Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone Results

My bitch is in her 7th day since showing signs of heat (i.e. bleeding). This AM I took her for her progesterone test, and I just got the results of .8.

Last winter, I bred her and we missed. She was 2.4 on day 5, 4.2 on day 7 and 8.4 on day 10. Day 10 was the day she was bred via vaginal AI. To my regret, I only did one breeding.

So my question to the more experienced breeders, does the .8 seem out of line and when would you test progesterone again?

Re: Progesterone Results

Bitches are not always the same as their prior heat, and they are not always by the book.

Given your progesterone test, I would test again on Friday.

Looking at your previous breeding, you should have bred her on Day 9 and 10, if you were able to do two breedings.

Have you also checked other things with her like her thyroid levels?

8.4 on day 10? You should have bred day 11 and 13.

That is a good starting place to have a number. My girl was 0.4 and was bred about a week later. Bet you missed some days last time not seeing her spot. Go by your numbers. Test again and go from there. I waited from Wed. test to a Monday test since she was so low. They are all different and even a little different each breeding on same girl.

As someone mentioned, girls can be so different each breeding. Breeding a bitch now. Based on her previous progesterone numbers, her ideal time was 12-14 days. This time she was .06 on day 10 and 3.8 on day 15. Keep on testing to make sure and good luck!