Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dog door that is quiet

Looking at replacing my doggie door off my kitchen. Mine is old and can not replace it due to them not making that size anymore. I want something that I can close(night and while at work). Need it do be quiet though so I don't wake up my family and neighbors with them going in and out of it. TIA

Re: dog door that is quiet

The only door that I know of that is quiet is one of the heavy plastic 'floppy' doors...I have the one that has two doors and it can expand to fit the width of your wall (bought it at Menards). It does have a hard plastic door that you can slide into the track when you don't want your dogs going out. It's not super insulated though so you will feel heat/cold, especially if the wind is coming from the wrong direction.

Contact Anne Maynard of Kimleigh Labs. She found a swinging hinged door doggie door that you almost cannot hear shut. It's marvelous.

I have a Smart Pet Dog Door that I love. It's heavy duty, very quiet and seals tight. www.fancypaws.com/carinpetdoor.html. I have the all aluminum one but they also have a clear one.

I found through Tammi Wilson, the smart pet door. I paid extra and got the lexan not all aluminum. It has a lock built in so you can lock it when not home. You can also get a guillotine I suppose, but if it's in your home, would look bad. I have had mine since July, but the frame is pulling apart on the door panel. Called the salesman up and he said they are guaranteed for life, so they are sending me a replacement with return postage on the old one, how nice! I am replacing my pickwick doors, because although I LOVE how sturdy they are, they are SOO loud, and even Mason hasn't found a way to quiet them, and neither did my husband!I also found another door, but way too expensive, can't afford over $400 per door.

I have the old Carlson doors, aluminum ones with guillotines as well. The Carlons' held up pretty well but also started to some apart around the door edges. It seems to be a problem as I have another one that is doing it. I did not remember that they were guaranteed for life. Thanks Ann for reminding me. I have a call into the company to see if they will replace them.

Are any of the dog doors being talked about here able to withstand a chewer? It would be heaven to have a quiet dog door that the girls wouldn't eat.

I have dogs that get bored and would chew, but the doors I have are hard and unless the dog sits in the doorway with the door swung open, don't see how they can chew it. We line the tunnel with sheet metal and cover all wood.The doors have metal frames inside and out.

I've had my Smart Pet Door for 6 years and it's gotten lots of use but it's still holding up just fine.

I have plexidor dog doors in my kennel ( the wall unit). They keep upgrading the doors, and the ones I have in now have not been chewed on. They are quiet, and the dogs have no problems getting in and out, even my old 13 year old and my Bostons....I got them from Pet Doors USA in Florida.

HI Chris, I researched the plexidoors, even talked with boarding kennels who used them. I just couldn't afford the 450.00 a door :(