I wish I could afford to donate money but am in a bad place now.

I do however,know the horrible tragidy of loosing your home to a fire.

I am sure I have lots of stuff here that he may be able to use. Kitchen stuff, some furniture, (couple of single beds and dressers), etc.

Is there any way I can get in touch with Dan to find out what he needs? If someone would email me privately that would be great. Otherwise I will send a note to his PO box.

Also realize he needs time to find a place to live before he can accept donations of furniture.

My heart goes out to him, especially for the loss of his beloved dogs.

So Sad
I think this is a very sad news. More sad is that nobody can have a nice words for Dan in this forum, but they have tons to be mean in other threads.

Dan, our prayers are with you and your family and pets.

I agree it's sad that there are only a few posts on here to Dan but not all posts on the TVD thread were mean. I spoke to a couple of other breeders around some time that said they learned more about TVD from it and more questions to ask when using a stud-dog for a breeding. The same was said by some of the normal posting breeders and there were quite a few.

I hope Dan is recovering from his burns and injuries. I will be sending a donation although I don't know him as I already stated. It was quite kind of Marci to post this. We can hope some did not post today yet plan on making a donation with all the details already up.

So tragic. When you send a "gift" through paypal, there is a place to send a note at the end. I sent what I could monetarily and included a note of condolence.

Lets keep this about what Dan needs and not get on the TVD issue again.

Please.,.,........

I am devasted to have heard this directly from Dan! He and Norra lived for their animals. We have had several Avalon boxers over the years and Norra and Dan have become extended family. I will do anything I can. Please keep0 updated on this. Thank you. GOD BLESS Dan & Norra and all those family members who crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

There is a story in my local paper (The Dispatch) about the fire. It said that one of the dog's alerted Dan of the fire and literally saved his life. After he and the dog left the house, the dog went back in (I assume to try to save the other dogs) and never came out. This is so sad ... anyone who doesn't think dogs have smarts, feelings or knowledge of right and wrong should second think that. They care so much about us - more than we'll ever know.

Having been through a house fire where I lost everything,my heart really goes out to Dan and his family.
In my case, I was able to evacuate in time to bring my five dogs to safety, and I cannot even imagine losing multiple dogs. This will affect him for the rest of his life.
AKC (Take the Lead) may be able to help him also. He may not be able to do a lot of these things for himself, so hopefully his friends can help out and make the contacts for him. When something like this happens to you, you are numb and completely absorbed with grief. In my case, my very good friend Sherry stepped in, cooked for me, did my laundry for me, and her husband made arrangements online for me to receive funds. Their emotional support was vital to my recovery, so friends of this gentleman, please be there for him, forever, because he really needs you!
Money helps, and I will be making a donation and write a personal note to him.

Marjorie
There is a story in my local paper (The Dispatch) about the fire. It said that one of the dog's alerted Dan of the fire and literally saved his life. After he and the dog left the house, the dog went back in (I assume to try to save the other dogs) and never came out. This is so sad ... anyone who doesn't think dogs have smarts, feelings or knowledge of right and wrong should second think that. They care so much about us - more than we'll ever know.

Leave it to a Lab to alert him. We have an amazing breed.

I just sent my donation yesterday. If everyone sends even just $5, it would help.