Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weird Proplan thing

Last night I opened a new bag of Proplan Performance formula and was surprised to see that the kibble was teeny tiny, really small. The shape,color and smell was the same though so I thought I guess they changed the kibble size and fed it with no problems. But then I thought I better check so called Purina. The rep had no explanation and said he would send me a coupon for a free bag. I asked him if it was possible the toy breed formula was put into a performance bag by mistake but he said it was a different shape. I then opened another bag of performance I had that had a newer expiration date and was in the new bag (FYI- they changed the bag again)and the kibble in that bag also looked a little smaller than it had been previously, but still not nearly as small as the first bag I had opened. I compared the kibble from the two bags and they were identical in every way except the kibble from the one bag was so tiny. I went on the Proplan website and none of the other kibble has the same shape as the performance, which is sort of heart shaped. I hate to throw it out if all that is wrong is the size. Has anyone ever come across this before? Maybe they just had the machine set to the wrong size?

Re: Weird Proplan thing

Could it be the new Lamb and Rice Small Bites, which I think is supposed to be the heart shape? I had been looking at it for Cavaliers as a mixer for the more holistic foods I usually feed.
http://www.proplan.com:80/dry-dog-food/all-life-stages-lamb-rice-small-bites/default.aspx

dont worry, my last bag was the same (smaller kibble than normal) and my dogs are still alive LOL

I called the store I bought it from and they said they will exchange it for another bag so I am going to do that, if it is a mix up and the new lamb formula is in there I would rather not use it since my dogs have always eaten chicken based food. But if the next bag I get has the same teeny tiny kibble, then they are going to eat it though!

I received this email, last week.

Dear purinaproclub.com user:

Here is a sneak preview of two exciting Purina Pro Plan dog food products coming in early February.

Pro Plan Lamb & Rice Small Bite Formula is an all life-stages dry dog food with a small kibble. Made with real lamb as the No. 1 ingredient, Pro Plan Lamb & Rice Small Bite Formula contains 26 percent protein and 16 percent fat. A nutritionally complete and balanced all life stages dog food, Pro Plan Lamb & Rice Small Bite Formula is appropriate for puppies, pregnant or nursing dams, adults and senior dogs. Look for Pro Plan Lamb & Rice Small Bite Formula in pet specialty stores in three bag sizes: 6 pounds, 18 pounds and 37.5 pounds.

Pro Plan Roasted Slices is a dog snack formerly marketed as Purina Carvers. Made with over 80 percent real chicken, Pro Plan Roasted Slices already are a dog fancy favorite. High in protein and highly palatable, this dog snack can be fed whole or torn into bite-sized portions when training or showing dogs. Lightly seasoned and oven-cooked, Pro Plan Roasted Slices are made without corn, wheat, artificial colors or flavors.

Pro Plan is sold at pet specialty and farm supply stores. For information, visit www.proplan.com or to talk with a pet nutrition consultant, call 800-PRO-PLAN (800-776-7526) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday.

You also may contact Purina Pro Club with any Pro Club questions by sending an e-mail to PurinaProClub@Purina.com or calling Pro Club Member Services toll free at 877-776-2582 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday.

Thank you for your support,

Purina Pro Club

The bag I bought is definitely a performance bag, someone screwed up! Either they put the new lamb in a performance bag or forgot to reset the kibble size when they were making a batch of performance, who knows! It smells exactly like the other performance I have, usually lamb based food smells a little different.