Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Metal Crate Pans

Hi, I know this was discussed before but please refresh my memory. Where is the best place and price to get metal replacement pans for the Midwest Series? My plastic lasted with just one dog, but now that a couple like to share the crate it has cracked and with a third on the horizon, no sense going back to plastic.
thanks for any advice.
Annmarie

Re: Metal Crate Pans

If you get an answer to this I will get some too! I have been trying to replace the plastic pans to no avail. They never have the size I need, or just don't have any. I love my metal crates and those pans have lasted. I've never seen replacement metal pans.

I am waiting for replies on this also. However, here I only use pans when traveling. At home, I have cut horse stall mats for the crates. These give a softer surface for puppies who would chew a pad or rug. Not as easy to clean as a pan though.

I get mine from ryans pet
http://www.ryanspet.com/catItem.aspx

Dog.com carries some that fit some MW crates:

General Cage - 35" X 23" - fits midwest select and i-crates. Also some drop pin MW crates. I routinely swap out MW pans for General Cage ones that I have had for a while.

If you can get the epoxy coated pans (in black or white), they are more versatile, as they do not stain a yellow Lab the way new silver, galvanized pans do. Another thing I do is get a metal pan and put a plastic one of the same brand inside it for comfort (more warmth) if the dog is not actually chewing pans. Some put a thin board, even pegboard, under the plastic pan for more support if the dog's weight on the wires is causing the pan to crack. The MW pans crack even under a Cavalier, so I am convinced that they are substandard material. The plastic pans from Precision seem to last the longest among the plastic ones. They are a little longer in the 36 inch than the General Cage crates, but I have been able to use them as replacements in the GC crates, too.
I looked up this, as I have to replace a pan in an Ultima that has barely been used. I have yet to order from this place, but may consider it.
http://www.mightypets.com/General-Cage/General-Cage-Crate-Pans.html
I have considered putting in a board, with a narrow board (1x1?) as spacer screwed and glued on top of the board to keep the GC crate pan from sliding in the extra width. Or I may just replace with a MW pan, with a thin board under it for support.
I find that with the galvanized pans, if I count on the bedding to protect the dog from the graying effect of the metal, that is the show where the light-colored dog spills water or gets hot and pushes the bedding into a pillow in the corner and stains its underside anyhow.

Many years ago I had a rescue dog break out of my Midwest crate. Not only did he bend the door but the pan, as well. I called Midwest and they replaced both at no charge. They also informed me this is a one shot deal.

If you can find a metalworks shop in your town, usually they will make them for you for around $20 bucks each. We have done this, then had our pans sprayed with rhino liner and it's fabulous... easy to wash out and never worry about aluminum or rust stains on the dogs again.

I had the same problem. I emailed the president of Midwest. He shipped me a new one FedEx and sent along a mat too! He was very concerned there was a problem. His email is on their website.
Be careful with the metal pans. If you have a yellow dog- or to be more descriptive- a wet muddy yellow dog the moisture reacts with the pan and then you will have a very grey dog!