Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How short is short?

Hey you all... I have a youngster that is very beautiful but she is a bit short. I am wondering what you all think is too short for a bitch? And what age do they normally grow into their heights? This youngsters parents are both in normal heights, her dam is in good height, even a little on the higher side but not too tall. Her sire is in a good height for a male, not tall but not short either. Can she be a late "bloomer" and take her height at the time she comes into her first heat?
Would love to hear your experiences
TIA

Re: How short is short?

How old is she and has she had her first heat yet?

Age?
Hey you all... I have a youngster that is ... a bit short. what ...is too short for a bitch? And what age do they normally grow into their heights? This youngsters parents are both in normal heights, her dam is in good height, even a little on the higher side but not too tall. Her sire is in a good height for a male, not tall but not short either. Can she be a late "bloomer" and take her height at the time she comes into her first heat?
Would love to hear your experiences
TIA

????

AnnaH
How old is she and has she had her first heat yet?

She is 10 months and no she has not had her first heat yet.

This was a useful response. At least it made me laugh

Anon
This was a useful response. At least it made me laugh

Agree, some people must response even though they have nothing to say! LOL

You could say that they are only too short if their legs don't reach the ground.

I would also say one heat or even two before you see what you will end up with. My girls look small for a good while also. In the ring they look like all the rest. The first heat can give the whole body some changes. Hope that helps.

Breeder Also
I would also say one heat or even two before you see what you will end up with. My girls look small for a good while also. In the ring they look like all the rest. The first heat can give the whole body some changes. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I did measure her earlier and we guess that she is almost 21 ...so I am hopeful that she will grow little more :) She hasn't come in yet for the first time and I don't expect her to do so soon...

Some do not reach their full height until they are 18 or even 24 months. I have had some get taller after their first season, too. At 10 months and almost 21 inches, she will probably be OK.

Agree with above- that's why I asked about how old she was and if she had her first heat. She can definitely grow in addition to obviously filling out.

Thanks you guys for your responses :)