Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Half Sibling Breeding

I bought a bitch from another breeder. A few months ago she had an oops breeding between her bitch and her stud dog, who happens to be a 1/2 sibling to the bitch. The pups were gorgeous, and they are growing up beautiful. By the time my bitch, a littersister to her bitch, comes into season, the oops litter will be about 1 1/2 years old.

I am considering doing this breeding myself, on purpose. My bitch is nearly identical to hers, and these pups were lovely. As I said, both the bitch and the stud have the same dad, but the bitch sides of the pedigrees are completely different. Clearances on both dogs are all clear.

So, am I being irresponsible by considering this breeding? Thoughts?

Re: Half Sibling Breeding

You must consider the health of the line you are line breeding on, not only the parents. I've done it. It all went well and I got what I wanted.

not at all there are several kennels that have done it with great success on purpose. Blaze at hyspire is a half brother to a half sister breeding. He is producing great and he is a very stunning boy himself.

I know my lines very good, but too close for me. Niece to Uncle maybe. Know what is back in the pedigree, more to it than a pretty dog. Thats MHO

I would do a half sibling breeding if the line you are doubling on is outstanding in all regards. My ideal half sibling mating would be from offspring of a wonderful bitch bred to outstanding sires from different healthy lines. You absolutely have to know what is in the lines.

I think it is not a bad idea, but I question your time line. If it were me, I'd breed the girl to a different stud this time. Give the other litter enough time for problems to crop up. 1-1/2 years is too close for comfort. Given another 8-12 month with no problems, I'd go for it.

Ask the stud dog owner and the breeder of your bitch. Don't rely on people without names for advice or support.

That is a good suggestion, I would wait at least, until 3, when things like Seizure rear there ugly head. Just know what you are working with in lines.

You better ask lots of questions on TVD occurrence in the line....and hope you get honest answers, that's the tricky part!