Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on Ginger Kinlaw's recovery

I wanted to give everyone an update on Ginger’s progress. Some of you may not know she has had three prior run ins with cancer and has overcome them all (breast, bone & liver). That was almost 15 years ago. She now has a bone marrow disorder that, untreated, is life threatening and has required her to undergo full body radiation for 5 days, then chemo therapy for 5 days and she received a bone marrow transplant last week from two separate cord blood samples. The second specimen was enhanced in the lab, which is a practice done only in Europe and she is the third person in the US to have received this method of treatment. Her white count has already started to respond. Naturally she is very week and still quite ill but I’m encouraged by her progress. If anyone would like to send her a card you can send it to Ginger Kinlaw, Duke North Medical Center, 2301 Erwin Rd, Room 9204, Durham, NC 27701. Because she is in a special air controlled unit, cards and photos are all she can receive but I know she would love hearing from her Labrador friends. Please continue to pray for her. Thank you, Marion Daniel

Re: Update on Ginger Kinlaw's recovery

Marion, Can Ginger have visitors? Receive flowers? How long will she be at Duke? Kate

Thank you Marion, she had really been on my mind alot. I will get a card off to her right away. She is just the nicest lady...along with some others I know....thanks again, so much for the good update. We will have her in our prayers.

Yes, she can have visitors as long as they don't have any type of cold/cough or infection. No flowers. After she can get off the IV meds & start taking them by mouth and she is up & walking to maintain her strength, she can go to their RV. She has to stay within ten minutes of the hospital for three or four months. Right now she is struggling with eating ....no appetite, nausea. Yesterday was a good day. Thanks for the prayers, I need my traveling buddy back.......someone one has keep me straight.