Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vanquard reaction ?

I am experiencing some allergic reactions in 2 litters, that were vaccinated with Vanquard Plus 5. The vet is calling the mfr, but just wondering if anyone out there has had a problem?

Re: Vanquard reaction ?

YES! What kind of a reaction? How long after vaccinating?

I just vaccinated a one year old with this vaccine and did not have any problem, it was from a new tray I just ordered. Please let us know what happened, as I have been using this vaccine for years on my litters without issues and my vet uses this vaccine too.

I also have been using it for years without issue. But this time, about 5 days after vaccination, one pup started scratching madly, and crying. He would actually dash away, as though trying to hide from his own self. I brought him to the vet, who suggested perhaps a vaccine reaction. Then 2 more pups did the same thing. I was freaking out. But after 24 hours, each pup was back to normal. That was 2 weeks ago, and no problem since. But when I saw this post, I just wanted to see what kind of symptoms the OP had with her pups.

I have 2 litters - about 10 days apart. The first litter got their shots at 7 wks and 1 day. 7 days later - itching, swelling in the face (on 3 pups)and agitated. 2 had a fever, with a little raspy in the lungs. Treated with benedryl and clavamox. They cleared up in 2 1/2 days.

Next litter - done at 7 wks and 6 days. 3 days later - 3 pups itchy, 2 with swelling in the face and 1 was very agitated. Treated with benedryl. no antibiotic this time. This AM - the one still kind of agitated and itchy. Did not sleep well. We are not sure that the benedryl made him better or worse.

We have been using Vanguard for years. We are using something different for the next set of shots.

Lab Breeder
I have 2 litters - about 10 days apart. The first litter got their shots at 7 wks and 1 day. 7 days later - itching, swelling in the face (on 3 pups)and agitated. 2 had a fever, with a little raspy in the lungs. Treated with benedryl and clavamox. They cleared up in 2 1/2 days.

Next litter - done at 7 wks and 6 days. 3 days later - 3 pups itchy, 2 with swelling in the face and 1 was very agitated. Treated with benedryl. no antibiotic this time. This AM - the one still kind of agitated and itchy. Did not sleep well. We are not sure that the benedryl made him better or worse.

We have been using Vanguard for years. We are using something different for the next set of shots.

This sounds exactly what my pups went through, but no swelling. I will copy your post, and send it to my vet. I will post here if he finds out anything from Vanguard. Thanks for posting about this. I was so upset, seeing my pups so miserable. Thank God, they all seem 100% normal now. Keep us updated!

For both of you who had reactions, did your pups get the plain Vanguard Plus 5 or was it the Vanguard Plus 5/L that includes lepto?

Could you please share the Lot Number and Expiration Date on the Vanguard shots you gave that caused this reaction. For those who work with their vets and do their own vaccinations, as well as for those of us who have our vets do shots this would be extremely helpful. No one wants to have a reaction that could potentially be life threatening on the really bad end, or simply a pain to deal with on the easy end.
I have a box just purchased through my vet (who also is waiting to hear the answer) that is Vanguard +5 Lot Number 1058633A SN A056972 EXP 20 DEC 11. I will not be using it until I know what lot numbers you all experienced problems with.
Thanks in advance for sharing this!!

Another Breeder
For both of you who had reactions, did your pups get the plain Vanguard Plus 5 or was it the Vanguard Plus 5/L that includes lepto?

No Lepto

Susan ~ Fenwyck
Could you please share the Lot Number and Expiration Date on the Vanguard shots you gave that caused this reaction. For those who work with their vets and do their own vaccinations, as well as for those of us who have our vets do shots this would be extremely helpful. No one wants to have a reaction that could potentially be life threatening on the really bad end, or simply a pain to deal with on the easy end.
I have a box just purchased through my vet (who also is waiting to hear the answer) that is Vanguard +5 Lot Number 1058633A SN A056972 EXP 20 DEC 11. I will not be using it until I know what lot numbers you all experienced problems with.
Thanks in advance for sharing this!!

I have my vet do the vaccines, so I called and asked one of the girls at the desk for the info you asked for. She did not see a "lot" number, but did see a serial #. That is A056666C, and the Exp. date is Oct.4, 2011. My vet will be finding out what he can, and I will post here.

Mine has the same serial number but expiration date of Dec. 15, 2011, does that mean it is from the same batch or different? I believe the expiration date is one year from the date is was manufactured.

No Lepto. I can reach the vet on Monday to get the lot #

Hi.. I've been using vanguard for years and years as does my vet~ I've never had a reaction of any kind w/ any of the vanguard vaccines.

You must've had a bad batch? I've a tray right now due to expire this summer that has 5 vaccines left in it. These were the last I've used to date.

Like others, I'll be interested to hear what is found/said about your reaction.

OP--What state are you in?

I am in New York. Just curious how far this "bad batch" may be.