Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dogs

Just wondering what a good choice for a yellow stud would be??

Re: Stud Dogs

What are you looking for to compliment/help accentuate in your girl? Are you looking for a show stud, obedience, agility, hunt??? what lines do you like? what lines do you have? what are your OFA requirements? what tests have you done? what tests do you want the stud dog to have had done??

Definately show stud. As far as testing, I want one that has had hips/elbows, pra, heart, eic and cnm. I already have that done on my bitch. Love the Tabatha, Kelleygreen and Dickendall lines. Thanks in advance for any help.

posting an email and receiving replies privately will be your best bet.

Going to shows and seeing dogs and their offspring would also be a good start. What appeals to one person may not be what you are looking for in your girl.

And saying you like "Tabatha, Kelleygreen and Dickendall" is already saying you dont know what you want. These 3 lines are completely different from eachother.

You need to ask yourself what you like from these lines and what you are trying to produce. Also, you have to ask whether these lines will compliment your bitch, or will not.

There are many many tools available for you, and the best bet is:

- go to shows, look at all the stud dogs and what they are producing

- contact the lines that you are interested in, and ask them what they think about combining with your lines. And if they will help your line or not.

- the internet - use the search.

- Research Research Research

Goodluck.

Goodness. At least you didn't call them "blocky headed". But since you have no idea what you're looking for...I'm imagining that you have no idea what you're doing and you're just going to be producing some puppies for the sake of it.

I'm not a fan. If you're not showing, competing and working with a mentor and a club, I don't care how much health screening you've done on your dog...you shouldn't breed.

I smell a BYBer
Goodness. At least you didn't call them "blocky headed". But since you have no idea what you're looking for...I'm imagining that you have no idea what you're doing and you're just going to be producing some puppies for the sake of it.

I'm not a fan. If you're not showing, competing and working with a mentor and a club, I don't care how much health screening you've done on your dog...you shouldn't breed.

I agree with you to a point. But, if you have ever read any of the interviews of top breeders in the LQ over the years, you would see where most of our great breeders of today got their start. In your opinion, they would have been called BYB's, and should never have bred a litter. Where would we be today?

I think most of those top breeders that you refer to were typical pet buyers when they BOUGHT their first Lab. I think most of their stories tell how they were lucky enough, (smart enough), to find a good mentor to help them start showing and breeding.

Mike

If you want to do this right, go to dog shows. Many dog shows. Specialties are treasure islands to find really what you like.
It sounds like you are very new to this and you don't know what you are doing. Who bred your bitch? is she from show lines? talk to your breeder.

If you want to do this right, go to dog shows, many dog shows. Specialties are treasure islands to find really what you like.
It sounds like you are very new to this and you don't know what you are doing. Who bred your bitch? is she from show lines? talk to your breeder.

Ah, Chris. I've been breeding for over 20 years. If finding a stud dog was as easy as posting an inquiry on line, it would be amazing. But chances are if you, or anyone else for that matter, suggested a yellow boy to me, I'd probably say, "Bleck!" Taste in dogs is very much a personal matter. If you are not able to envision the perfect stud for your girl, you have a long long way to go. It ain't easy. But you need to keep studying. Get out there and keep your eyes open.

Chris
It sounds like you have a particular "look" that you like. I think what's most important, is that you breed to the stud dog that YOU like, that fits your bill as far as accenting or acentuating what you desire in your bitch.
You can ask others what dog they would use, but those are just opinions.
If you're not real familiar with the stud dogs out there, I recommend going to lots of specialties and getting your hands on those dogs that appeal most to you. Once you see what you like, then go home and study those pedigrees.

Talk with the breeder who bred your bitch. It's likely that nobody will have better knowledge as to what pedigrees/type of dog will best suite your girl.

I still consider myself a "newbie" in this wonderful sport (after 10 years), and what I've found, is that 99% of the fun and enjoyment of breeding is studying. It is so rewarding to combine genes and see what happens. Sometimes, a combination that looks like it will be amazing on paper, doesn't turn out so great in life!! BUT! Other times, you find yourself with a real lovely baby and then the fun begins!

Good luck to you!
Diane

I do remember when I started that I would look at certain kennels and see similarities where there were probably few to the experienced breeder. Type was an enigma. Thought I understood it, but the more I looked, the less I truly did. So here's my 0.02:

Definitely find a mentor to study the breed with. This does not have to be the breeder from whom you got your bitch (thought that is sometimes helpful) and just sit down and "talk dogs". Talk about structure, look at pictures, keep a file of outlines and heads you like, and study them over and over again to figure out what it is you like. Build a file of your ideal Labradors, bitches and dogs.

Read the Standard, again and again and again. Look at your pictures against the standard. The point of rereading the standard is that your eye will change with respect to what constitutes the ideal Labrador, and this will help you refine your eye for the Labrador you want.

Go to shows. Go to specialties and all breed shows just to watch and study the dogs at the show. Study not only the dogs you like, in terms of how they conform to the standard of structure and type and to your preferred style, but the dogs that don't fit your ideal as well, and ask yourself why they don't. Look at the winners but not just the winners, and remember that what you see from outside the ring can be very different from going over the dogs.

When you find dogs you like, make the effort to go over them with your own hands. Over time, as you study structure and type (because whether we like it or not, they are entwined) you will learn to trust your hands, and this is extremely important. Look at the dogs and bitches, look at the get from these dogs and bitches, but I would caution that it takes a while to look at a dog and understand what you're actually seeing in the get. And, it's even harder to look and see what is being passed on by the sire vs the dam, and what influences are working behind these 2 dogs. This will help you decipher the whole idea of pedigrees.

Lastly, question what you see, feel, and hear. Don't just accept that the WD at a show is always the best dog out there. Remember that, as we judge ringside, that we do not know what the judge is actually thinking. Don't just take the word of every person you meet, just because they seem to have paid his/her dues. Some people may be in the breed for a while, and freely voice an opinion, but remember, the proof is in the pudding. Has this person's breeding program been successful and shown progression?

This may seem daunting, but if you really immerse yourself in the process it almost becomes second nature. I also encourage those of you who have been doing this for a while to add to and challenge what I've posted. I love this breed and feel that it is our collective duty to help those along since, ultimately, it's the health of the breed that improves or suffers

Good luck with the process.

Thank you, Ruth. Excellent post, one that all newbies should read.

Show are great and definitely recommended, but my last studs were picked from verbal recommendations from friends and photos in LQ/online. I am not blessed to be in the center of where all the big shows are, so I can't see some of the nicer boys. My area is limited in what I want and need for my girl.

I would recommend buying the last 2 LQ stud issues. I would try to decide on a dog/pedigree/line that has the look you like. Sometimes the first shot at breeding is just a stab in the dark. You pick the best you can, make sure they have their clearances, make sure their offspring are nice and passing clearances, and then cross your fingers and roll the dice.