Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clear by parentage - for females

The clear by parentage topic has me thinking. I personally like to see studs cleared themselves. But what about the females? I am soon going to be breeding a girl where both parents were EIC clear. Should I clear her, or just go on her parentage? What would/do you do? Of course I personally know she's clear but will stud owners accept parents test results, etc.

Re: Clear by parentage - for females

If you were coming to my stud dogs, yes, I would accept it. You will be the one standing behind your puppies. My boys are all EIC clear through their own clearances so my view point may be different than someone who has a carrier boy.

For me, allowing one generation of Clear by Parentage is fine. But any offspring kept from that breeding you are planning, I would test them, even though you are pretty sure they are clear as well.

I would have no problem letting a stud be used by a bitch with "Clear by Parentage" PRA or EIC clearances. I would hope we are all erring on the side of people being honest vs. lying about clearances. Or we should at least try to get back to that.

How about a stud dog that is clear by parentage for PRA? I know it's only $95 to test that boy. Should I use him although he isn't tested? He also has no EIC testing that I am aware of. My girl is tested for everything.

Where are you getting $95 PRA testing?

?
How about a stud dog that is clear by parentage for PRA? I know it's only $95 to test that boy. Should I use him although he isn't tested? He also has no EIC testing that I am aware of. My girl is tested for everything.

As others have stated, Optigen discounts their high price for clear by parentage get being tested, and they also discount it for Normal x Affected.
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_price.html

They state:

"Normal x Normal or Normal x Affected Discounts: For tests on dogs whose parents have both been tested at OptiGen and who are not Carriers. Price of testing is reduced to $95 each for prcd-PRA or CEA, all other tests are $75 each (does not apply to NCL-A tests.) See Application for further information on this discount option."

I'm going to pass on him if his owners can't spend under $100 to test him for PRA even if he's clear by parentage.

They don't believe in EIC testing I've been told. The fact that they don't test leads me to believe maybe they have carriers or affecteds. My girl is clear so it's not a big problem but I would like to know what I'm dealing with.

If he was tested a clear, I wouldn't have to test my keepers if I used him. I took the time to test my girl, they could test their stud dogs I would think even if they don't feel the test is valid. I have some doubts but I still test.

I wish breeders were as concerned about echo dopplers as they are about EIC. There is a stud dog I looked at that several breeders used in the past 6 months. I found no echo on the website so I emailed. All he has is auscultation. Forgetting him for my girl too, for a more valid reason. The lack of an echo and part of his pedigree. I don't care who else is using him.