Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taste of the Wild

Which formula would you recommend of Taste of the Wild, Wetlands, Prairie or Pacific Stream, for two seniors, 8 & 9? One has a very sensitive stomach and the other is constantly licking her feet. Vet suggested I try this dog food as she as several clients that love it. I love the retired seniors and can't thank the breeder enough for allowing us to adopt these two wonderful retirees. I am presently feeding a corn, soy and wheat free food but want to go with a grain-free. I tried Orijen but it did not agree with them, too much weight gain, diarrhea even after reducing the amount fed. Thank you.

Re: Taste of the Wild

I tried it for 8 months and found that the dogs did not look as well on it as the prior food (which I was not going back to, due to a formula change). One dog looked awful on it.

I switched everyone (even the 2 thirteen year olds) to Pro Plan Perf. and they love it and are doing well. This was almost a year ago.

To Lab Breeder....which formula did you feed that you were not happy with?

I have been very happy with the wetlands version. I have a dog allergic to chicken. Get coat and he loves the food.

We absolutely love the Pacific Stream formula...everyone we know that asks us about their problem skinned dogs, ones that get lick granulomas, etc. is amazed at the difference this food has made- and not just in Labradors, but in a variety of breeds. Think it is definitely worth a try.

I had used Taste of the Wild with two of my older girls, one at 12 showing some allergy signs.
They did ok on it. I used both the Wetland and Pacific formulas. Personally I found the consistency in kibble size, color and an oily film on a few bags not to my liking and put them on the Acana everyone else was on. I used TOTW for some time, 8-10 months. They are both doing better to me on the Acana.
That said, not every dog benefits the same from any one food. Some folks like it and I would not discourage you from giving it a try. I hope you find something that helps the older ones.

Thank you for the replies. Is there a worry about mercury if feeding the Pacific Stream being salmon based every day? Also, is it easily digestible for the one with the sensitive stomach? Thank you.

I have a senior as well as younger girls with skin issues. We switch it up with flavors, except for the lamb.(we don't feed or eat lamb, personal preference) The dogs love it all!! And we have started adding a squirt of flax seed oil to meals. That has worked as well in keeping down the itchies. Another good grain free brand is Infinia.

As far as dogs who might not look as good(I'm assuming weight wise?) on this product, try upping their scoop size. As this product is all protein, it will take weight off. And on the flip side, it's a great product to drop some LBs without starving them!!

Good Luck and thanks to all those who gave me some hints on finding homes for some "leftover" puppies!!

Stay warm

I have my older ones on Pacific Stream and they do great on it. One old, spayed girl has had ongoing ear isses and there has been a definite improvement since she's been on TOTW Pacific Stream.

I had one girl that we suspected had allergies, so used the Pacific stream. After a week she refused to eat.

Used High Prairie for 8 months on the show and working dogs. One yellow lost her pigment and her eyes did not look good and she seemed "off". The others just had no significant change and some had drier coats. One started to refuse to eat the High Prairie.

They have all done well - across the board on the Pro Plan Perf.

Did you guys know that Costco sells a Salmon kibble now ? It's $29.00 for 35 pounds. I used to feed my crew TOTW Pacific Steam and loved it but it got pricy feeding everyone so as soon as Costcos here in the Northwest started carrying Nature's Domain, Grain Free kibble, I've been feeding it every since. My dogs are doing great on it !!!!