Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bred by or Open

Which class do(those experienced with showing in both)you most often enter in? And do you find that the winner most often comes from Open? As a breeder I would think one would want to enter in the Bred By class but wondered if you felt it was detrimental when it came to actually taking the points. TIA for any input!

Re: Bred by or Open

I love the bred by class. I always enter it if I am the breeder and owner on my dog/bitch. I really can't say that I have encountered any discrimination from judges just because I wasn't in the open class. If you bred/own it, and you're proud of it, show it in the bred by.

Be proud!!!!

If you think enough of a judge to enter under him/her, then show the best "fruits" of your breeding program to demonstrate what "Breeders" think, rather than handlers.

Beth
Which class do(those experienced with showing in both)you most often enter in? And do you find that the winner most often comes from Open? As a breeder I would think one would want to enter in the Bred By class but wondered if you felt it was detrimental when it came to actually taking the points. TIA for any input!

You're asking tough, hypothetical questions. I think that's the reason for lack of answers or would hope that's why there's a lack of them.

There are many things to evaluate before you make a decision.

If you've been breeding for a few generations at least, are proud of what you're breeding and feel your boy or girl can win out of any class then go with the BBE. I feel it's a more prestigious win. I'm giving you opinionated answers though.

With so many co owned, purchased dogs today that can't be shown in that class, you will probably see the best of the best in the BBE class. Let me put it this way, what the owner's feel are the best of the best. The BBE class might have smaller no.'s if there aren't many bred by exhibitor dogs at a particular show.

If you or I have a great dog or bitch which has been bred by the owner, I know I would only want to show in the BBE class. Finishing dogs or bitches out of strictly the BBE class is a bit more prestigious Championship in my opinion.

You might want to do research on INFODOG that could answer some of your questions. If you look at enough yet different type of shows, you might get an idea of what's best in your situation. Then take the judge into consideration also.

Each show is going to vary depending upon majors or smaller attendance. Evaluate each show accordingly and hope the judge notices your dogs as everyone else will be doing more then likely.

Thank you! And yes, I always felt that way as well about the class but noticed it wasn't one of the larger numbered entries generally.

Just wanted to see if there was an opinion amongst the more experienced Lab breeders/owner handlers on choosing one class over the other. I appreciate your thorough answer!

If I go to a all breed show then I usually enter Open (unless the judge really is a good lab judge). At specialties I enter in bred by. Over the years I have noticed that some all breed judges don't even bother looking past the Open class - sad...