Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overbite

One of my puppies has an overbite which I found out about today during her vet exam. The vet didn't believe it would cause issues and this puppy is going to a pet home, so this should not affect her potential to be a great pet and eat her share of dog food!

Naturally I plan to disclose this to the family.

What do you all normally do in situations like this. Would you drop the price at all, if so how much? I am always just too nice about things like this.

Re: Overbite

Most overbites fix themselves and even if a little overbite remains, it doesn't cause problems. I just mention it as a matter of fact when going through health history of when they've been seen by vet, what vet found - overbite, when shots given, etc. Just a matter of course.

If it doesn't fix itself and say they need eye teeth pulled or something else down the road - you can always give some reimbursement then.

I use to be too nice too - once gave full refund for inverted vulva which my vet and myself missed. If the fault isn't problematic, you have to be fair to yourself and your dogs and keep hard earned money to put back into the dogs. No one can expect a nice dog for free.

The puppy can still chew up the furniture with the best of them! A breeder friend sold a pup with an off bite and their vet PULLED ALL PUPPY TEETH AT 12 WEEKS and charged $400 to do so!!! oF COURSE THAT HELPS NOTHING AND THE POOR PUP HAD NO TEETH..make sure to tell them not to let any vet do anything with the teeth without contacting you first.

Thanks. I'll disclose during the pick up and if they need future assistance I can always refer them to my vet and I'll make sure they don't do anything without my approval on this. It seems fair that if anything needs to be done later on I can pay for that as long as they don't have a money grubbing vet.

I've had two pretty bad overbites (one in two different litters). The first was in my very first litter - I noticed at about 5 weeks old. The second was a litter a couple of years ago and I noticed it at about 1 week old. Both times I told the pet family well ahead of time and both times they could have cared less. One sees my own vet. One is in a very active hunting home.

Despite what some vets and/or breeders will say there is absolutely NO REASON TO PULL ANY TEETH (baby or adult teeth).

I have had a couple pups with overbites, which needed no intervention, I wrote in the contract that IF they needed surgical intervention, I would refund a set amount of money towards the vet care. I sold them at same price as rest of litter. buyers had reassurance I would help if it was needed.

I've had 2 different overbites.

1st : noticed at 5 weeks. it was a large overbite. held on to puppy myself until 12 weeks and brought him to have the canines cut and filled (not pulled). at 5 months, those fell out, and adults came in. At a year old, he was neutered at my vet and nothing needed to be done with his canines. (they were hitting the roof of the mouth which is why we intervened). That offer on the table was done at MY vet, and if needed anything at time of neuter, it was my cost.

2nd : crooked overbite. It appeared at 7 weeks that it was trying to correct itself. Vet suggested i leave it. same offer : if anything needed when older, i'd pay for it. however, not at my vet because they were too far. when puppy canines fell out, new came in, and nothing needed to be done. Her vet at 8 weeks old freaked on the overbite and wanted to pull them, so owner assured her vet that we were well aware of it, and we weren't doing anything at that time. vet now understands why we left things alone.
Both dogs are very very handsome, and only if they are on their backs for belly rubs, do you notice it. one is 3 years old, one is 17 months old now and healthy and good looking.