Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need stud that produces small

Looking for a stud dog that produces short back and legs...know it might sound odd but my bitch is at the very top of size on body and doggie head. She is clear on all genetics so all males suggested would be grateful...very hard to look at just pics...with economy now only traveling to 3 surrounding states...TIA

Re: need stud that produces small

It takes two to tango........

I'm sure you'd get more replies if you included an e-mail address, since no one I know will reply openly to this.

You should be breeding back to the standard, you want a male that produces all round and helps your bitch. Its impossible to tell you what male will do that.

And part of being listed as BREEDER on the litter reg. is doing your own research, and choosing your own stud dog.
Nobody could possibly tell you what dog will fix your bitch, without knowing the bitch and what is behind her. Perhaps you should not breed this bitch untill you have more knowledge.

This is a common newbie mistake. What you breed to should be as close as possible to perfect. If you breed to small to compensate, what you will probably get is some big and some small. You need to look for the ideal.

She sounds good.Short legs seem to be a plague at the moment. Balance and size are missing from our breed. Good leg to body balance are hard to find.

Send her to me.

Frankly, most of these replies are disappointing to read. The OP is clearly seeking a dog that doesn't pass along height and length. I can fully understand asking this question myself as I have a stud that always produces height (over standard, or at top limit). My bitches also produce that, so I want to shorten in both directions on offspring.

Grinds me that folks just can't pass along what they know.

OP - include your email address (get a generic yahoo if you want to be anonymous) and folks will reply.

Post an email and I'll send you a name.

Done it
Frankly, most of these replies are disappointing to read. The OP is clearly seeking a dog that doesn't pass along height and length. I can fully understand asking this question myself as I have a stud that always produces height (over standard, or at top limit). My bitches also produce that, so I want to shorten in both directions on offspring.

Grinds me that folks just can't pass along what they know.

OP - include your email address (get a generic yahoo if you want to be anonymous) and folks will reply.

I agree......

So many people come here with their panties in a wad and just LOVE to critisize strangers.

There are smaller boys out there who have smaller stuff behind them. Put your e-mail address on the thread and you'll get replies. I'm thinking of 3 right now.

:)

I have the problem in the other direction - I'm looking for boys who produce up to standard. My girl is on the small end of the standard and has produced on the small end of the standard and I want to up her size.

I have included a generic email addy for anyone that has ideas.

Yes, I can think of 3 or 4 smaller stud dogs. We could help if we knew where to send info. I do like this type dog anyway. Not so much those huge dogs you see in the ring alot at all breed shows.

Breeder also
Yes, I can think of 3 or 4 smaller stud dogs. We could help if we knew where to send info. I do like this type dog anyway. Not so much those huge dogs you see in the ring alot at all breed shows.

I can think of 3 small studs with great type. Would you please give me your list so I can compare?

I'm not the OP, but I'm a breeder who is concerned that our dogs are getting to be too big in some cases. Many of the dogs I've seen and love online or in the LQ are MASSIVE in the flesh.

I prefer a smaller package.

Hi Sounds to me you are trying to do your homework as you should in selecting a stud for your bitch. It's impressive that you haven't run to the "Flavor of the Day". As someone else suggested.... Please give us an email address, many of us old timers don't like the usual tone on this forum, as shown by some of the replys to your honest question. The SELF RIGHTEOUS BITCHES ARE ALWAYS WAITING TO POUNCE, TAKING UNKIND SHOTS WHEN THEY CAN, USUALLY WITH NO NAME

breeder
Breeder also

I can think of 3 small studs with great type. Would you please give me your list so I can compare?

I'm not the OP, but I'm a breeder who is concerned that our dogs are getting to be too big in some cases. Many of the dogs I've seen and love online or in the LQ are MASSIVE in the flesh.

I prefer a smaller package.

Afterall, isn't the Labrador a moderate dog in a moderate breed we're supposed to have? We don't own Newfoundlands and they shouldn't look like them, especially under 1 year old.

It's tough knowing what 2 will produce together but worth trying to get what you want or need.

Start calling the true old-timers. They might be much more honest with you and know who produces what today. I bet they respect your email or phone call for trying to breed correctly.

You won't get correct info from the witches on here. They could be afraid your puppy that isn't even in the oven yet *might* beat their's. Sit ringside and listen to their loud chat and you'll agree with me. You don't hear it from the over 30 year breeders except for 1 or 2. Bad apples in every bunch.

Send me your suggestions please.

I am not the orginal poster but I too would love any advice or help in pedigrees that produce smaller

I know of a stud if you E-mail me I would be more than willing to let you know his name and I have pictures of some show girls he has produced. One has 9 points to her CH and the other has 7 including 1 major to her CH. Those are the only 2 currently showing as well.

Thanks!