Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tips for a Singleton

I am expecting a singleton which I have never had before.

I am looking for tips on how to raise a singleton, such as keeping it warm initially, dealing with the bitch who has more milk than you could possible want, how to socialize a singleton pup, how to provide the most stimulating environment when there is only one etc.

Pups are raised in my family room and there are 3 other bitches and a toy poodle around to help, if that is a useful idea!

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Bonnie

Re: Tips for a Singleton

Bonnie Anthony MD
I am expecting a singleton which I have never had before.

I am looking for tips on how to raise a singleton, such as keeping it warm initially, dealing with the bitch who has more milk than you could possible want, how to socialize a singleton pup, how to provide the most stimulating environment when there is only one etc.

Pups are raised in my family room and there are 3 other bitches and a toy poodle around to help, if that is a useful idea!

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Bonnie

Your bitches' body will adjust to a singleton. Her milk supply will not be as great as for a normal sized litter but for one babe. She will keep it warm naturally. After the first couple of days I would use egg crate foam under the whelping box blanket to create hills and valleys so that baby doesn't become a swimmer. I've raised a couple of singletons without any problems.

I've also had two singletons. One is extremely outgoing and social, has her CD RA and JH, and well as a championship. The other will not swim or retrieve. Both were wimps as young dogs. The difference was that Solo got a lot of attention during her puppyhood and was essentially raised like a family dog right from the start. She did not spend a lot of time in the whelping box and was out lying on the couch with the family even before her eyes were open. Watson, unfortunately came along during the busiest time of the school year and did not get that amount of attention. He was socialized about the same as a normal litter is socialized, but otherwise spent a lot of time alone. He is a great pet and companion, but doesn't have the same desire to please. The wimpiness probably comes from not having the ears bitten or being pushed around by litter mates. I don't know if you should deliberately torture the pup to make up for the mauling it would get from litter mates, but I definitely noticed a difference in those two puppies. It expressed itself in different ways, but both of them showed an aversion to stress and pain.

I have a singleton that is now just over 2 years old. She is an extrovert and spent very minimal time in the whelping box. This was the dam's first litter and she was a wonderful attentive mom and supplied her with just the right amount of milk. The pup nursed from 2-4 nipples in the middle and the rest really never filled up. The puppy also was nursing for much longer than any other litter ever would be allowed. I think I introduced puppy gruel around 5-6 weeks. She still suckled on her mother at 4 months! I don't think she got anything except comfort from it, but they would lie there in the middle of the kitchen floor while I made dinner and it was so sweet. She never became a swimmer, or even close. She had strong back legs and rear from the start and a broad front. She still has that strength. I will say that she is an, "All about me girl"! She is a tad bossy with the other dogs as she never had to fend off littermates. She's a smart dog and very willing to please, but she's full of it. One would think a shrinking violet from a singleton litter, but that's not always the way. I kept lots of stuffed animals and blankies in there to comfort her and even pushed her around a bit to give her a feeling of another puppy. Have fun with your puppy...it was surprisingly wonderful for me.

My very first litter was a singleton. It was wonderful to be able to see the intimacy and one on one nurturing between mom and baby. A huge learning experinace for me.

However, I will say the most significant thing with this puppy was as Peggy has said, a lack of pain tolerance. That puppy tussling back and forth really does make a difference.

It was first apparent when he couldn't tolerate force fetching at all. In his later years I had to watch him like a hawk when he was with very small children. He was wonderful with them unless there was pain inflicted in which case he would react in an instant.

You'll want to keep that in mind when you make placement decisions.

My two are tolerant of pain- they do not react with hostility. But neither handles pressure very well.

You all mentioned a lack of pain tolerance - so what could you realistically do about that? Have a "fake puppy" bite, pull ears, put the pup down on the ground etc?

as an example, I have this great step 2 slide for the pups - usually one brave soul climbs it and the rest follow suit. So if the pup isn't the brave soul type, how do you get him to climb it? After awhile I usually put the slide in a pup pool. I can't see how you do that with one pup and 4 big dogs who would turn their noses up at such a low level activity.

In other words, how do they learn to be curious, take risks, venture forth, learn new things etc?

Bonnie

I have not noted pain intolerance with my girl...quite the opposite! She has to be reminded to focus at times, but she is very responsive to me and always wants to know where I am and be a part of what's going on.

I found my singleton to be more work then a litter of 10. She was demanding, her way or no way. I've heard singletons make excellent show pups which she was but getting her there; even to 8 weeks was work; work and more work.

Mine also was rarely in the whelping box. She was in our Great Room with us ruling the roost.

Bonnie I doubt this will be the last thread about your singleton. You'll have loads of questions daily once she turns 3 weeks. Well even before then.

Have fun. Seriously; make loads of time to raise this puppy. Do you have many other dogs to care for and kennel duties? Is your bitch a good Mummie to her pups or is she Maiden? If you have lots to do with several other dogs like cleaning and daily training, you might need some helpers within the family or a kennel maid [grin] . You'll be dedicating loads of time to your singleton. He or she may reward you some day being your best show dog you've ever had.

I've had two singleton litters. In both cases, was able to "borrow" a couple of puppies that were a few days older (in one case right away, in another case when the puppy was about 3 weeks). It really helped to have that socialization - both were normal, not reactive at all.

I agree that there is some nervous system development that happens in the physical interaction among littermates that neither you nor the mom can replicate, so if you know someone with a litter close in age, suggest you borrow some littermates.

Ok, are you all suggesting that the pup is in the whelping box with mom until it is mobile and then it just joins the family group or the pup is out of the whelping box a lot even before it is mobile, being cuddled by people etc?

I have four adult labs, one of which has been seriously eyeing the whelping box and thinking it is for her, so I think my black bitch is going to try to be a mommy to this puppy. (My puppy has two mommies!)

This is my bitch's second litter. She was a good mommy last time.

So do I let the big dogs help raise the pup?

I will have some help with this pup, a young vet student who will be here helping out when she isn't doing intern stuff. She is worth her weight in gold!

I do think I will have lots of questions as this goes on!

Thursday is puppy day, unless she decides to go tomorrow!

Bonnie

Where do you borrow pups from and for how long do you borrow them if you can find some?

How dangerous is this for your pup to bring in, or bring him to, another litter?

Bonnie

Bonnie Anthony MD
Where do you borrow pups from and for how long do you borrow them if you can find some?

How dangerous is this for your pup to bring in, or bring him to, another litter?

Bonnie

From friends litters or if you belong to a club get the word out to the members. Also, other breeds work too.

Think and Network now. Don't wait until the singleton is on the ground.

Speak to your vet. Or a trainer. How about a handler if you have one? Network and ask questions.

Bonnie Anthony MD
Ok, are you all suggesting that the pup is in the whelping box with mom until it is mobile and then it just joins the family group or the pup is out of the whelping box a lot even before it is mobile, being cuddled by people etc?

I have four adult labs, one of which has been seriously eyeing the whelping box and thinking it is for her, so I think my black bitch is going to try to be a mommy to this puppy. (My puppy has two mommies!)

This is my bitch's second litter. She was a good mommy last time.

So do I let the big dogs help raise the pup?

I will have some help with this pup, a young vet student who will be here helping out when she isn't doing intern stuff. She is worth her weight in gold!

I do think I will have lots of questions as this goes on!

Thursday is puppy day, unless she decides to go tomorrow!

Bonnie

Are you doing a progesterone level on puppy day? I doubt she will go on her own with a singleton.

Running progesterone today, yesterday it was 4.2 so it is coming down already.

Maybe later today is possible even.

Bonnie

Bonnie, Solo was in the living room lying on the rug with the family before her eyes were open. They had two dogs, her Mom and another Lab. By the time I brought her to my house at 7 weeks old, she had already starred at a graduation party and thought the world revolved around her. I didn't do much special for her except take her where ever I could. She has earned a CD RA and JH and, yes she was very showy. I don't think she ever had play dates, but of course I had several older dogs that she interacted with. I do not recall her being any more work than any other puppy. But there was an aversion to physical pain and discomfort.

My singleton yellow boy was born yesterday at 10:30am by planned c-section. He weighed in at a nice 18ozs.

We had a bit of a scarey day because my bitches milk didn't come in right away. I was told that this is not uncommon with singletons.

We used artificial colostrum by bottle, which the pup readily took, and kept him nursing on her, by 7pm, after two shots of oxytocin, the first signs of milk appeared!

Now he is resting comfortably after just nursing, no more bottle as her milk is flowing!

Several people offered me their nursing bitches, including two people who offered to drive to me with their bitch and her puppies to help my bitch through this crisis!

We await the arrival on Sunday of two "siblings" born 4 days earlier than "George" so we will be raising a litter of 3 then. (The vet started calling him George I guess for George Washington on the single dollar bill!)

Lab people are so kind! Thank you all for your help and support.

Bonnie

Glad everything went well!! Have fun with George & his siblings and pls send updates when you have a moment.