Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is the Best top load washer

I need a new washer.

I use my washer to not only was clothes, but also dog blankets, beds, etc.

I have looked at GE & Maytag.

any advise greatly apprecaited.

Re: what is the Best top load washer

My brother has a top-load Maytag Bravo, HE washer. He has been happy with it. He did have an issue with bulkier loads, machine getting a little wonky, but then I mentioned that there should be a bulky setting. Next time he did a bulky load, found the setting and no problems.

Check Consumer Reports. I've always done well with their ratings. What someone else likes, you may not or the reverse.

Look for a good warrantee or get the store you buy from to throw in a 5 year to clinch the sale. If you don't ask, you don't recieve.

Have fun shopping!

Also purchased a Maytag Bravo HE and really like it. Very quiet, but clothes are clean and very reduced water and soap.

I just bought a new Maytag Bravo today, so I am glad to see this. One thing I knew I wanted was the top-load washer with no center agitator. That's what my current washer is and it is great, it is so big dog beds are no problem, I can even wash horse blankets in it.

Maytag is rated high for sure. Don't overlook the machines made by Electrolux (or Fridgedaire). Both are huge and very well made.

VERY WELL MADE - - - we wash tons of stuff and it works great.

which one do you have?

There are several good models. We bought the Model #:EWFLS70JIW which is the white top of the line. 4.42 cubic feet - it is gigantic.

I wanted a machine which, using steam, would sanitize the laundry. It is very good and works very well - gobbling up all manners of dog beds, blankets and so on.

Steam works like a champ. It is about 3 yrs old now. Still works like new.

We bought a Maytag top loader with no center agitator about 4 years ago. Not only does it not clean the clothes because of almost no water in the wash cycle, but it has broken down 4 times in the last three years. I gave it away. We bought GE front loaders and so far they are a hit. My clothes are clean now. However the dryer we had from Maytag lasted 29 years.

Got the Maytag Bravo. One word-AWESOME. Can't say enough good things about it,can't go wrong with one.

OK, I just ordered the Maytag Bravos MVWB450WQ
Bravos® Top Load Washer with PowerWash™ Cycle

It is supposed to be delivered Friday.
Do any of you have this model? Any more feedback?
I can still cancel or change the model.

I also did not like the HE Maytag top loader. I also thought no center, great for dog blankets.

it was horrible....they are set up with very little water and the motion is suppose to pull the laundry into center to side circles so the clothes are in the water at some time. It did not clean our jeans, work uniforms or dog blankets worth a damn.

I returned it for the old school Maytag.

Laura -my friend bought the 450WQ that you've ordered, and I have the 850WQ. We got them about 3 months ago, and both love these machines!! I chose the 850 for the internal water heater (Clean Boost Option) in order to wash dog items in hot, hot water. My friend's son is a mechanic, and her machine cleans his greasy work clothes without hesitation, even in a cold water wash. We are both thrilled with the capacity - you won't believe how much you can wash in one load. I've used every cycle, and am more than satisfied with each one. Plus, the machine is very quiet. This was important in my house, since the laundry is right by the living area.

Definitely read over the manual. You will load it differently than you are used to, and will use way less detergent (and will need HE detergent). Our installer suggested to even just use half the amount that the HE detergent recommends on the bottle. That is what I do, and the clothes are cleaner than ever. The machine will use much less water than you are used to, which seems wrong, but that is what it is designed to do. I agree with Bravo above - awesome and can't say enough good things about it!

Thanks for the feedback. It wasn't supposed to come until Friday, but I begged for early delivery since we have been w/o a washer for almost 2 weeks. When they heard we had 10 dogs, 2 puppies and 2 horses plus people, they took pity on me and delivered it today!

I'll let you know how it works out! It is surely getting a "Trial by Fire" since we have such a backload of dog rugs, whelping box rugs, clothes, etc.

Does this washer allow for a full fill on the tub?

I have a new top of the line GE frontload replacement ( after our first one died twice, the last time after just 3 days) I can't get the dog towels really clean if they get muddy even if I use the "soak" cycle,and I like to be able to fill the washer and just let things soak.

Hi, Tiffany - The tub will not fill for the soak cycle like a regular machine. It fills the way it does for all cycles, by "sensing" how much water is needed, moves the items around to get them all wet, then it soaks for the time you choose. I'm not sure if that's different from your GE. I generally don't use a soak cycle, and I've only used it once so far to see if it would help to get out stubborn odors, which it did.

I've washed loads of muddy towels with a normal cycle, hot water and by choosing the "heavy soil" option, and they've come out cleaner than with my old agitator style machine (and with washing more at once because of it having a bigger tub). I can't say if it would take the place of soaking like you are used to, only that so far, everything "dog" (towels, car seat covers, couch throws, bed covers) is coming out clean. I like that I can choose different options for the cycle to fit the needs of what is being washed (hope that makes sense). Hope this helps!

Thanks the info does help. Even on soak mode our GE frontload only fills to it's usual mark and then lets the load sit, but turns the drum avery few minutes, it's not the same as a true soak.
The only way I found to get more water in the front load was to choose the "athletic shoes" cycle, it fills above the door line and turns every few minutes too, but there is alot more water than any other cycle.