Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Loaders again

Getting ready to buy a new front loader washing machine. LG has a reasonably priced 4.0 cu.ft. that I'm thinking about getting. Would appreciate any feedback on LG front loaders or recommendations for other brands.
TIA

Re: Front Loaders again

I just got this model in August. My husband wanted it and I sort of balked at it because I had heard that front loaders are not all they're cracked up to be. Well....it won me over! Yesterday I spent the day washing all the big stuff in the house, comforter, heavy denim couch covers, and many many dog beds. The washer worker like a champ! Before I got my front loader I'd have to lug all this stuff to the laundramat and spend a fortune, now I can just relax and do it at home. That being said...I use a once monthly "front loader cleaner" and I always leave the washer door opened a crack for airing out. All in all, I'm pleased with my washer! Best of luck...

I absolutely hate my front load and can't wait for it to die!! I don't think it cleans as well conserving the water so most times I do an extra rinse just to be certain and when you're done washing you have to leave the door open for at least 30 minutes so that mildew doesn't form on the rubber seal ring at the door. I'll take my extra large capacity top load any day!!! I just wish I would have known all this before spending the money on this "state of art" machine!!

Front Loaders again

My first front loader was a Sears Kenmore that I bought and had for over 12 years. The washer went first and then the dryer. I would have had them fixed but I didn't buy the warranty. I just bought the LG washer & dryer and LOVE them! Yes, it's a pain to leave the door open but it really does the job nicely! I don't use that much soap and if I really want something clean, I put 1 small cap of clorox in the wash and it does the trick!

I have had my Samsung front loader washer and dryer fro over 2 years and love them! One reason I went with this brand is because I have a first floor laundry and needed something fairly quiet as well as quality machines. Not cheap, but sure do love them!

We have had our LG washer (and dryer) for just over a year now and so far I'm really happy with them. It does seem to be the case with front load washers that you need to leave the door open between uses, but I personally haven't found that to be a big issue. Our washer has a "tub clean" cycle that they recommend you use about once a month to keep the interior nice and clean. We also bought the pedestals. I find the extra height they give the w/d a big plus.

I should mention that I only have one dog, so I don't suppose mine get the amount of wear and tear that a multiple dog household would.

Hope you find something you're happy with. :)

Check on size again; there IS a 4.2 cubic foot drum sized FL washer out there, but I can't remember who makes it. Personally, I do like mine for washing the dog stuff, but I, too, have some issues with how it cleans (or not) our everyday clothing.

It does a great job of the heavy duty jeans, towels, dog beds, etc. as well as a great job on my delicates. I have always left the door open for aeration (even on my top loader) and find it less unsightly on my front load. The front load machine doesn't "wind up" my sheets like the GE top load did.

Haven't had a moment's trouble with my whirlpool duet in these 5 years, plenty of adjustments for soil level, spin speed, water temp, etc.

And Whirlpool is one of the few manufacturers still in the USA. That's what sold me on it originally. and how well it works is why I would buy it again.

I've had my Whirlpool Duet for 3 years now and I don't like it at all. I don't think that it cleans very well and after I wash any dog bedding (even after I put it on the machine wash setting with clorox) all of our clothes have that horrible doggy smell. YUCK!

Another option to consider is a top load (without agitator) high-efficency machine. My brother has a Maytag Bravos that works well.

At first I loved my front loader as much as my Dyson! Oh I washed everything.... Then I noticed our clothes are not as clean. Spots don't come out. I agree with above that it doesn't have enough water in it. If you over stuff it, the clothes on the inside sometimes don't get wet enough!
Nope, if I get a bigger house or remodel, I will have the FL as my dog washer and buy a regular agitator model for my family... Don't want to tell husband that as these were a fortune!

I agree with Elizabeth 100%.... I miss my top loader..with really groady stuff I could lift the lid..soak as long as I wanted then repeat the cleaning cycle as many times as I needed to. I saw an add for a Sears Top loader with a drum big as a front loader...I sure would buy it but my front loader is just 4 years old.

I have an Lg front loader and would not recommend them. Because I am allergic to scented laundry soaps, I can really "smell" my clothes. They NEVER smell clean. I find myself adding a little bleach to everything. I have tried everything to make them smell better. I would opt for a high capacity top loader if I had it to do all over again. Oh, and it is currently in need of repair, again. The door won't lock, and it won't work without the door locking..sigh.

Have a whirlpool duet. Love the way it cleans BUT we have had 3 repairs in 7 years. My husband has to regularly take it apart and clean out the trap that collects things like paperclips, marbles, and hair pins. They should have made this trap easy access.

So I like how it washes but it's not durable - the repair man said last time that a bearing is going out and then it won't be worth repairing. I can hear the loose bearing when it spins - so almost dead at 7 years old! Several of my friends also have the duet with same experience -washes well but not durable - but these are families of 9 or more people. However, I think washing dog stuff would be the same as 3 or 4 large loads of towels/jeans a day.

I've had the Maytag Neptune front loader model for 12 years. Never had a repair and use it for everything, icky dog stuff included, and love it. I don't remember its capacity and only wish it held more. i don't leave the door open and haven't had an issue with mildew, mold or bad smells -- but about every 5th load or so is one with bleach.

My mother has the same machine, the Neptune, and loves it. This is before Maytag sold out and went the way of everything else...downhill. I have a top load Cabrio by Whirlpool which acts sort of like a front load but it's upright. It doesn't have the big agitator. I do pre-rinse any solids, or particles off in my dog tub first as I did notice it doesn't get it all off those large fleeces. After doing so it does do a nice job and gets stuff pretty wicked out before going in the dryer. It's pretty quiet and doesn't skip around the floor like my last Maytag top loader(that was a joke from the get-go). That was right after Maytag sold out and I was not aware, or I would never have bought one. My first Maytag lasted 20 years with one small repair.

Thank you everyone for your help. I bought a 4.2 cu ft Fridgidaire front loader and the 8.0 cu ft dryer that goes with it. My old front loader was a Fridgidaire that was 15 years old, the shaft on the drum broke and the dryer still works but is squeaking. I never had a problem with the washer smelling and the salesman explained why LG does. There is a reservoir under the drum that holds quite a bit of water after the wash is done and this may be why the poster above notices a smell in her clothes. I think he said that reservoir water is mixed with fresh water when the next load is done. LG's higher end models have an internal fan that automatically comes on if you don't remove your clothes and you can also set it to run all the time at a cost of a penny a day but the salesman still suggested that the door be left open.

I liked the tilted drum on the LG, it looks like it would make removing clothes easier but I heard they've had problems with that design also. Who knows though because the store only sells them. Most places that I looked at only sell LG and don't service them. The bottom trap on the LG bothered me, I was worried that dog hair would clog it up but the salesman said it wouldn't as it only holds buttons, hair pins etc.

My old Fridgidaire never needed service in 15 years and the store that I bought them from also services them. If anyone is interested in Fridgidaire I would recommend looking at an independent dealer because the models that Sears carried were not ones that I would buy, they make a lot of models. Fridgidaire is also a couple of inches shorter than other models and since mine are built in under a counter I decided to stick with the same brand I had before. I hope the reliability and quality is still there like my old model but you never know now a days.

Too bad I don't know where you are located, as I would have sold you my 4.2 Frigidaire front load for a song just to get rid of the darned thing!!!

Maybe it is just that I am in northern NH but when I read "front loader" all I could think of was a tractor to move all this snow!!!

We have the LG set and have loved them since the day we got them. We actually had an elderly family member living here and needed the sanitize cycle and bought maybe the higher end? It washes great but I think that the electric drier is still costing us plenty. Not sure if it is any more efficient. It does bigger stuff, no problem

LOL!!! Syracuse just keeps getting socked too!

I have two sets, one downstairs and one upstairs , I know that seems obcessive, but I do alot of laundry, and it becomes a laundramat around here on Monday. I actually think my FL does a better job and less wrinkles too. They are GE, only because we get a discount as one of my husbands perks.
I tend to put the real yukky stuff in the agitator model because it is older , the white crate pads are not as clean as I think they should be. Even with double rinsing.