Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How can you tell ?

I have a nice boy about to be finished. I have had some interest. How do you check out breeder asking about him ? Have one that makes me nervous, she has alot of litters, no titles, and mostly breeds to her own dogs. Want to protect my pedigree after all this expense. Am I just handy ? I have shipped for my girls. Ask around ? What are good signs, bad signs ?

Re: How can you tell ?

If she makes you nervous, and your gut is not good about it. Dont do it. Thats your sign.

I think your gut might be warning you. Lots of litter, no titles (not even performance??) and using mostly their own boys is not a great sign for me.

Remember, you have no say and no control over anything regarding this litter. Once you sell the stud service, whatever happens happens. If it matters to you to protect your pedigree, then you best not do it.

I would have less of a problem with a pet breeder wanting to use a nice stud for a one-time litter (as long as clearances are done) vs. someone that breeds alot.

I find it interesting that you say you want to protect the pedigree. These pedigrees on labradors are all out there on one dog or another and most have been used 100 times over. I don't really feel there is much of protecting a pedigree in labradors as much as in a smaller breed where their are a limited amount of studs available.

On the other hand, if you feel this breeder is not breeding to improve the breed and is just breeding to sell puppies, then I would not let them use my stud. It is much like selling a puppy to a puppy buyer. If I have a feeling that there is something wrong and the person does not seem right to me. I don't place a puppy with them.

Protecting what lines? As far as I know the top stud dogs in the breed history are on almost every dog's pedigree and their owners didn't/don't care who they breed to.
Your dog is not even a champion, so what is so special about him?
I've heard this "protecting the lines" before and always from newbies. It is nonsense to me.
Ask the right questions and check on the clearances. If you decide not to allow the breeding the bitch owner will look for another dog and most likely she will find a better option for her bitch.

Breeder
Protecting what lines? As far as I know the top stud dogs in the breed history are on almost every dog's pedigree and their owners didn't/don't care who they breed to.
Your dog is not even a champion, so what is so special about him?
I've heard this "protecting the lines" before and always from newbies. It is nonsense to me.
Ask the right questions and check on the clearances. If you decide not to allow the breeding the bitch owner will look for another dog and most likely she will find a better option for her bitch.

That was a rude response and, quite frankly, didn't contain any useful information...

And, really? "A better option"? How about just saying "another option"?

You are rude. Shame on you.

Boy, you are rude. I agree. If you have been working with third or forth genration of your own line and you have a good, in your mind match with what this boy is becoming. You also have spent ALOT of money with clearances and handling fee being part of it. Heck no I don't want just anyone breeding my lines.
You are the one that sounds new. And a strange look on breeding.

Excuse me. I didn't mean to be rude. It was more like a touch of reality. I applaud her devotion to her dog, but if she is asking these questions if because she is newer to breeding. I have indeed seen this before and makes no sense to me. Most top stud owners will breed to anything that has clearances specially when they want to test/prove their dogs. What is so special about her dogs? What pedigree she has that no one have those dogs on their own pedigrees???
I didn't mean a better dog, just a better option. Someone that will work with her.
Chill down!

OP, Not new, just someone who trys to do things right. Have not had a stud in a few years. Had one for years and this one is out of an excellant pedigree that I can bet you don't have. I don't use the show dog flavor of the day. I use and build a pedigree of beautiful and smart dogs. Top dogs you would sure know, but years of getting here. You are still trying to be rude. Sorry you are not proud of what you have produced.

You can get on the AKC website and see if they've always sold with limited registration. That is a big key to protecting your pedigree.

I also agree with going with gut feel. However, I don't necessarily agree with not allowing stud service to those who always use their own studs. They may have great lines using their own studs - that can be part of their own building of their lines and pedigrees. These breeders may wish to now and then breed out of their own lines/kennel to bring in what they need.

totally agree here, just because a breeder chooses to plan ahead years with breeding, uses a planned stud dog to really make "true lines" does not mean they are a back yard breeder. In fact they put more thought into it than those that just chase the new up and coming winners. you will never have a "line".

BRDR
They may have great lines using their own studs - that can be part of their own building of their lines and pedigrees. These breeders may wish to now and then breed out of their own lines/kennel to bring in what they need.

I agree with the above regarding using one's own stud dogs. Some of the most influential breeders in this breed keep boys back from litters specifically to use them strategically in building their programs. I can think of a few that I would consider an honor if they asked to use one of my boys. JMHO

I do agree that there are many good/great breeders out there that do use their own boys, BECAUSE they have proven the dog's worth. But the key here is "Many litters, no titles, own dogs"....that combo triggers a red flag in my mind.

There are plenty of fantastic breeders that do have lots of litters and constantly are out there showing their dogs, and using those handsome proven studs they keep back...but those are probably names we most likely would recognize.

It's easy to go on a website of a breeder and see their 25 dogs, their multipe litters a month, the pedigrees that "appear" nice and how they breed their own stock over and over again. When they don't list clearances, registered names, titles...then you have to wonder.

I think the rude comments come from possibly hitting too close to home????

You are right hmnn, I agree. You said it just right.
Thanks

Anytime I want to see a good cat fight I just come on over here. Amazing....