Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is a READING DOG?

Wonderful story about our Lab helping children. We are so proud of him! Check it out.

http://www.pawnation.com/2011/02/11/wes-the-westminster-show-dog-helps-children-learn-to-read-and-wr/

Re: What is a READING DOG?

As the owner of 3 (now deceased) registered therapy dogs, my yellow girl, Ch. Heroncourt Designing Woman, JH ("Jovine"), was a reader dog. It used to amaze me that a dog who could swim and play for hours on end would lay there for soooo long and look so content and interested. We worked with kids who had low reading skills and/or just didn't like reading. I'll tell you the dogs really boost the spirit of these kids and improve their attitude towards learning.

WTG, Wes & Wendi! What good work and such a wonderful example of the many attributes of this fabulous breed!

We have a Lab in a pet home that is a reading dog.

Labs are just great all around

My chocolate boy and I are a READ dog team. Charlie "listens" to K-2 readers who need a little extra help. Reading aloud can be so intimidating, but Charlie has such a gentle way that the readers are ready to read. This type of 'therapy' does work.

We also visit residents at an assisted living facility. Everyone knows and loves Charlie. They immediately smile when Charlie enters the room. They relax their shoulders and welcome him with open arms.

Dogs, Labs, are the best 'medicine.'

R eading E ducation A ssistance D og

Or C anine A ssisted R eading E ducation.

A wonderful way for TDI certified dogs to help in the school systems.

Some children are reluctant to sound out words (especially ESL kids) to adults but feel more comfortable "reading" to a dog, dogs don't judge!!

Also a great way for kids to see well behaved, well cared for dogs in an environment other than a crate or tied to the tree in the back yard. Teach pet responsibility and help with reading all at the same time!!

Labs make wonderful CARE dogs!!!