Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Evaluating Early whelps

My litter is 6 wks old now, but was born 4 days early (on day 59). They will be getting well checks and CERFs done just 1-2 days shy of 8 wks (by calendar date) but will likely be here at least til the weekend (~8.5 wks).

I'm wondering when best to schedule structural evaluations/ stacked photos? As I recall, Pat Hastings would recommend waiting a day or 2 later at least. They are doing plenty well-- all range from 7.5 - 8.5#. My inclination is to wait til the weekend for the final eval.

Re: Evaluating Early whelps

At her seminar I think Pat said it depends on how your lines mature. I'm not sure what her DVD says.

By 'early', are you counting from ovulation date or breeding date?

I believe it's 8 weeks, +/- three days. However, it also depends on how your lines mature. I have noticed that in one of my lines what I see at 6 weeks is what I get as an adult.

I look at mine at 6-6.5 weeks, my line gets legs by 8 weeks. What I see at 6 weeks is what I see at 6 months and what I will see at 2 1/2-3 years.
It depends on your line, some look better at 7-8 weeks.

Tiffany
I look at mine at 6-6.5 weeks, my line gets legs by 8 weeks. What I see at 6 weeks is what I see at 6 months and what I will see at 2 1/2-3 years.
It depends on your line, some look better at 7-8 weeks.

I remember that Tiffany. Your photographs at 7.5 weeks were a little more leggy than I was used to. That's b/c my pups develop later than yours. Look how great your litter turned out. You're lucky you know your lines well b/c other breeders sure didn't. What a good lesson I learned about different lines.

As everyone already said, go by the development of your lines OP. If you want to add 1 or 2 days for an early litter fine, I wouldn't add more than that. I would go by the breeding date and progesterone levels.

Gestation is 58 days, +/-, if puppies did not show signs of prematurity (like lack of hair) then they were not early.

Many breeders here (on the northeast corridor) may evaluate for type earlier than the 8 weeks, but the structural evaluation is truly most accurate in most lines at th 7.5 +/- time frame.

From ovulation.

Gestation is 63 days from ovulation on average, though my bitches have generally whelp at 62-63 from ovulation. This was earlier than I've ever had a girl whelp. I lost 2 pups due to them being early, I'm sure (not used to losing pups at/after whelp).

Mine typically look pretty true to form at 7-7.5 wks, so I'm thinking 7.5-8 wks maybe?????

Anne;
I stack/photograph my pups at 6 wks, 7 wks, and 8 wks.
mine usually look best at 6-7 wks, and are leggy at 8 wks, but the angles tend to develope more by 8 wks.
sometimes a pup may not have much rear at 6 wks, but has beautiful rear angles by 8 wks.

Thanks-- This is how my litters tend to be too (except mine get leggier at 7 wks), Cecile. I just did my 6 wk eval (but no pics) yesterday am. The one pup I've had my eye on doesn't have as nice of rear angles as I am hoping for, and now I'm questioning if that'll come or not.

Anne;

Try having someone photograph each puppy stacked for you, then you can look at the photos to help evaluate them. this really helps me, you can see more structure that way, instead of while you are stacking a squirming pup! I have found the rear angles often develope more as they get closer to 8 wks!
The pup I kept from my last litter, looked rather straight in the rear at 6 and 7 wks, but great at 8 wks, and she is 3 mos old now, with a gorgeous rear and super movement!

I just pulled up the photos taken at 6 wks and 7+ of mom as a pup, and they are obvious. 7+ wks show rear angles on my pups but 6 wks are rather straight. Just wondering how I should adjust for this litter w/ them being a half week early (at least).

We'll do pics next weekend at 7.5 wks (7wks?), but also a few days later if I think they are needed.