Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4.8 --when to breed-- chilled?

my girl hit 4.8 Friday, but i did not get the results today (Saturday)

chilled is being shipped on Monday for Tuesday delivery--breeding, which is 4 days later from the 4.8

Will I be too late or

Re: 4.8 --when to breed-- chilled?

Was the blood for the progesterone test drawn Fri morning or late in the day? You would be better off shipping today, Sat, for a Mon delivery. If that is not possible, then I would make sure you get it in your bitch as soon as you get it in the morning to have any chance.

First off relax, no need to panic. You really need to know when she goes OVER 5 and *then* count two more days. Yes, in a perfect world shipping today, Saturday, would be great but ship on Monday for Tuesday and do another proj. test early Monday morning to see where she is. I'm sure that Tuesday will work out fine.

You are right on! The timing is perfect.

Breeder too
Was the blood for the progesterone test drawn Fri morning or late in the day? You would be better off shipping today, Sat, for a Mon delivery. If that is not possible, then I would make sure you get it in your bitch as soon as you get it in the morning to have any chance.

The test was Friday morning. They cannot ship until Monday

Breeder Also
First off relax, no need to panic. You really need to know when she goes OVER 5 and *then* count two more days. Yes, in a perfect world shipping today, Saturday, would be great but ship on Monday for Tuesday and do another proj. test early Monday morning to see where she is. I'm sure that Tuesday will work out fine.

I am suspect she is over 5 today since Friday morning she was 4.8

They are shipping the chilled Monday for early morning tuesday delivery.

We are doing another test on Monday, but I will not get the results until Tuesday-- the same day as the first shipment.

THANK YOU

Up to you, but if she was 4.8 on Friday morning I would not waste my money on another test on Monday, it will not give you any new information, the number will be sky high by then. Once they ovulate the number is meaningless, you test to try to pinpoint ovulation, and she was ovulating on Friday. I have a pregnant bitch right now, she was bred 3 days after she was 4.7, I did not bother with another test. Good luck, let us know if it worked!

My girl was 4.8 on a Thursday morning. I bred Sunday and Tuesday... I whelped 9 beautiful babies early Friday Morning................63 days from when I fiqured she hit the magic # 5

I agree. Don't waste money on another test. Go out to dinner and enjoy yourself.

Breeder Here Also
My girl was 4.8 on a Thursday morning. I bred Sunday and Tuesday... I whelped 9 beautiful babies early Friday Morning................63 days from when I fiqured she hit the magic # 5

Was it chilled & regular AI?

That is great!!

I had a similar experience, but got same day results. Bitch was 4.8 on Friday morning so we called for semen Saturday for Monday delivery. Repeated progesterone on Saturday and she was 3.8! Repeated again Monday and she was 5.1. Went ahead and bred on Monday and had another delivery for Wednesday and pulled another progesterone and it was 21ng/ml. She had 9 pups from that Monday. In hindsight, she very possibly could have gotten pregnant from one shipment on Tuesday but my Repro vet is insistent on getting a number over 5 and I much prefer to breed when the bitch is in the 18-20 ng/ml range to confirm ovulation.

Obviously it's whatever you are comfortable with but if she misses, you'll
never know if you were early or not! Good luck! Hope the swimmers travel well in this heat!

Flipside
I had a similar experience, but got same day results. Bitch was 4.8 on Friday morning so we called for semen Saturday for Monday delivery. Repeated progesterone on Saturday and she was 3.8! Repeated again Monday and she was 5.1. Went ahead and bred on Monday and had another delivery for Wednesday and pulled another progesterone and it was 21ng/ml. She had 9 pups from that Monday. In hindsight, she very possibly could have gotten pregnant from one shipment on Tuesday but my Repro vet is insistent on getting a number over 5 and I much prefer to breed when the bitch is in the 18-20 ng/ml range to confirm ovulation.

never know if you were early or not! Good luck! Hope the swimmers travel well in this heat!

It's easy to say to skip another level. If she misses.......well lets hope she doesn't.

OP, do what you want b/c only you live with the final results. Hoping you also have 9 pups in 63 days from when you figure her 5 was.

Well I am taking my chances. My bitch went from 0.54ng to 4.0ng in 2 days... I didn't run another test on her so I bred her. We'll see in few weeks whether or not the outcome is good!
Good luck and I hope you'll get allot of nice and healthy puppies in 9 weeks!!

Flipside

Thank you SO much for posting this!!!

Sometimes bitch owners get lazy with progesterone testing and just assume that the bitch has ovulated based on a number close to 4.

Your numbers show that she got to a 4.8 and didn't ovulate for at least 3 more days (remember 5 is only the bottom number for ovulation, some bitches don't ovulate til 10 or so). Chilled semen does not last as long so I think many of our misses are from testing to 4 and stopping. By the time the eggs ovualate and mature, the semen could be dead.

As a stud owner who ships a lot I see too many panicked bitch owners jump the gun because they are afraid of a miss. Semen getting there early does no good if it all dies before the eggs are ready.

Agree with stud owner, I think you are to early.

Breeder 22
Agree with stud owner, I think you are to early.

I wouldn't say you are definitely too early, but you certainly aren't too late. If your girl is a typical riser, your timing is fine. For frozen breedings we wait until 4 days after 5 to ensure the most time with the living semen and mature eggs.

My post earlier was to point out that it is not impossible for her to drop or stall for a few days.

I have often sent 3 shipments if need be. I understand (as a bitch owner too) that the thought of missing is very stressful. On a few occasions where the labs are closed on the weekends or holidays I've sent a shipment for Saturday delivery when she was close, but then verified that she ovulated later. Three times the Monday progesterone was still under 5 or right at 5 when we assumed she'd ovulate the Friday before. In each of these cases I sent two additional shipments and in each case nice sized litters were born.