Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
travel with puppy

I am flying home with a new puppy in the cabin for the
first time. A friend loaned me a sherpa bag. I was told to try to get an aisle seat. Anyone else have
advice when traveling with a puppy? I can't wait to
get this little one home. Looking forward to puppy breath!
Thanks
Debbie

Re: travel with puppy

- Try to keep them awake and active prior to flying, that way they will sleep for most of the flight
- Pick up a disposable bed liner that you can get at a Petsmart just incase you have an accident.
- Take a roll of paper towel, with a small kitchen garbage bag

Have a safe flight!

If you can get a seat at the very front, you'll have more room. Have fun!

Expect a lot of attention on your cutie-pa-tootie! Flight attendants will fall in love :)

I'm looking into flying with a puppy too. For people who have done this, did the puppies not whine or yap much on the flight? Worried about whether everyone on the plane would have to put up with hours of noise. The airline rules say puppy must stay in carrier, is this rule usually not enforced? I just don't see how a puppy is going to spend several hours in a tiny carrier without making a fuss, or a mess!

Good luck Debbie.

CM
If you can get a seat at the very front, you'll have more room. Have fun!

I would say the same *but* most airlines do not allow anything in the bulkhead section anymore. Service dogs, yes but that's all *tmk*. Even purses, water bottles filled after screening or backpacks are moved above To break the camel's back, there is no room beneath where you are seated. Absolutely check with your airline to be sure but that seems to be the case with the bulkhead sections. They do allow full grown service dogs there

So unless you're flying 1st class, that's out of the picture today. Even if you're 1st class, call ahead of time.
The aisle seat sounds like the best spot b/c bulkhead doesn't work anymore. Make sure there is under seat storage. You can't use an exit row. It would be perfect b/c they have more leg room but they have restrictions.
You'll do fine and yes, the stewards or 'esses will be lovin' on your pup. If they're animal peeps they'll have the pup out of the sherpa holding him or her like a baby.
I hope you and the pup have a blast together! I've never heard a bad story of a pup flying in the cabin. I enjoy my flights delivering pups much more than special semen deliveries.

good morning from finland, finnair retired stewardess flying with many of her lab puppies from JFK -HELSINKI, LHR - HELSINKI using the sherpa bags.

the bag did fit under the front seat, and i mostly did sit in the rear ail seat, or wehn lucky had some free seats beside me...

the flights did go fine, no crying mostly sleeping and some petting from time to time. was fed and taken out for any activities prior to flight.

cabin attendants do love the puppies as does the check-in personnel, as i usually show the puppy´s head while checking in...also giving the puppy new experiences. birmingham - helsinki passengers once were like fan-club of boothgates miss showbiss, a chocolate baby flying to finland...

had a hilarious check in with my daughter-in-laws 2 saluki puppies, each in their sherpa bag, they screamed like only little pigs can, at helsinki airport...could be heard everywhere ... but when onboard slept the europeian flight like good puppies do.

would also pay attention to the security check operation, that puppy is safe when picked out for security check.

wishing you a most enjoyable, safe and happy flight/life with your new family member.

ritva

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I would not have thought about paper towels and trash bag. They are in the stuff to go now! Glad to hear that the flight attendants are pretty good about the pups. Sounds like we could attract some attention! Oh Boy!
I am going to relax and have fun. Good luck to you too Laurel
Debbie

Let us know how the trip goes pls!

I had a flight attendant who strictly enforced the rule that the puppy had to be in the sherpa bag at all times; not even allowed to have just his head poking out. Poor pup was getting very hot in the sherpa. I asked for a glass of ice chips and was "smuggling" them to the pup throughout the flight.

I sure hope you have more lenient flight attendants than I did. Good luck with your trip and the new puppy!