Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy bath

Do you bathe your puppies before they go to their forever homes?

Re: Puppy bath

No, I don't. Between mom and me we keep them clean on an on-going basis (damp washcloth when needed).

Yes, I do. They go in my turkey roaster pan :) With baby shampoo and water. I take a wash cloth and clean them up nicely and dry them. The water is a littler warmer than lukewarm. This is often their first water experience. I've never had a pup who didn't like water - maybe because they'll all had this first good experience.

By that time they've had many many baths!!

I try to keep them clean as we go.. but they always gets baths about 2 hours before they go home. I couldn't imagine NOT bathing them, stinky puppies!

BDR
I try to keep them clean as we go.. but they always gets baths about 2 hours before they go home. I couldn't imagine NOT bathing them, stinky puppies!

2 to 4 hours before going home and out of the area the rest of the puppies are. Make sure the pup is dry down to puppy undercoat especially if it's cold outdoors. Always explain not to bathe too often to puppy buyers. Otherwise they'll want their puppy or dog smelling as good as when she leaves the breeders home.

Of course...right before they go home...I have an attitude..If they smell like a Baby then they will probably get to SLEEP IN BED WITH THEIR NEW PARENTS!!!

BDR

Why are your pups stinky? By the time they go home, they should be pottying away from their living area. What makes they stinky? I have never bathed a pup. And they are not stinky!

Yes I do bathe mine few hours before they go to their forever homes. Even though my puppies have started to do their business away from their sleeping area they still smell a little stinky. Specially if it's a large litter.

My pups don't stink either - if anything they smell a bit of wood shavings. My puppy people always comment how nice and clean they feel and smell too!

anonbreeder
My pups don't stink either - if anything they smell a bit of wood shavings. My puppy people always comment how nice and clean they feel and smell too!

I agree, my pups are not stinky at all. By 8 week they have been using a litter box for 3 weeks. If needed I will wipe them down with a baby wipe or damp washcloth but I have never bathed a puppy.

I do. I use Cetaphil and shampoo mostly on the underside and genital area.

I have puppy shampoo that smells like baby powder that is oatmeal based. I give them a bath, put on a fresh collar and kiss them on the nose before they go home.

My puppies don't stink either, but I like this last little bit of time with them before they leave, just one on one.

I think because its at my house in my arms, its one more 'first' that they won't be afraid of either.

Those of you that bathe your pups

How do your pups live? Do they have newspapers, shavings, bedding, what?

It's not like they are all that stinky, but they do have an odor just from being with their litter mates, rolling in poo, or food, etc... I have always bathed puppies that enter my home to get the puppy grime off of them as well. It's just something I do for myself and my puppy buyers. My puppies start using a potty box at 3-4 weeks, and I use pine pellets.

I've never bathed our pup before they go to their new homes. I make sure they don't have fleas and will spritz the pups good with my Listerine/Water Bottle an dry them off shortly before each family shows up to bring their puppy home.

Living here in the Northwest, the dogs are always gettig muddy and the pups who are 6 to 8 weeks old are playing hard outside, digging etc . My Listerine bottle sure comes in handy