Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advantages of registering puppies

The main intent of the "Breeder of Merit" program seems to me to get more puppies registered. My intent here is NOT to stir up that argument again, or argue whether we should support it.

I would venture to say that most puppy buyers, even though we send them home with filled out paperwork, do not send it in and register their puppies. So, the AKC keeps trying to get us to "sell" the benefits of registering puppies to pet owners.

SO, what are the benefits to a pet owner in registering their dog?

I know the benefits to me; I get to participate in AKC events, etc; but what persuasive argument do I give a puppy buyer who only wants a healthy pet from a reputable breeder, and doesn't intend to show, breed, or participate in any events?

Mike

Re: Advantages of registering puppies

There are many reasons to register puppies. One can go to AKC's website and read about the many advantages.

I, for one, want all my puppies registered. There can be a time you get back a grown on puppy or dog for whatever reason. I have found down the road that they do end up getting involved in a venue.

I follow through to make sure my families register their puppies.

I ask my puppy buyers to register their puppies with AKC because of all the programs AKC supports, Search and Rescue, Canine Health Foundation that supports ongoing research, Public education about dog ownership, government regulations and legislation, etc... Plus if they have gone through the trouble of finding a reputable breeder (Hopefully!), they usually are thrilled to get a pretty pedigree from AKC, the inexpensive option of registering the microchip with CAR with the registration papers, and a discount on the health insurance package. I tell them that I support AKC, and that I expect my puppies to be registered, and to please bring a separate check made out to AKC. I mail all the completed reigistrations as a batch, after I make copies for my files. I encourage them to do the the Reg, pedigree and microchip registration option which comes to about $49.00. I also encourage my buyers to participate in AKC obedience events and CGC. The kids like coming up with fun names, and I help people with names if they don't have any ideas, I usually have a theme that helps lead to ideas.

For what people pay for puppies in my area, most of them expect they will be getting a AKC registered puppy. It is very simple to make sure they are registered, have the people give you a check for $20 made out to AKC and have them sign the paperwork when they pick up their puppy and then you send it in, viola, all puppies will be registered. No one I have sold puppies to has ever had a problem with this or even questioned it, they are told this when they give me a deposit to hold the puppy. And if they did, just like if they have a problem with any other of my procedures, then they would not be getting the puppy since then they are not someone I would want to deal with. Also by doing it this way you can be assured no one tries to change the paperwork from limited reg to full. Without that piece of paper documenting the dog is a purebred, they might as well have gotten an expensive mutt. I disagree, I do think it is important to puppy people and they are proud to own a dog with "papers". As for a breeder, it is a way of keeping track of your all puppies and litters. I went to all the work of planning the breeding, whelping and taking care of the puppies, I want this documented in the books for every puppy I breed. It is not simply about getting titles. IMHO anyway. I am proud of ALL my puppies, pets included.

Thanks for the replys. Most of the reasons given are for why we as breeders want them to register their puppies.

I guess what I'm asking is, what benefits the buyers get? What compelling reason can I give them for wanting to register their new puppy. Other than requiring them to register their puppy, what compelling argument can we as breeders give a buyer who doesn't care about the pedigree they get when they register their puppy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for them all registering their puppies. I fill out the registration papers for them and send them home with it. I don't require them to register and I don't register the whole litter myself.

I'm wondering what case we breeders can make to convince them that it has some value to them to register their puppy.

Mike

I'm glad the question is being asked because I've stumbled over the answer myself and quit bugging people if they haven't sent it in. The one thing I do to help encourage registration (like others I know) is that I require the dog to be registered in order for any health warranty to be valid, however, more and more are dropping warranty/guarantees.

When presented to our club, our delegate said the AKC wanted to be able to reach out to all the puppy buyers and direct them to kennel clubs etc, in their area for classes, membership, etc.. Still, this is not that much of an incentive to most puppy owners. If they take classes, they've often know when a club is offering what and will take the classes most convenient to them.

I've wrestled with this same question, Mike. I don't require it of puppy buyers. I think a previous poster had good points in that the registration fee, which isn't prohibitive, does help support all that AKC does for breeders, canine health research, and the sport. And if a buyer values the fact that a breeder has AKC registered breeding stock, they'll help continue this quality by registering their puppies. Probably the one benefit in my opinion is the vet insurance. I think this can be invaluable to pet owners who have no idea what the cost of veterinary care can add up to.

And I also agree with you - the Breeder of Merit program is designed to increase the income for AKC, nothing more.

It would be akin to paying top dollar for some sort of rare collectible, from someplace such as the Franklin Mint, then not sending in the papers to register it, which would make no sense because then it would lose value. That was how I had described it to puppy people prior to when I started just sending in the paperwork myself. For the pet people it is really more a matter of pride to have the registration I guess, but since I do make it a requirement, because it is important to ME, they have no choice in the matter anyway. It really is more a matter of how important it is to you, not for you to have to try to convince them to do it. If it is not really that important to you to have all the puppies registered then leave it up to them, and undoubtedly there will be some who will just throw the paperwork (along with the puppy packet you worked so hard to put together for them) in a pile and never look at it again. There is no right or wrong way. It is your litter to decide.

in finland the breeder registrates the whole litter + all puppies are microchipped as the vet checks them, all documents returned to FKC. as the puppy leaves for their future home all have their registration papers ready, their microchip which is documented at FKC + their EU vaccination passport registering all vaccinations, wormings etc...

the finnish kennel club also has database with all info of any FKC dog in finland, updated when needed, having all health info, show etc results, pedigrees, litters you name it...its all there.
http://www.kennelliitto.fi
best
ritva

And then there was the time, Gretchen, JoAnn and I were driving down the Garden State Parkway to Mid-Jersey's eye clinic. I asked, "Did you bring the registration papers?" JoAnn responded, "Yes. It's that blue thing, right?" Nuff said.

The Seeing Eye is not interested in registering puppies they do not use for breeding, so I registered Tulgeywoods Victor's Vision myself. I am proud of all my puppies and I want them to be registered with the AKC. I have buyers fill out the paper & make them purchase at least the registration and the lost & found option, and give me a check payable to the AKC.

Advantages of registering puppies

I was looking at the AKC site on registration, I couldn't find if there is an expiration date on registering your pup. I thought I had seen that, am I wrong or did I mis-read?

There is a date on the registration application: a year after date the litter was registered, or you have to pay extra.