Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hyperkeratosis or Lupus?

Friend has a 13 yr old lab that has developed problems about three months ago.
Nose looks cracked and bleeds at times.
Nails are peeling and cracking.
Twice they have broken to the point that they had to be cut at the base.
Pads are hard and getting ridges on them which makes it hard for the old girl to walk.
Diagnosis have been hyperkeratosis or lupus.
Waiting for nose biopsy report.
Topical application of different salves has not helped.
Staph infection was found from skin scraping and a month on antibiotics has not helped.

Any new ways to deal with this?

Re: Hyperkeratosis or Lupus?

Hyperkeratosis is a genetic condition that develops at an early age and is relatively rare among Labs. Since the dog is 13, I would bet that it's lupus.
As for treatment, I have a hyperkeratosis Lab that is treated with Vitamin E and A and Aquaphor lotion. It helps, but there is no cure.

Kate is correct, Hyperkeratosis normally can be seen around 6-7 months of age. It generally slightly improves as the dog ages.

I agree with Kate and Gregg in the fact that hyperkeratosis usually shows it's ugly head early on. My 14 year old girl started to show signs around that 6-7 month old age. I do though disagree that it is rare in Labradors. I believe many Labradors were, and may still be, misdiagnosed if a biopsy was not, or is not being taken.

In my girl's case the results of the hyperkeratosis were quite bad early on. Then as the years progressed her problems seemed to get better and then two years ago the problems began to appear more frequently.

Thanks for the replies.
This dog is a rescue so we have no idea if she had any problems like this when younger.
Nose biopsey was done and are awaiting the results.

Carol
I agree with Kate and Gregg in the fact that hyperkeratosis usually shows it's ugly head early on. My 14 year old girl started to show signs around that 6-7 month old age. I do though disagree that it is rare in Labradors. I believe many Labradors were, and may still be, misdiagnosed if a biopsy was not, or is not being taken.

In my girl's case the results of the hyperkeratosis were quite bad early on. Then as the years progressed her problems seemed to get better and then two years ago the problems began to appear more frequently.

I agree with all said already except the rarity today. The age of the dog showing problems in the nose or pads of the feet would tell you which disease the dog has, hyperkeratosis or lupus.

Hyperkertosis is not as rare as it was years ago. There are more Labs carrying it now then 10 to 20 years back.

I *heard* there is a study that's going to begin soon by a known University. Testing of affected dogs will be free initially. Inheritance would be the same as PRA. Clear to Clear = Clear, Clear to Carrier = 50% Carrier 50% Clear and Carrier to Carrier is not recommended as there would be some affecteds in the group. It would take 2 copies of the alelle to produce an affected.

I wish they would complete the TVD and epilepsy testing before beginning another test but the University studies what they choose to.

I agree that is probably a simple recessive. That is why the researchers are focusing on this issue to find the gene. A test for TVD will be much more complicated (if not impossible) since the mode of inheritance seems to be autosomal dominant with incomplete penetrance.

I think that there are a few fairly well used stud dogs who were carriers of nasal hyperkeratosis being bred quite a bit and that is how the gene was spread around. When anyone would breed offspring of these stud dogs, there seemed to be some in the litters who were affected. I ALWAYS check foot pads on any potential breeding dogs to make sure that there is no horney tissue down there which would indicate hyperkeratosis - They can have thickend and rough tissue on there pads from hyperkeratosis, not only lupus, too). The nose is obvious, the feet get overlooked by novices.

Canine Discoid Lupus Erythematosus

Update on the old girl:diagnosed with
Canine Discoid Lupus Erythematosus
Treatment includes, for the moment, antibiotics since her nose developed a staph infection along with Vit E caps and a steroid cream for her nose.
All seems to be stable right now.
Thanks to those who commented.