Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
white spot

I'm wondering I kept a a bitch out of a litter with a white patch on her chest. Thought that maybe as she got older she would lose those hairs. She was the best one but obviously I could't show her because of that. So i'm wondering if any of her pups will have white patches also?

Re: white spot

How big is the white spot? If it isn't that large I do not understand why you cannot show her if she is otherwise a lovely bitch. A white spot on the chest is not desirable but is permissible - missing teeth are also not desirable but dogs with missing teeth are shown and finish all the time.

Of course you can show her. I have a bitch with a good size white spot on the chest she won the Labrador National, another Specialty and reserve at 3 specialtys, of course under breeder judges. Out of 2 good size litters she produced 2 with white, which is not a big deal.

I have to tell you that in all of the 18 years that I have been showing and breeding I have never seen so many dogs with white on their chest. I think there are certain lines that produce it consistantly and many are linebreeding on those lines. I know that there are worse things that could be produced in a litter, but I had a litter wherer the spot covered the whole chest on a couple of the pups and I had a horrible time trying to sell them. In fact two people that had deposits on them when they were born withdrew them when they came out to see them.

Breedertoo
I have to tell you that in all of the 18 years that I have been showing and breeding I have never seen so many dogs with white on their chest. I think there are certain lines that produce it consistantly and many are linebreeding on those lines. I know that there are worse things that could be produced in a litter, but I had a litter wherer the spot covered the whole chest on a couple of the pups and I had a horrible time trying to sell them. In fact two people that had deposits on them when they were born withdrew them when they came out to see them.

I have had white spots of varying sizes. The biggest one had pet people fighting over her. I have never had an issue selling a pet pup with a white spot. I even had one with a white toe, although when I saw her grown up, the white on the toe was gone. I have shown one successfully with a small white spot.

In the whole scheme of things, a white spot would not bother me in the least.

We have a new little boy that has a small white spot on his chest. He is just SCRUMPTIOUS! I would not dream of not showing him!

If you think she is lovely and deserving of what you would be proud to have at the end of your lead, I say get out and show her! Remember: You pay for an opinion when you enter a ring. It doesn't mean it is right or wrong. If she makes your heart go pitter patter enjoy her!

JMHO
Michael