Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pedigree abbreviations

What does "SH CH" stand for at the beginning of a dog's pedigree?

Re: pedigree abbreviations

I think it might be for "show champion" used in other countries than the US, like Australia.

Or...

Senior Hunt Champion if here in the States?

Re: Or...

SH is at the other end ... are you sure you don't mean SR which is Started Retriever (NAHRA) Hunt Test Titles

Is there such a thing as Senior Hunt Champion??? Never heard of one. The UKC may have a title which goes in front of the name, SH for Started Hunter, but it should explain that it is UKC, not AKC.

Just a stab in the dark...

working my brain around titles I've heard over the years. I could have been confused with Started Hunter.

In Great Britain in order to be a Ch, a dog must qualify in the field. If they don't have the field qualification, they are designated a Show Champion- SH CH. This may be true in other countries as well.

It is at the beginning of the name on different breeder sites, not AKC pedigrees. I think I may have found the answer here:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopic-39152-next.html

Looks like in England, SH CH means show champion, and just CH means they have both a show championship and a working championship.

Show Champion, SI agree it is from GB, most dogs that have it are imports.

"Looks like in England, SH CH means show champion, and just CH means they have both a show championship and a working championship."

Not a working (field) championship, but working certification, somewhat equivalent to our WC.

http://www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm?v_page_titles=2
It must be from another country/organisation.

Hi..SH.CH. is used in many foreign countries to denote a dog that is a show champion BUT has not taken or passed any field tests. In England a dog has to do that to become a "full" (CH.)champion not just a SH.CH>