Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Search criteria

I often see posts on here, and in other venues, about a search for a stud dog asking, for example, what studs are dominant black or tested for EIC. One of the pending enhancements for LabraData is a search tool that will aid in the search for available stud dogs. But...to make this an effective tool, we need your help.
So, when you search for a stud dog, what are the criteria you use? Some of the keywords on the list already are: color, titles, proven?, whelp date, clearances....
What are your search criteria?

Any positive input/questions/advice/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Re: Stud Search criteria

I study the Stud dogs pedigree; Sire and Dam and what they have produced and Grandparents all the way back. Health issues in the pedigree are taken into consideration and want to see what Get he is producing. Titles are wonderful but sometimes NOT the biggest selling factor.

Pedigree first. Breed type,then movement . Clearances last.
Titles never enter my mind, as both they and clearances can be bought.

In addition to the health items already mentioned in this thread, since I primarily keep bitches, I look for a stud dog that comes from a strong bitch line. Is he producing females with the type I am looking for? What are his dam, granddams, female littermates like?

I think the discussion may be going a bit away from the real question. The LabraData Stud Finder feature will search through all the males in the database and produce a LIST of dogs to check out further. Then the user can look at the information (like pedigree) for each dog that meets the SEARCH criteria.

Some of the search fields already discussed are color (with a wide choice), proven, age (whelp date), test/certs status (again a wide choice), location. What else do breeders find important in narrowing the initial list - before studying the pedigree and other details?

Since I have an EIC carrier bitch, I am looking for a clear dog. She has all of her other clearances so once I find a clear dog I can then look at pedigrees, etc. There is no point in starting with EIC carriers since I cannot use them, regardless of their pedigree or other attributes. It would be the same if I had a PRA carrier. With other issues I would want to look at pedigrees - being able to weed out pedigrees with particular dogs in them that I would not want to double up on in a breeding. I would like to know if there are dogs out there with proven working (field) ability.

Once I find some clear dogs that meet the rest of my criteria, having the option to link to the dogs in his pedigree (stats and photos) as well as his offspring would be nice. In the end, I always want to see the stud dogs (and preferable some of their get)I use in person, so this type of search would be to get started and get ideas.

Color is irrelevant to me unless I find everything else I want and have a choice.

Well, I have never searched for titles except dogs with added hunt titles or obedience. Pedigee, Hip and Elbows, Heart, EIC, Optigen. Is that what you mean ? I can go with an Optigen B if my girl is tested and an A. I can go with Fair hips if I research all the family and offspring around the stud. Elbows need to pass, heart needs to be done, Optigen and EIC. JMHO

-Living or deceased. I believe you already have a frozen semen available option don't you?
-Proven, as in producing titled offspring, not just pups.
-listing dogs by owner and/or breeder.

Yes, users will be able to select whether to include frozen semen in the search - or not. Deceased dogs will not be included unless frozen is available. We can search for whether the dog has any litter records attached, but it gets very complicated if you have to search through every litter to see if there are titled dogs. That is something the user can do once the initial "list" of dogs is displayed. All will have a link to their database record and you can look up details, pedigree, owner, breeder etc. for them. We can add Owner and/or Location to the display list if that would be helpful.

A tad bit off subject , but what does one have to do to list their stud dog ?

So glad you asked! Just submit your dog at LabraData.org. The submittal form has a checkbox for whether the dog is available at stud and if you have frozen semen. For those whose dogs are already in LabraData, please submit an update so the "available at stud" and/or "frozen" fields can be marked on your dog's record. If a dog you own is already in the database (due to being in a pedigree, etc.) and you have not "claimed" it, then there is no owner linked to the record. You can submit a personal entry (to put you into the database) and then claim your dog by submitting the registration and other information just as you would if the dog were not already listed. It takes just a few minutes to enter a dog and requires a copy of the registration, which can be uploaded, emailed or snail-mailed if you do not have access to a scanner.

I would like to know how detailed information about one of my dogs got in your database when I did not submit it or give permission for anyone else to?

Curious
I would like to know how detailed information about one of my dogs got in your database when I did not submit it or give permission for anyone else to?

If your dog was the sire or dam of a dog submitted, they could have been entered that way, I believe. But since labradata requires actual COPIES of health clearances to have them entered, and scanned CERTIFIED pedigrees to have that inputted. Believe me I tried
I cannot imagine there was much that could be added without your (or maybe a co owners?) permission??

Anything that is a matter of verified public record can be added. Here are a few examples:
OFA info, foreign tests that are in that country's database, etc. Information from AKC or a foreign registry. Information on a certified pedigree or registration certificate for an offspring. People are not added without permission, even when the owner of a dog is known by many.

Also "archive" dogs that have been dead for 10 years may have some information provided from published sources - catalogues, magazine articles, owner websites, etc. The easiest and best way to control what information is provided for YOUR dog is to "claim" it and make sure the data is complete and up-to-date.