Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motorhomes vs 5th Wheel Trailers?

Hi all:

For those of you who travel via a motorhome or have a 5th wheel - which do you prefer?

I am currently looking at both, but I am leaning more to a motorhome. Because I dont think I would be comfortable having the dogs in the 5th wheel. And I am pretty sure its illegal in Canada. But I am not really sure. The problem I am having though is finding a motorhome that has a nice, unique roomy layout like the 5th wheel trailer that I have in mind.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I am all ears :)

Thanks!

Re: Motorhomes vs 5th Wheel Trailers?

I have a 5th wheel and the benefits I have over a motorhome is when I get to a show and get set up, I can unhitch my truck and go shopping and leave the setup. Most states in the USA allow passengers to ride in the 5th wheel while driving so Im sure there is no restriction on dogs. Also when at home I can still use my truck to pull the boat to the lake and dont have an expensive motorhome sitting in my driveway that I cant use except for motorhome trips. If I ever want to trade my truck in and get a new one, I can and dont have to replace the living quarters. Wouldnt it be fun to pull into a dog show in a luxuryliner?
http://www.sundownerluxuryliner.com/

In most states it is not legal to ride in a fifth wheel. Case in point you will notice that there are not any seat belts in a fifth wheel. The suspension is much different in a motor home vs a fifth wheel. It would be a very, very rough ride back in the back of the trailer. I also would be concerned about climate control in the trailer while driving. Many others have investigated the two and you can see the majority have chosen the motor home just by the sheer numbers at the dog show. Hope this is of some help.

Motor home all the way unless you have another way to transport your dogs. I would never transport them in a fifth wheel and I am sure no one is allowed to ride in one. That would be very uncomfortable and unsafe.

We have a 5th wheel that we take to shows. The pros are that we can set up, unhook the truck and have a means to get around. The downside is that there is no way to transport the dogs. We have to also take the van to haul the dogs. Twice the gas and wear and tear on 2 vehicles.
The ideal vehicle would be a motorhome toyhauler with a smartcar inside. :)

Jan
I have a 37' 5th wheel. I LOVE it. It has a "toy hauler" in it and I use that as my dog room. We can easily and comfortably load 6-8 dogs in 400 crates, along with all their gear in the dog room. We could take more dogs as well, but we would have to juggle some things to get 2 more crates in the room.
The dog room has air conditioning, 2 intake/outlet air "slots", storage and a wonderful ramp that comes out the side of the trailer, not the back.
The rest of the 5th wheel, is pretty luxurious with a queen sized bunk for our daughter, queen size master suite, formal living/dining area with a large kitchen with an island. It easily sleeps 8 adults.
We've driven this rig all over Canada, Alberta, California, Oregon etc....I LOVE IT and wouldn't change it for anything.
It's a Denali XRT Crossover.

The dogroom stays very cool during travel. That's what the intake vents are for...cross current air during travel. I've found once I get where I'm going, the dogs are very comfortable temperature wise. We safely bungy them in, so the crates don't move a hair and they truly go in style.
There are windows in the dogroom, so once we get to our stop, we can open the windows but close the shades to keep the sun out but the air circulating...as well as the air conditioning. I just don't tnink it gets much better.

Thanks everyone - very useful and I agree with all of your pros and cons.

Diane, I am trying to find a motorhome just like your 5th wheeler! Its your fault that I have this itch... all your fault

My problem is: My Dad is not comfortable pulling a trailer since our trailer accident quite a few years back where a transport nicked the back bummer of the Airstream and we rolled about 10 times before coming to a stop. Thank goodness the dogs were in the Suburban with us.

2nd problem: I want room like a 5th wheeler

RV Salesman, maybe you can hook me up? hahah.

I have seen Diane's rig and I really like it! I have something similar but mine is an A class 37' Damon Outlaw. Big garage in the back with AC! When we go to California I can pass Diane because she has to stay at 55 mph with the 5th wheel! I love mine and you can probably pick up one used for a reasonable price but get it with the workhorse chassis.

The downside for me is that she gets to go out to dinner in her pickup while I am heating up my microwave!

Toni

I am with Diane all the way on this one. We have had several motor homes over the years... We had a really nice Itasca and coverted the master bedroom into the dog room. We now have a Recon 37 ft toy hauler and it is absolutely perfect for our needs. We traveled with 13 puppies and 10 adults last summer to a puppy eval in the hauler with no problem... We have a Reese hitch which is very safe. It is air conditioned in the rear, and we have TV monitors to watch and hear the dogs, the temperature, the carbon monoxide detector.. We also use walkie Talkies to talk to the dogs so they know we are there as well.
There are a couple of states that do allow human passengers in the rear of the 5th. I have ridden in the back and it truly is not that much different than the rear of tme motor home. All my Labs seem to travel fine in the 5th.. I like it because I can travel with all of them, have them come into the other areas in shifts, yet have a dog room when I have comapany etc.... I was a tad nervous the first few trips as I am accustomed to having the Labs in the motor home with me. But now I love it. And if only I could keep my dh doing 55 mph I would love it.. We have no problem executing hills, etc with the F350 dually we haul it with.
A couple of other things I love about it is on a day you don't need the A/C you just drop the ramp down to open up the rear for some nice fresh air for the dogs... There is a screen to keep bugs out. And lots more ventilation than a motor home.
And when it's muddy, the living area stays nice and clean. We wash the dogs with the outside shower and go into the cargo area where the floor is matted and very easily cleaned...
Best of luck with your choice...

Leagal or not leagal to ride in a fifth wheel is a mute point when you see what is left of one that is in an accident.They are not crash worthy and they will come completly apart in an accident.Sorry fifth wheelers I have to recomend the motor home.

RV Salesman... Do you have any motorhomes you have in mind? Thanks.

Toni's rig is top notch for sure. Very sweet rig. Lotsa room for his dogs in a large, nicely air-conditioned room.
I do prefer mine for a couple reasons.
1. The side ramp. I never have a problem parking it and not having room to open my ramp to the dogroom. I have a screen the zips to enclose the entire dogroom, so I can leave the ramp door open and just zip the screen and there's no bugs or pests. When it rains like heck, I can keep the screen zipped, then drop down a plastic cover over the screen that keeps the rain out, but continues to allow awesome ventilation in the room when it's warm enough.
2. I can unhitch my truck and come/go as I please. Makes it especially nice when I've got to haul all 8 dogs over to the ring in the mornings.
CAREFUL and attentive driving is the key and name of the game. Breeders/trainers of million dollar show horses ship their stock in 5th wheel rigs.
Since you're pulling greater than twin axles, you have to drive according to the trucker rules, so you have to go 55-60mph...in the right lane at all times. Once you get used to it, it's fine! I actually get along with the truckers and find comfort in caravaning with them, especially along the mountain passes.

You've seen my rig Jan! Even slept in the queen loft bunk for my daughter!! I just wouldn't trade it for anything.

Ive seen motorhomes in accidents and on fire and you cant tell me a motorhome is safer than a fifth wheel. Ive seen a truck/fifth wheel half way go over a cliff and the 5th wheel hitch is so strong it wont let the truck go. This is why its legal for people to be in the 5th wheel while traveling. Its different than just pulling a trailer.

I have had both and I will take the Motor Home. Your house can catch on fire so I don't see that as a valid
debate. I like the fact that my dogs are with me and have a comfortable ride. In my state humans can not ride in a fifth wheel. If the trailer is so safe then why do you need all the safety stuff? That would scare me, I used to pull horses all over the place and things can happen! Good luck with your search!

There is a reason why we call Diane's trailer THE TAJ!!!. Oh and Tony, you are welcome to ride along with us anytime.... heck, we may even let you sit in the cab with us!!!! :-) All jokes aside, I love the idea of a 5th Wheel and Diane's is really nice! If you are going to get one, get one with the ramp that drops on the side like hers, AWESOME!!!!