Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you consider Show Potential??

Just would like to hear other's experience..
You purchase a "Show Potential" Bitch and she doesn't like to show? Yes, I know things could be alot worse, but we got her to enjoy showing and she'll just tuck her tail all day long in the ring. She is OFA good and I know that she'll produce nice Pups BUT....
No flames please, but if she doesn't even place after numerous shows with a professional handler?
What would you do??

Re: What do you consider Show Potential??

"She is OFA good and I know that she'll produce nice Pups"

???????????? and you know that how?

Did u get this gal as a young adult or as a puppy? have you contacted her Breeder? What does the Pro-Handler tell you?

If you want to show and have fun, spay her, then save your $$$ and start over, socialize your next "potential" puppy ALOT....

Why not try rally, hunt tests, agility or tracking??? If her temperament is super soft, she may not like anything that involves pressure/stress. And to me, that is something to seriously think about from a breeding standpoint. I'd at least make sure to breed her to a very outgoing, happy go lucky type if so.

This is a training issue. Have you considered the possibility that it is your problem not hers???
Hire a new handler , just once and see what happens, if they get more out of her , than you do .....get your checkbook out .
Somewhere along the line , she has been "rewarded" for this behavior, I'm sure not intentionally, but none the less, it is a "set' behavior, you must train it out of her. Replace it with something else. Change EVERYTHING you are currently doing, new style of handling, new style of reward, new style of training, NEW collar /lead [different syle than her current one]. She must "think" this is a new game, and there are new rules to this one.

If she doesn't even place with a professional handler I'd go back to the breeder and ask her what she is willing to do for you as far as giving you a partial credit towards another show potential. You can keep this girl and try other things with her or look for a loving home that you approve of. I would not return a shy girl to a breeder if it's a large place with many dogs..it might make her even more shy. Don't breed her just b/c she is OFA good and has a nice pedigree. Now, if she were at least placing I'd consider keeping her.

You did not make it clear what you considered your options to be. Are you asking if you should be able to "return" her? Are you asking if you should get some sort of "rebate"? Are you asking if you should include her in your breeding program despite her attitude? Your post was vague about what you REALLY want to find out. Do some serious thinking about what you consider as workable options, then you can ask for more useful input.

When did you start taking her to the shows? If you had her at home or in a kennel for her whole puppy hood, don't complaint now because she acts not well socialized. Take her out to parks, to friend houses, places just for fun and she'll start soon enjoying been out. Maybe she doesn't like that Pro-handler. Use another one or take her yourself until she feels more comfortable.

What do you want to do? Return her to the breeder because she doesn't show well or are you trying to justify breeding her just because she doesn't have shows to back up whether she is worthy of being bred?

If my dogs don't like to show, I start doing other things with them. We have CGC's, WC's, Rally titles, OB titles etc. If all you do is show and want to do conformation and she's not doing that for you, you need to think if you want to keep your pet and save your hobby for another dog...

I would never think of asking a breeder for money back if the pup didnt turn out as he/she grows up. This is a gamble and most dont turn out. If they dont work out we spay and place them in a pet home, move on. Why not get a 1 year old next time so you will know what you are getting.

None of my dogs are kennel dogs all live in my home! She is very social and has been shown by myself, my children and 4 other handlers. She travels great & is as sweet as can be. I'd never part with her . I have always stayed in touch with the breeder, but I've been seriously thinking I want another girl. I don't think they owe me another puppy by any means, but I hope to get a discount and I guess I have to figure out a way to ask .
I appreciate your replies!

I don't think you should ask for any discount. If she is the perfect dog elsewhere, then she probably got traumatized while at the shows or around the show ring area. That's not the breeder's fault.

Unless its hips, elbows, eyes, if guaranteed, thats it. Your not entitled on a discount on the next one. As puppies, 1 out of 10 will make it to be show quality as they grow up. Things happen as they grow up if your looking for a show dog. You cant expect a breeder to keep supplying you with free puppies until 1 works out. Get an older one that has turned out if you dont want to keep going thru puppies.

I think you are saying two different things here. She is well socialized but tucks her tail in the ring? She has been shown by 4 handlers, your children and yourself but tucks her tail in the ring.

First- do the pro handlers believe she is show quality?
It's a lot more fun to stay at home with other dogs on the couch than going out in the world alone! Are you doing ringside pickups or letting the dog travel with the handler? Any handler worth his salt will take the dog and train it to show before showing it if that is what's needed. They need to have the dog with them to build the trust needed to actually perform in the ring. Its not something you can do being shuffled into the ring with strange people on a moment's notice.
Maybe it is not show quality or has not been properly trained, but the show ring is where breeding quality is judged. If you want a pet, by all means keep her, but if you want a show prospect you need to get serious about what is really required to get there.

WELL SAID!!!

well
I think you are saying two different things here. She is well socialized but tucks her tail in the ring? She has been shown by 4 handlers, your children and yourself but tucks her tail in the ring.

First- do the pro handlers believe she is show quality?
It's a lot more fun to stay at home with other dogs on the couch than going out in the world alone! Are you doing ringside pickups or letting the dog travel with the handler? Any handler worth his salt will take the dog and train it to show before showing it if that is what's needed. They need to have the dog with them to build the trust needed to actually perform in the ring. Its not something you can do being shuffled into the ring with strange people on a moment's notice.
Maybe it is not show quality or has not been properly trained, but the show ring is where breeding quality is judged. If you want a pet, by all means keep her, but if you want a show prospect you need to get serious about what is really required to get there.

I agree with those who say to try performance. Agility is known to build confidence. I am a 4-H leader and have seen many dogs' confidence and temperament come up after as they succeed in agility. Then they start being "up" in all the other rings.

My guess is that this pup did not meet 100 different people in the first 3 months like most obedience people make sure their pups do. Now you have to make up for it. You may also try asking others at shows to feed her treats (bring her there hungry). It may make her excited about going where lots of people and dogs are.

I wouldn't give up quite yet - you can build and change temperament somewhat.

Thanks! I was vague in my post. I wanted to hear others scenarios to make sure we covered all the bases. Alot of it makes sense because we did get her at 5 months old and I did handling classes, but she probably wasn't out before that. I already made arrangements with her handler and she'll be going to stay with her after Westminster for more training and bonding time. Thanks again

Show potential is just that, potential. No one can predict how a puppy will turn out.Most breeders go through many they grow out to get that one that goes in the show ring.

Why would you have a puppy out with a handler? A puppy should be at home getting one on one attention, going for happy walks, learning life if fun.

Take it to some small shows with you, someone it knows and trusts, and have fun. Most puppies arent ready to win so give it some happy experiences.

To address the discount question, it sounds like you have a very nice dog. You got the dog when it was 5 months old, so it had been run on long enough to determine it was a promising puppy. I see no reason why you should expect a discount or even ask for one.

I have to admit it did cross my mind, but it wouldn't be worth it. That's why I posted... Truth is I'm lucky to have her and although I hoped to show her myself, I'm still thankful for her!

Or long enough that the breeder knew she wasn't going to show but found an unsuspecting newbie that was glad to buy her and give the breeder puppies back.
Hey but whatever it takes right?

Breeder
To address the discount question, it sounds like you have a very nice dog. You got the dog when it was 5 months old, so it had been run on long enough to determine it was a promising puppy. I see no reason why you should expect a discount or even ask for one.

I am far from an "unsuspecting newbie"

How was her personality at 5 months when you got her?

Personality and temperament of a young dog are not a simple thing to evaluate if you are looking for a dog that can handle stressful conditions.

How a dog deals with stress, ie new and different situations, stimuli and pressure may be telling as to how it will react to attending Dog shows. All dogs respond to pressure and stress in different ways. Often the signs are subtle and unless we are really watching carefully , may not even see them.

Many dogs stress Down, others stress Up. Getting a dog to learn to relax and be comfortable in new and stressful situations is most often something that needs to be worked on for anyone that does any kind of performance or showing. Self- Confidence can but built with training , exposure and giving the dog success and predictable expectations. Even something as simple as trick training that you start at home.. and then progress to various settings may help with stress. This gives the dog something else to think about. Teaching Hi-Five, sitting up on haunches, coming up for hugs, tugging with a toy, or even carrying a toy.. can all be used to bring a sense of predictability to the situation. But this type of behavior needs to be built from the ground up for dogs that worry.