Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Showing for Dummies"

I have someone who is getting a show potential pup from me and has asked me to please supply them with as much information as possible for them to learn about the world of dog shows. They are interested in books, web sites and whatever else might help. I have a few ideas but thought I'd call on the collective knowledge of you all.

Please help me help a newbie.

Re: "Showing for Dummies"

I would recommend going to puppy obedience classes once all the vaccinations are done. Go to handling classes and go to B matches so the puppy is used to being out and about with different types of dogs, situations, people, etc. Have other people work with it so it doesn't get dependent on them solely at the end of the leash. Positive, positive reinforcement and have fun!! Also just going to dog shows after the puppy's vaccines are done and observing with it so it gets a taste of the action and is not scared the first time out :)

Raising a Champion: A Beginner's Guide to Showing Dogs
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Champion-Beginners-Guide-Showing/dp/0971072205

TRICKS OF THE TRADE:FROM BEST INTENTIONS TO BEST IN SHOW
http://www.dogfolk.com/trickstrade_revised.htm

The best thing you can do for someone like that is be their mentor. Be there with them, introduce them, make positive suggestions. Just selling a dog with "show potential" means nothing without the help. I have seen some $4500 puppies sold as show potential to newies, no mentoring, no guidance, just $$$$ for the breeder...sad, sad, sad. So do the right thing for your puppy owner.

Take her to shows (or hook her up with someone if she doesn't live near you) and hang around and watch the other breeds. Show her what looks good, what looks bad and just generally show her the ropes. Then tell her to practice, practice, practice!

Johanne

I'm about one year removed from being a total show newbie. Here are my suggestions:

1. A very good reference book for the true beginner is "Show Me" by Caroline Coile. Covers everything from how to move around the ring, what to wear, what to bring, etc. Also covers how the point system works/what class to enter.

2. Take at least one handling class. Great practice for both you and your dog. I also took the George Alston seminar. I wouldn't recommend it for a lab handler...he is more focused on handling tips for irish setters and toys. Just my opinion.

3. Join your local dog club...a great way to find much needed mentors.

4. Enter the puppy in sweeps. Great practice for both the newbie handler and the puppy.

5. Spend a few minutes every day practicing with your puppy...stacking and standing still.

6. Get familiar with the websites for the superintendents in your area. Go to the AKC website to find shows. AKC also covers the point system in great detail.

Thank you for taking the time to write those suggestions Mia!

It doesn't seem all that long ago that I went to my first dog show after a couple of matches.

Words of advice -
Do know that if you place 2nd in your class, stay ringside for Winner's Dog/Bitch. I was absolutely clueless on this one my first show - I came from the horse show world. I thought I was being polite moving away from the gate and out of earshot of the ring steward.

If you are feeling nervous, pop a mint in your mouth right before going into the ring so that your dog does not detect your nervousness on your breath plus the plastic little wrapper works well to get your dog's ears up if you crinkle it when needed.

Remember it is just a dog show and one judge's opinion of your dog. Do not let one judge's opinion make or break your day. Relax and enjoy it.

Do not overwork your dog prior to showing - you want to make it fun and not work. You need your dog to be able to gait, stand still, and be examined - but you also want them to enjoy being in the ring. A delicate balance.

If you do start obedience work with your dog, make sure your dog thoroughly understands the stand command before learning the sit command.

Be aware that the majority of us who are showing do so for the social aspect - yes winning is great but spending time with fellow breeders (aka friends) is what makes it all worthwhile.

Enjoy and welcome to the world of showing.