Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great site!!!!!!!!!!! Can-I-give-my-dog ?

Have any of you seen this site and all the information on here? I was extremely surprised by it and how accurate it seems to be.

*Can-I-Give-My-Dog*

http://www.marvelousproducts.com/Can-I-give-my-dog-p/information-can-i-give-my-dog.htm

Re: Great site!!!!!!!!!!! Can-I-give-my-dog ?

I've given cheese, ice cream, pure cranberry juice and coated aspirin-the latter two on the advice of a vet.

Thanks for passing the link along! I see the mention about the cough syrup and that's a good one to note and as reminder to always read the labels closely.

"Human cough syrup may contain acetaminophen (Tylenol) and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). Both are toxic to dogs, and should never be given."

valwhalen
Thanks for passing the link along! I see the mention about the cough syrup and that's a good one to note and as reminder to always read the labels closely.

"Human cough syrup may contain acetaminophen (Tylenol) and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). Both are toxic to dogs, and should never be given."

Actually, Tylenol is toxic to CATS, not dogs. That is a common misconception. Tylenol is in fact a very useful adjunct in the treatment of chronic canine pain.

Michelle Ragsdale DVM
valwhalen

Actually, Tylenol is toxic to CATS, not dogs. That is a common misconception. Tylenol is in fact a very useful adjunct in the treatment of chronic canine pain.

Why does my current vet and every vet I've ever used tell me to never give tylenol to my dogs? I've never had a vet tell me to use tylenol and when I asked years ago, the reply was always a firm no.

I don't know exactly what other vets know or what they are thinking.

I do know why *I* don't discuss it with most pet owners -- just with the cases I see in my canine pain management practice -- because 1) it works best as an ADJUNCT tool in a multi-modal pain strategy; it does not tend to work well on its own 2) unfortunately, a very small amount WILL kill CATS and sadly, many pet owners get confused when they are trying to remember which species they CAN give it to (so sometimes better just to stress the "toxic" word) and 3) it has a relatively narrow therapeutic index -- that is, a relatively small margin of error in terms of dosing safety, so detailed discussions of individual dogs/cases is critical.

Michelle Ragsdale DVM

Read your most recent post too. With all due respect, if there is a small margin for error in dosing, probably best to say then 'can be toxic to dogs' and not say "Tylenol is toxic to CATS, not dogs".

Well, most substances "can be toxic" if given in excess of recommended doses. The original quote from the website said Tylenol "IS" toxic to dogs. I simply didn't want folks to think that if their veterinarian recommended it, the vet was mistaken. Also didn't want folks to think that webiste was the be-all and end-all, although it certainly looks good in terms of what I saw!

Just tryin' to clarify.....

MIchelle Ragsdale DVM
Well, most substances "can be toxic" if given in excess of recommended doses. The original quote from the website said Tylenol "IS" toxic to dogs. I simply didn't want folks to think that if their veterinarian recommended it, the vet was mistaken. Also didn't want folks to think that webiste was the be-all and end-all, although it certainly looks good in terms of what I saw!

Just tryin' to clarify.....

Thanks for the clarification. I think the "relatively small margin of error in terms of dosing safety" is an important cautionary warning because sometimes people are of the thinking that if a little is good, more has to be better.