Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shipping boxes in heat.

Which box are you using for shipping in this extreme heat ? Don't want to go back to the "big" box. But do want to breed.

Re: Shipping boxes in heat.

Just did a breeding during a heat wave last month, temps of 100 degrees at both ends. Used Minitube boxes. On arrival cold packs were cool but not real cold, and the tube was not very cold either. checked under microscope and the semen was dead. Fortunately the weather cooled off a little the next day and the next shipment, which was her better day, was ok and the bitch is pregnant. Though in most cases I think Minitube boxes are perfectly fine I would not use them for extreme heat again, in hindsight, better to pay the extra shipping for the "big" boxes!

I would never use a Minitube box to ship in this heat. The freezer brick is just too small. I use a box big enough for two freezer bricks with a thick styrofoam insert and so far so good.

what is the "big" box??

Reproduction Resources (in WI) has a nice sized box, not too big, that has the large freezer bricks. Box comes with two so you can use both in this heat. The bricks are the type that are soft but not liquid so they keep their shape. From memory, around $25 for the box.

Just received a shipment using the box and everything was still very cold, sperm looked great.

The "big" box is the excellent shipping box system from Camelot. Very heavily insulated. I shipped to Europe last august in 100 + heat. The box sat in customs after the flight and was not opened until three days after shipment. Everything was cold and perfect...11 pups nine weeks later.

Boxes from Polar Tech are the best. A #207 is big enough for two bricks. #204 is the standard box. Go online to search. It's the white box that Clone uses.
They also sell the freezer brick to fit. The Camelot box is huge compared to these but it is best for a shipment that will take more than three days.

I've never had trouble w/ the minitube shipping boxes...It's been 100+ for days. I use both going out and coming in. Had 2 going out and all was well just recently. Had 2 come in to Hilton Head also recently and both were fine. So not sure what makes the difference in those of you that haven't had good luck w/ them.

Lets reply back in 9 weeks and see if all went well.
Think several of us have bred in the heat and used different boxes and means. We invest so much we need to know for future. Hope all have pups.

Not sure what 9wk reply back has anything to do w/ this? The semen's concentration/motility on receiving end(checked by repro) in this immense heat tells you semen made it just fine in its shipping boxes. Whether the bitches get in whelp has nothing to do w/ this thread.

I was merely stating, I always use these boxes(coming or going) and have had no issues~ That's all.

Also just orchestrated a breeding w/ an owner of mine and had them also use minitube shipping boxes. Both shipments arrived just fine w/ 1 shipment from NY and the other from Canada.

So I have no idea why some have trouble in high heat w/ these boxes and I don't? Could it be how the semen is handled/processed prior to pkg'ing and it not getting there overnight morning delivery perhaps?

i got a shipment once during the summer, it was sent in a BIG BOX, couldnt believe my Fedex bill! But...everything was good, nice and chilly...so, to be on the safe side, if I was shipping far, and this was from NY to Vegas, I'd go with a big box, because it's been so hot, why risk it?

It's not the size of the box, it's how you use it!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
I have used the Minitube boxes in cold, and in hot weather and semen has always been nice and cold on arrival.

I know with Minitube boxes it is really important to chill the semen for a few hours before packaging it. Could it be they didn't have time to do that before shipping?

I have shipped plenty of Minitube boxes. I have never chilled the semen. There is no lack of puppies on the ground from my shipments. It arrives fine.