Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What should we be looking for???

A good friend and I were having a discussion earlier today about puppy foods/dog food in general. I have fed a certain food since I got started in Labradors. I tried other brands that people said were better, but I just didn't see any improvement in my girls, and in some cases, I saw the opposite.

Now, my puppy food that I've been feeding FOR YEARS apparently will not be available in my area. So, I'm on the hunt for a new one. Which got me and my friend talking... I was told about calcium, protein and fat %'s and which ones I should look for by someone when I got started, and now I wonder, where did they get that information. I never questioned their facts, but now I am... I just want to understand canine nutrition better.

So my question is, what percent of protein, fat, calcium is good for puppies and growing adolescent's as well as maintaining adults. And is there any websites with those facts? I've NEVER had a problem, but I haven't been in this breed long enough to not question if I'm really doing the right thing for my girls/puppies.

Thanks to any and all information on this interesting subject!

Re: What should we be looking for???

Have you looked into some of the companies that ship food? You can actually get pretty decent prices with free/low shipping from Petsmart and Petco (if they carry the food in question).

I try to feed a puppy food that is readily available for my puppy familes. I try to stick to something between 26/16 and 30/20.

This is a good question!! I would like to know too what the ideal % of the protein, fat and the calcium you guy's like to feed your puppies!! I did hear that the % between the calcium and the phosphorus where the most important.

Hildur@Draumalands
I did hear that the % between the calcium and the phosphorus where the most important.

Same here, Hildur... I have heard the same about calcium and phosphorus. I just want to understand this a bit more about what percentages we should be looking for and why...

I atteneded a two day seminar last year at our vet college and one of the speakers talked about nutrition and percentages (calcium & Phosphorus). There have been studies that directly link growth issues to these two minerals.

I will dig out my notes as well as the reference and post. It will probably not happen until tonight or tomorrow.

SMS
I atteneded a two day seminar last year at our vet college and one of the speakers talked about nutrition and percentages (calcium & Phosphorus). There have been studies that directly link growth issues to these two minerals.

I will dig out my notes as well as the reference and post. It will probably not happen until tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you! I know many will be happy to see that.

My apologies for not getting this sooner...I have been a little preoccupied with things here.

Our speaker on nutrition was Joe Wakshald, DVM, PhD, DACVN from Cornell University. His was not associated with any dog food companies so his presentation was specific to nutritional needs for dogs and I felt that it was a straight talk with no agendas. This particular session was on lifestage nutrition.

First of all, he clarified...when he was referring to a "large breed" dog...it was any dog that was 70lbs or more at maturity.

In summary we need to pay more focused attention to the calcium and phosphorus ratios in the foods we feed our puppies than the protein percentages.

In his opinion the ideal Calcium percentage was 1% and Phosphorus was .9%...this is what you see on the bag. Studies indicate that you want a 1:1 - 1.5:1 ratio of Calcium:Phosphorus. In situations where the calcium and phosphorus ratios were controlled to these levels, there was a decrease in HOD, OCD and cervical spondylosis.

This is not specific to puppy formulas. If you are feeding your puppy an adult food, you need to pay attention to these ratios as well. Not all adult foods fall into these percentages and those that do not would not be the best alternative for a Large breed puppy.

"Puppies cannot regulate calcium absorption very well. They absorb what they eat. In large/giant breed puppies this can cause bone turnover problems"

"Never supplement with Vitamin D or calcium sources in large/giant breed puppies."

I thought this was an interesting view of protein in puppy diets:

"Although protein is touted as a potential probelem in developmental orthopedic disease, there is no proof that protein concntration in the diet contributes to these problems. If a large breed formula has 26% protein and a puppy formula has 32% protein, the large breed food often provides more protein . This is because the puppy has to eat mor of the lower calorie large breed formula than it would of the regular puppy formula."

One more tidbit about supplements:

"Supplements during growth like omega three fatty acids, glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin sulfate are also used in many large and gient breed puppy diets with no evidence of a protective effect. However, these supplements should be considered for the their parents from the perspective of joint health, anti-inflammation and cognitive well being."

The puppy food I feed my puppies has Calcium 1.05% and
Phosphorous 0.83%. I wonder if that's good enough?? The protein is 26% and the fat is 14%.

Thank you for the answer SMS!!!

Hildur - Based on the lecture and materials...yes, your puppy food falls in the range he stated as preferred.

COOL! Good to know!! By the way I feed my puppies Large Breed puppies from Pro Pac!

Thank you so much SMS for your informative post!!!

SMS

"Never supplement with Vitamin D or calcium sources in large/giant breed puppies."

So what about all the breeders that require buyers to use NuVet supplements? Those could cause increased joint and bone problems. But if the buyer does not use NuVet the health guarantee will not be honored.