Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC and Stud Dogs

I was just reading the posts about Ingen and ran across one in which the breeder stated that he/she wouldn't use a stud dog that had not been tested for EIC. I understand that. However, I have seen EIC clears with pedigrees that are very suspicious for other diseases. EIC is just ONE of MANY problems that can pop up in a pedigree, and it's easy to breed around. I'll take the risk of EIC over the risk of TVD, for example. It's funny how people aren't as fussy about heart clearances as they are about EIC...

Re: EIC and Stud Dogs

Because there is no test for TVD. The TVD test they have now will only tell if a dog has TVD or not. It does not tell if the dog can produce it. The top TVD producer in recent times has a heart clearance. A lot of good that has done to the hundreds of TVD pups he has been responsible for. EIC test is similar to the PRA test. You can breed around producing affecteds just by making sure one parent is clear.

Breeder
Because there is no test for TVD. The TVD test they have now will only tell if a dog has TVD or not. It does not tell if the dog can produce it. The top TVD producer in recent times has a heart clearance. A lot of good that has done to the hundreds of TVD pups he has been responsible for. EIC test is similar to the PRA test. You can breed around producing affecteds just by making sure one parent is clear.

You are proving my point. People want to breed paper to paper. Since the dog in question has a peice of paper saying he is clear for TVD, people assume they don't have to do any research into lines, pedigrees, etc. Because this dog you speak of is from other dogs that regularly have produced TVD in the past. No matter how much paper that particular dog has attached to him, I will NEVER use him on one of my girls.

I will not breed paper to paper. I breed dog to dog. I choose studs for my bitches based on what they need, not if they are clear for EIC or PRA. Especially when my bitch is clear.

A test is a test and that's all it is. I have a bitch I suspect is a Carrier...haven't tested her. Heck, she may be affected. I bred her back when the test wasn't being done, bred her to a dog that wasn't tested because the test wasn't being done. Ended up with a handful of carriers and an affected in the pups I tested. Sire ended up being a Carrier when finally tested. So I never bothered testing my girl...I know she's one or the other, certainly NOT clear. Bred her no problem to a Clear boy. No chance of affected, so why bother doing the test.

I just don't understand why folks FIGHT the test. Just do it or make educated choices around it. If you don't want to test your bitches, FINE. Use only clear boys. No big deal. If you have a clear bitch, FINE...you can use any boy you want.

The test is a test used to make decisions. Why throw out dogs because of it. Just because Stud A won't work for me, doesn't mean he's not perfect for you.

Why do we need to argue about it? I don't care if you test or not. But when I need to make a breeding decision, I will pick the dog that is best for my bitch and I'll have to pick a Clear boy. So Mr. Stud Owner, you didn't test your boy, I think you and I will live our lives just fine if we choose not to do business together. I am sure YOUR boy is not the ONLY stud out there that pairs well with my bitch.

If for some reason a particular stud is the ONLY one I could possibly use with my bitch because this would be the pedigree match of the century and both dogs are 100% perfect...I would hope the Stud owner would be willing to test their boy in order to create this magical ALL champion litter . If they aren't willing, they are really probably not the type of person you should be working with anyway, so why bother getting into bed with a schmuck in the first place.

Breeding is multi-faceted. Wake up folks.

So would you use a dog with 0-1 elbows? I bet not.

me

I just don't understand why folks FIGHT the test. Just do it or make educated choices around it. If you don't want to test your bitches, FINE. Use only clear boys. No big deal. If you have a clear bitch, FINE...you can use any boy you want.

The test is a test used to make decisions. Why throw out dogs because of it. Just because Stud A won't work for me, doesn't mean he's not perfect for you.

Why do we need to argue about it? I don't care if you test or not. But when I need to make a breeding decision, I will pick the dog that is best for my bitch and I'll have to pick a Clear boy. So Mr. Stud Owner, you didn't test your boy, I think you and I will live our lives just fine if we choose not to do business together. I am sure YOUR boy is not the ONLY stud out there that pairs well with my bitch.

If for some reason a particular stud is the ONLY one I could possibly use with my bitch because this would be the pedigree match of the century and both dogs are 100% perfect...I would hope the Stud owner would be willing to test their boy in order to create this magical ALL champion litter . If they aren't willing, they are really probably not the type of person you should be working with anyway, so why bother getting into bed with a schmuck in the first place.

I agree. Why are some folks so afraid of information? If I test, then I have information that can aid in the breeding decision. Not breeding paper to paper or clearance to clearance, but just adding another piece of the puzzle in considering the best combination of dam and sire.

Using the knowledge available today is not wrong; using it wisely is how today's breeder can survive the obstacle course of health issues and preserve the wonders of this breed into the future.

If you don't test, it is not my place to say you are wrong and I am right. It is just my choice to not use your stud or include your lines in my breeding choices. No argument, or fighting. Just a simple decision on both our parts.

me
A test is a test and that's all it is. I have a bitch I suspect is a Carrier...haven't tested her. Heck, she may be affected. I bred her back when the test wasn't being done, bred her to a dog that wasn't tested because the test wasn't being done. Ended up with a handful of carriers and an affected in the pups I tested. Sire ended up being a Carrier when finally tested. So I never bothered testing my girl...I know she's one or the other, certainly NOT clear. Bred her no problem to a Clear boy. No chance of affected, so why bother doing the test.

The reason is obvious, The people that fight the test are stud owners that have affected/carrier dogs. It is, at the end of the day, a money problem. I'm not trying to throw wood in the fire. I would use these studs on my cleared bitches The truth plain and simple. The funny thing is that involved breeders know who these dogs/lines are, so no need to hide the truth or post results.

"I'll take the risk of EIC over the risk of TVD, for example."

I agree; EIC is not as serious as TVD. However, it is a lot harder to get information about who the producers are, and not everyone is privy to the information. In fact, many breeders seem to have the attitude that it is for me to know and you to find out. Then they question the breeding practices of the people they refuse to help. I have specifically asked several people who frequent this forum questions about TVD by private email - do you think I always get an answer? Have you tried to get such information and been denied? If you are one of those people who keep complaining about pedigrees that have TVD producers in them, have you ever ignored an appeal for information? I don't mean naming names on a public forum, but by private request. Do you tell someone interested in your stud dog about all the problems in the lines behind him?

I've been around long enough to know some of the lines that produce affected dogs, but even so, I've unknowingly bred litters that had more risk than I would have been willing to accept had I known what I know now. What if I were a novice just starting out - how would I learn about these things? I had one of the best mentors when I started out, but she is no longer with us, and even she got unpleasantly surprised sometimes.

That's why the genetic tests are so great. You have reliable information about that specific dog; you don't have to dig through his ancestry to ferret out whether or not he carries a particular gene. You don't have to play guessing games with OFA records. You can use dogs you might otherwise avoid because you know that PRA or EIC is in the pedigree. I suspect that one reason some people dislike the tests is that they no longer have their secret stash of information that makes them fell more empowered than the average breeder.

breeder/stud dog owner
Breeder

You are proving my point. People want to breed paper to paper. Since the dog in question has a peice of paper saying he is clear for TVD, people assume they don't have to do any research into lines, pedigrees, etc. Because this dog you speak of is from other dogs that regularly have produced TVD in the past. No matter how much paper that particular dog has attached to him, I will NEVER use him on one of my girls.

I will not breed paper to paper. I breed dog to dog. I choose studs for my bitches based on what they need, not if they are clear for EIC or PRA. Especially when my bitch is clear.

And what if every lab had a TVD heart clearance by doppler the same as most labs have a hip clearance? Then would we breeding paper to paper? No!

I blame those that refuse to do a clearances if we're going by your * paper to paper * breeding scenario.

Me too, EIC is not that big of a deal for show/pet people. No that it wouldn't scare the c***p out of me to see my dog dragging his legs, but it is not a life threatening thing like PRA, TVD and definitely not as serious as full bloom epilepsy.
Still, it is nice to be able to breed around it.

Breeder
The top TVD producer in recent times has a heart clearance. A lot of good that has done to the hundreds of TVD pups he has been responsible for.

I don't know of a single stud dog responsible for HUNDREDS of TVD pups, even those who have a higher incidence of TVD in offspring. Please e-mail me privately if you have the name of a stud dog who is producing that significant of an incidence of TVD. I'm working on a research project for TVD in labradors and this is intriguing to me. Thanks! -Julie

Julie Langhans
Breeder
The top TVD producer in recent times has a heart clearance. A lot of good that has done to the hundreds of TVD pups he has been responsible for.

I don't know of a single stud dog responsible for HUNDREDS of TVD pups, even those who have a higher incidence of TVD in offspring. Please e-mail me privately if you have the name of a stud dog who is producing that significant of an incidence of TVD. I'm working on a research project for TVD in labradors and this is intriguing to me. Thanks! -Julie

Awkward.

I was thinking the same thing. I sure don't know of any dog who is responsible for "hundreds" of TVD puppies. And, if he is then my next question is how many puppies did he produce that are NOT TVD affected - must be thousands!

Elizabeth Martin
I was thinking the same thing. I sure don't know of any dog who is responsible for "hundreds" of TVD puppies. And, if he is then my next question is how many puppies did he produce that are NOT TVD affected - must be thousands!

Bingo!

Breeder

Are you referring to a dog that has directly produced hundreds of TVD affected pups, or indirectly down through multiple generations? If directly, I would also be interested in having that information for my database. I have not found any that have produced that many affected in the first generation.

Susan Mouw
Breeder

Are you referring to a dog that has directly produced hundreds of TVD affected pups, or indirectly down through multiple generations? If directly, I would also be interested in having that information for my database. I have not found any that have produced that many affected in the first generation.

I don't think it is possible to know how many TVD pups any dog has produced. Very few breeders who have TVD pups ever tell. And some are never known, as they are in pet homes, and may never show severe symptoms. Some are born dead, or die within days, and are never diagnosed or necropsied. I doubt any stud dog owner would keep a record of TVD pups reported to them.

I doubt any stud dog owner would keep a record of TVD pups reported to them.

That is a sad commentary on the state of the breeding art

If a dog really has produced hundreds of TVD puppies, it does not matter if he produced hundreds or thousands of clear puppies - why would a dog be kept at stud that repeatedly produced affected puppies?

Per a search on OFA, there are only 11 Labradors listed with abnormal cardiac results. If one based opinions on what is reported/communicated, one would think TVD is a non-issue in Labradors. Where are all of the TVD affected dogs? Of course they are out there, but because there is no test or good way of identifying carriers (because very few people are honest and open about what their dogs have produced and would rather believe that it was not THEIR dog but the other dog used in the breeding that produced the issue), people are allowed to unknowingly breed to dogs that they probably would not use if they had pertinent info. I will take an imperfect EIC test any day over the secrecy surrounding seizures and TVD.

Communication
If a dog really has produced hundreds of TVD puppies, it does not matter if he produced hundreds or thousands of clear puppies - why would a dog be kept at stud that repeatedly produced affected puppies?

It's because some breeders only care about the almighty stud fee dollar and winning. The littermates and parents of those affected dogs and pups have won time after time even at the largest specialties.

I don't know if there's a single dog that produced hundreds of TVD puppies but there are several from similar lines who have produced more than they should have been allowed to and some still are. There is a dog I was told to stay away from that produced over 40 *litters* with TVD affected puppies. Do we blame that on all of those 40 bitches or might the dog be responsible?

Thank you for that post, Peggy. I've been around for only six years, but have tried my best to learn what lines have which problems and it's a more than frustrating effort that usually offers no clear results. People who don't share information they have about deadly diseases in lines of Labs could not possibly love this breed more than they love something else. That something else could be status, ego, money, friendships, but it's more powerful than the health of these dogs, and I find that sad for a breeder dedicated to this breed.

Your so right Anne. Why hide it? Why say you dont believe in the test because it currently just a "marker", who cares. For now, what EIC has to offer is at least a place to start, to know what direction to go in with your breeding program. Unfortunately, I have an affected female, and MUST avoid considering several lovely stud dogs because the owners just wont do it...or, they wont admit they did it. Why would you hide a result? Either you did it because you want to know for yourself and the betterment of the breed, or your chosing to have blinders on and tell people how incorrect the testing process for it is. Plain and simple...I can tell FOR SURE that my bitch's Daddy is either a Carrier or an Affected, your guess is as good as mine.