Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ears/PP SSS

Have had both my girls on PP SS&S -one is 4, one is a year. Never had ear issues before-started to notice very gunky ears about a month ago-took her to the vet and we were treaing with meds. Opened a new bag and am still feeding but notice that they are still producing lots of ear gunk-no scratching, hot spots etc-just ears. (no allergies in lines)
Does anyone know if there has been a formula change thas has not been made public yet? Anyone esle see this?
I'm stumped-thinkig of switching but not sure to what and if I do, how long should it take to notice a change (if that is the problem)

Re: ears/PP SSS

YES there was! Get them off that garbage.
I switched to TOTW Salmon, couldn't be happier

Wow same thing here! Never had a problem with PP SSS, but I noticed in the past few months both my boys ears are out of control. I too just switched to TOTW and I'm hoping to see some change. Although my Vet didn't think it was food related I'm starting to think I made a good choice !

I had several issues with PP, switched to Native and I've never been more happy.

Back in the day before the ProPlan C&R Adult formula was discontinued, I had a girl who would get gunky ears. Switched her and all the dogs to SS & S, no problems with ears on that. When the SS & S large bags were no longer available in our area (at least a year ago), I switched to Diamond Naturals C & R Adult. More affordable than the ProPlan, readily available at Tractor Supply, no problem with gunky ears here and I haven't seen any decline in coat condition.

Don't have any experience with whatever might have changed with the SS&S since it's been quite awhile since I've fed it. I was very happy with it though when I was feeding it and could get the large bags.

I feed PPP to all my dogs. Some have gunky ears, some have squeaky clean ears.

I've been feeding my 2 year old male Pro Plan Large Breed Adult food ever since I weaned him off puppy food and have had problems with his ears for the last several months. My vet said it was not an ear infection but thought maybe an allergy. His breeder suggested it could possibly be the corn or wheat gluten in the food causing the problem. He shakes his head, scratches at his ears and has brown debris. I am thinking of changing to either Diamond Naturals C & R or one of the Blue Buffalo foods because they don't contain corn. Any other thoughts or suggestions? TIA