Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Showing an AKC-registered dog in Canada.

I am planning on taking my AKC-male to a Canadian show in August. I was looking at the CKC website and it looks like I need to obtain an ERN (event registration number) for my dog, within 30 days of the event.

What I am wondering is, can I take him to the show, under his AKC number and name, and if we pick up points, get the ERN number within 30 days of the show (so after the show)? Or, do I have to have the ERN number 30 days prior to the show?
I just thought that if he doesn't earn anything (this would be in conformation and possibly performance we'd show in), then it would save me some money from having to get him his ERN number.

Does anyone know what it costs to get the ERN number? I could not find that on the site.
This is my first Canadian show, so please excuse my ingnorance. (I do have my passport, )

Thank you.

Re: Showing an AKC-registered dog in Canada.

You need an ERN within 30 days of earning points or qualifying scores or you will lose them. Until then you can pay a listing fee to show.

I did basically what you're thinking of my first time showing over the border. Just enter the show and make sure you pay the listing fee. When/if you want to get the ERN, go here...

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Portals/0/pdf/ckc%20forms/shows%20&%20trials/Other%20Shows%20&%20Trials%20Forms/02-150-14-50.pdf

Just be aware, the CKC can be notoriously slow!

I just got an ERN for a puppy that will be shown in Canada next month. I opted to get the ern now instead of waiting for points as the listing fee is over $9 per day now. I think it was $56.00 for the ern. I faxed mine in early last week and called them yesterday and they gave me the # over the phone.
Have fun!

As in the states, you can show listed for your first show, and then you have 30-90 days to get him/her registered with the registry.

CKC is NOT slow these days - I can tell you that you will have your CKC number within a week with their current service,

Good luck at your shows!

Canuck
As in the states, you can show listed for your first show, and then you have 30-90 days to get him/her registered with the registry.

CKC is NOT slow these days - I can tell you that you will have your CKC number within a week with their current service,

Good luck at your shows!

If AKC is on top of their paperwork, you'll have Exactly 30 days to get the dog registered or risk losing any points earned.
As far as CKC, we faxed an ern request on a Monday, called the following Monday and they gave us our number over the phone. Very quick!

As of January 1, 2010 a dog from an AKC registered litter must be registered as of the day of the show. A dog can no longer be shown on its litter number.

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/faqs.cfm