Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dull coat

I have a 10-1/2-year-old chocolate male. I've noticed over the last year that his coat is not as shiny and healthy-looking as it used to be in his younger days. It seems dry and he sheds like there is no tomorrow. He is on regular Wellness CORE, has been since the food came out. I add 1 salmon oil capsule to his food daily, 1000 mg. Recently had a senior panel, bloodwork, etc., all came back looking good. Could a food change be in order? Would he need something higher in protein or in fat? CORE is 34% protein, 14% fat. I want him on a grain-free diet, has been on one for 7-1/2 years and he cannot have any eggs (major hot spots). Any input would be very much appreciated.

Re: Dull coat

It's possibly because his coat is "dying", dead coat is very dull. Try a shedding blade, I also like the Tea Tree Oil Spray. That's my guess.

My senior chocolate also 10 has a horrible coat right now. I am at a loss at what to do. I've use a furminator, a slicker brush...mink oil sprayed in the coat. It's just dry and falling out. He's not naked, but it looks bad. We're on PP Chicken/Rice. Which in the past has been great for him.

Maybe senior sheds are just this way?

Have you run some bloodwork to check for Hypothyroidism or Cushings disease? Both conditions can cause poor hair coat....Just a thought.

Yup, all tests done on my guy...he is hypothyroid but on medication. I might need to retest again though, it's coming up on that time again.

Retest to make sure amount of meds you are giving is still appropriate dosage.

My chocolates are shedding right now also. Not a pretty sight. Too much reddish stuff and just dry looking like you say. Give it a little time. It will be back.

Melody Losea
Have you run some bloodwork to check for Hypothyroidism or Cushings disease? Both conditions can cause poor hair coat....Just a thought.

Just had bloodwork earlier this month, no abnormalities. When he was younger, he never used to shed like he does now. My last chocolate I had had a great coat, even at age 14, so this is why I am a little concerned, and that dog was hypothyroid. If I did want to try a different food, should I go for a higher protein food?

My 16.5 yr old chocolate girl has had terrible shedding and dandruff this spring. I had moved her to adult food, thinking the performance was too much protein for her, but she is back on peformance now.

She gets 2 cups a day and it has been a couple of months now--the dandruff has decreased and so has the shedding.

MWK

I have a 12-year-old chocolate boy. His coat was dull, and he sheds copiously all year round, something he never did as a youngster. His bloodwork always comes back normal.
I've seen some improvement by adding 1 Vitamin E 400 IEU to his food daily. He also gets 1000mgs of fish oil daily.
I really think it's just a by product of his aging.

I think that I get more oil in the coat when I feed a higher fat content. More like 20%

If you decide to try a food switch you might try Acana Pacifica. It is 18% fat, 33% protein. It is egg free.