Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lectro heating pad users

I just purchased the indoor/outdoor large heating pad for my whelping box. The instructions say that I need to purchase the thermostat to regulate the amount of heat. Can anyone tell me how warm the pad will get and do I really need the thermostat ?? I am expecting puppies within the next few days.....just wanted to use this to supplement some heat if needed. Also do you put the pad on top using the fleece pad that is comes with or is it ok to put it under the entire fleece (base) whelping pad. I have always used the regular heating pads( for people)....but they come with an automatic shut/off that is a pain to re-set all of the time. I did not know that the Lectro pad came without a thermostat.

Re: Lectro heating pad users

I have a Kane and they don't come with a rheostat but you need it for indoor use. I used my Kane without the cover and put a pee pad on top of it, the warmth of the pad makes the puppies pee. I'd call the company and ask them the exact temperature ranges. For my winter litter I had the rheostat on the lowest setting and I only used it for about a week or so. Good luck with your litter!

The one I purchased about 4 years ago I also purchased the thermostat control. This time I forgot to plug it into the thermostat and it never got too hot for the babies. The fleece pad goes on top of the heating pad. When that was in the wash I just used some pro-fleece (on sale at Joann's) and wrapped the heating pad with it.

I just purchased a Lectro heating pad too, a large, for my whelping box. Instructions say that the pad's maximum temp is 102 degrees F which is what the ideal temp for pups. You should be fine. but yes - make sure that the heating pad is well wrapped with fleece and that the pad is only half the size of your whelping box so that the pups can crawl off of it when they need to.

My whelping box is 4 feet by 6 feet...plenty of room for puppies to get to a cool spot. The instructions state that when used with young puppies or when the pad is used in a warmer environment (my house) the Temp Control is a MUST to reduce the pad temperature !! This is what I am worried about.......I wouldn't want it to get too warm. I could order the thermostat but it will take about 4 or 5 days to get it.....my pups probably won't need it by then.

Lectro
I just purchased a Lectro heating pad too, a large, for my whelping box. Instructions say that the pad's maximum temp is 102 degrees F which is what the ideal temp for pups. You should be fine. but yes - make sure that the heating pad is well wrapped with fleece and that the pad is only half the size of your whelping box so that the pups can crawl off of it when they need to.

The pad's max. temp is 102 but if something is on top of it it traps the heat. Put a pillow on the heating pad for ten minutes at maximum heat and then feel how hot the pillow is. The covers that come with these heating pads are made out of materials that don't trap the heat so much. If you cover the pad with materials that trap the heat you could create a hazard or damage your pad.

Pups do best at 72-74 degrees. I keep a thermometer on the bottom of the whelping box for the first few days to get an idea of how comfortable it is for them. You dont want to dehydrate newborns. If it's a good sized litter they usually are warm enough on their own.

I buy table lamp sliding switch dimmers at Home Depot for about $11. I use them on my Lectro Pads and on a heat lamp.
They are inexpensive, readily available and work great!

Lutron Credenza® 300 Watt Lamp Dimmer, White
Model # TT-300H-WH
Internet # 100001525
$10.97 /EA-Each

Thank you Laura......I will go to Home Depot in the morning !!!