Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how to run a successful raffle?

All you "raffle veterans" out there- any tips on how to run a successful raffle? I have some great donations from various vendors, but I also want to make sure I ask enough for tickets. Some of these prizes are really great, so I do want to sell myself (or my club) short! How can I 'talk up' the table prior to the show?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Re: how to run a successful raffle?

I think to start with you need to have some really great items. Some larger items like crates, or xpens are a draw, as well as gift certificates, and coupons for handling services, and OFA or Optigen etc. Nice baskets full of toys, collars, note cards, or tea towels have been good items and baskets with wine and cheese are great too, art work and clothing do well too. We would hit the vendors at shows during the year before the raffle and ask for donations. You can make up a receipt with the club letter head for their income taxes which they appreciate for their donation. Let people know before hand what some of the great items you have on your raffle table are and remind them to stop by. As for ticket prices I personally think that more for less is better. In other words give people a good number of tickets for their money to make it exciting and give them a better chance to win. A raffle is pure profit for the club and the biggest money maker for some specialties. Have fun with it and set it up so that you are really giving people the most for their money. Have someone walk around during the show selling tickets to give busy exhibitors a chance to buy their tickets. Have a great time and good luck!
Traci

Actually, you should also include "non doggy" related items that would be of interest. I personally can't stand all the doggy art and such you find at the raffles. I look for useful items dog related or not.

End the raffle well BEFORE the end of the show, or evening if it is at a club dinner- and post or announce the ending time. Many people won't buy into it if they have to hang around when they want to hit the road or get back to their rooms to do dogs. Rather than making people wait for you to pull the tags, just give them a time to pick up items with the tags attached. That way they can just scan to table to see if they won anything and move on.

I find that people are going to typically spend about $10 or $20 on raffle tickets regardless of how much an individual ticket costs. Therefore, I think it is good to give a lot of tickets for the money. For example, 30 tickets for $20 is very reasonable. Makes people feel like they are getting a lot for their money.

Another thing you can do, if your show is a 2 day show, have a separate raffle each day. Split the expensive raffle items between the 2 days so people have a reason to buy each day, and they will.

Good luck!

M
Actually, you should also include "non doggy" related items that would be of interest. I personally can't stand all the doggy art and such you find at the raffles. I look for useful items dog related or not.

And personally, I LOVE the doggy art and fun stuff!! Perhaps a little bit of everything would appeal to a larger audience. At the San Diego show, one of the members donates a handpainted wooden chair with a hole cutout in the seat for a planter. BIG HIT every year! It seems the one-of-a-kind items are popular. Good luck with your raffle!

Refrain from the "re-gifting" idea. Some raffles have turned into a large number of "re-gifts" and I've heard negative commentary about such happenings.

And yes, ask a couple of volunteers to walk through the show site and crating areas to hawk tickets to participants. They will need to be able to sell the tickets and make change. Be sure to emphasize what good cause is supported with profits.

Thanks everyone great input!!

"Another thing you can do, if your show is a 2 day show, have a separate raffle each day. Split the expensive raffle items between the 2 days so people have a reason to buy each day, and they will."

What a GREAT idea! I have gotten 2 of a few things... I will have to see if we can pull this off!!

I am the Raffle Chair for the 2012 Siberian National and I too am very interested in hints and tips for a better raffle!

Johanne

Love the doggy art!
M

And personally, I LOVE the doggy art and fun stuff!! Perhaps a little bit of everything would appeal to a larger audience. At the San Diego show, one of the members donates a handpainted wooden chair with a hole cutout in the seat for a planter. BIG HIT every year! It seems the one-of-a-kind items are popular. Good luck with your raffle!

I love the dog art also. I've bid at Potomac on silent auction and regular auction winning several over the years.

Have you seen some of the work Amy Reges who is also OtterTail Labrador Art, produces and donates? It's magnificent with terrific creativity and true artistic talent. If you Google her, you can see some of her work online, some donated or with a heavy percentage going to special dogs.

She created beautiful items for the Mid J obedience classes last October. She also has large percentages of sales go to certain rescue groups like the L.R.C.P. Lab Rescue, Labmed and many others. I think any Lab lover would also love Amu Reges' work.

If you have really good things, a Silent Auction makes more $$,

than a raffle and it runs itself. Build the suspense, by giving closing announcements, at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 2 minutes, etc, then loudly countdown the last minute, by seconds. Sometimes the bidding gets frantic and everyone has a lot of fun.
As soon as it closes, have several people help circle the last bidder & amount, on the bidding sheets.

Explore the talents & professions, of your club members, for donations:
A Photographer - a photo shoot of your dog
A Dog Trainer - A Series of Obedience or Puppy Training classes
A gourmet cook could donate a gourmet dinner
A weekend at a member's vacation home or cabin

Does your club have Master Gardeners? Artists?, Beauticians?, Masseuse?,etc??
Everyone has a gift, now you just need to find their talents!

Re: If you have really good things, a Silent Auction makes more $$,

I agree that Silent Auctions have the potential to make a great deal of money .. however, not if you are running them during a show. People are busy showing dogs and can't make the final bidding so are less likely to participate. If you are doing it during the show day, raffle all the way .. People will make an effort to get there before the draw depending on their schedule to get their tickets in the bucket. If you are doing it in the evening during a dinner function or AGM, etc. then silent auction.