General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
litter eating stools?

baffled and would like input.
we have a 5 week old litter of 9
they started eating solids 2 weeks ago.
eating Proplan puppy (about 6 cups three times a day) and still nursing.
wormed at 2 and 4 weeks old.
they are housed in our kitchen and have a 8 x 10 area with potty boxes at one end, they they use most of the time.
the entire litter looks great, feels great, stools are tootsie rolls.
but I have found a few of the puppies eating poo out of the litter box.
Mom is still cleaning up very well and we change the boxes out 2 - 3 times each day.

Never in 25 years have I had puppies eat stool!

what would cause them to do this?

Re: litter eating stools?

I'm sure it started out as being hunger. With a litter that size, they need more food, even fed seperate . So the smaller ones get equal amounts .
Likely by now , it is a habit. If it really grosses you out, you could put them in puppy playpens, where they would be on a grate and the pooh would fall down under in a lined pan for easy cleanup. They would have no access to it, that would break the habit.

for a litter that size and age the amount of food sounds fine, to much will upset the stomach and give them the runs.

what did you worm with?

I've had litters through the years that for some unknown reason, were poop eaters at that age. No idea whay....nothing different other then the mother. I think it depends on the pups, just like some adults. They stopped once in homes and separated from the littermates.

I can't really add anything but did want to share that a breed I've owned/shown to more than a few championships and bred that are THE biggest poop eaters are Flat Coats... It is the reason I no longer have them. Hubby couldn't deal with it.

I have had a few labradors since owning the flat coats do it and my hubby swears it's because the flat coats taught them. Who knows!

I think we'd all agree in that whomever bottles a cure will be filthy rich~

Like Ingrid, I too have had the odd litter over the years that does this. doG only knows why.