Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dysplasia in six month old

Puppy buyer says vet did x rays prior to spay. States "her surgery went well and she is fully recovered . However we did find that she has mild hip displacia , my vet did xray prior to surgery
and it clearly shows displacia . i was advised that she will not be able to do some exercises . This is very disaponting to know that she is limited to what
she is able to do."

My contract clearly states we can have a second set taken and sent to a board certified vet. Why on earth are vets doing x rays so young? Money grabber? Or, is this buyer looking for refund? All pups in litter seem fine. This news comes to me a month after dog has been spayed and x rays taken.

What would you do???

TIA

Re: dysplasia in six month old

I would tell them to wait until the dog is 2 years old. Re-take x-rays and submit to OFA. Then they can have a refund if OFA fails.

If the puppy has no symptoms, just some laxity it can and most likely will get much better with age.

Lecture them about proper nutrition and exercise. Swimming is great.

While we have all heard bitching about OFA lately, it's still our most popular method to evaluate hips.

Thank the owners for letting you know. Pass them as much info as you can about moderate exercise, good diet.

Share this info from OFA:

A recent publication* compared the reliability of the preliminary evaluation hip grade phenotype with the 2 year old evaluation in dogs and there was 100% reliability for a preliminary grade of excellent being normal at 2 years of age (excellent, good, or fair). There was 97.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of good being normal at 2 years of age, and 76.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of fair being normal at 2 years of age. Reliability of preliminary evaluations increased as age at the time of preliminary evaluation increased, regardless of whether dogs received a preliminary evaluation of normal hip conformation or HD. For normal hip conformations, the reliability was 89.6% at 3-6 months, 93.8% at 7-12 months, and 95.2% at 13-18 months. These results suggest that preliminary evaluations of hip joint status in dogs are generally reliable. However, dogs that receive a preliminary evaluation of fair or mild hip joint conformation should be reevaluated at an older age (24 months).

And recommend that they either redo films after 12 months and submit as prelims or wait until 24 months and do finals. Then based on that info, you'll take the next course of action.

And stick to your contract. My contract states that refunds are given if the dog is SEVERELY affected. Many mildly affected dogs live happy, normal, active lives with NO change in their quality of life. This does not require a refund of money. Only severe does.

It is common that pet owners are asking vets to do hip xrays to get an idea of what's going on. Unfortunately, I don't believe that most vets really understand hips. Some naturally, but for the most part they are only GP's.

It is our practice to get a film of the hips (and usually elbows) if a pup is going to be under anesthesia for some other reason. The pup was being spayed, so it was a good time to check the hips as well. I see no ulterior motive - just sensible vet practice. IF the vet had recommended expensive surgery or some invasive procedure, I would have been very suspect of the motives. It sounds like the vet followed the evaluation with some good advice about management, so consider him one of the good guys

I agree. Usually I don't recommend spaying or neutering until the puppies are more mature than 6 months, but any surgery is an excellent time to get a set of films for evaluation of hips. I encourage the pet owners to get a formal interpretation of the films from either OFA or PennHIP. In this way, I can also find out how more of my puppies are doing.

So yes, I think the vet and pet owner did you a favor.

I had a dog who when x-rayed by his regular vet for other reasons was diagnosed with "mild hip dysplasia" .... the dog in question is OFA Good, and now, at 12+ years old is still perfectly sound with no hip problems at all.

If the people are truly concerned, they should have OFA review the films when the dog is older, and in the meantime shouldn't be over-exercising a young dog anyway. My point is though, that I wouldn't necessarily panic over a general practitioner's diagnosis of "mild" hip dysplasia.

depending on what state you live in they could ask you for money back despite what your contract says-state lemon laws protect pet owners if a condition is diagnosed by 6 mos. even if we know the condition may improve with age.....

Why wait until age 2 if many of you breed on prelims 12 mo.'s and older? I don't believe in 6 mo. xrays at all but the same prelim age as a dog being bred should be sufficient, unless the contract states differently.

Sad, isn't it?

?
depending on what state you live in they could ask you for money back despite what your contract says-state lemon laws protect pet owners if a condition is diagnosed by 6 mos. even if we know the condition may improve with age.....

Prelim age
Why wait until age 2 if many of you breed on prelims 12 mo.'s and older? I don't believe in 6 mo. xrays at all but the same prelim age as a dog being bred should be sufficient, unless the contract states differently.

Who are you talking about when you say "many of you"?? ...and the prelims I've heard of people doing are much closer to 18 months than 12.

I have never bred on prelims. Too much changes as the dog grows. Not saying I never will, but if I do, it will be prelims around 18 mos as opposed to 6.

Both

Then you're not the norm....which is good! Many of the "reputable and well respected" breeders out there are breeding males on prelims. of 12 mo or less....Just get a few big wins on one and that opens the door. Guess they figure it's worth the chance they won't pass at 2yrs. But they'll be the first to point figures at anyone else for doing the same...if your're a big name with a huge following it seems there's another set of rules.

Labs2
Then you're not the norm....which is good! Many of the "reputable and well respected" breeders out there are breeding males on prelims. of 12 mo or less....Just get a few big wins on one and that opens the door. Guess they figure it's worth the chance they won't pass at 2yrs. But they'll be the first to point figures at anyone else for doing the same...if your're a big name with a huge following it seems there's another set of rules.

Exactly.!

Our 2 yr old dog was OFA Mild Dysplasia and you would never know it if not for the OFA report. She is a very strong girl, jumping around, out running the other dogs.

Her hips are shallow, there was no degenerative arthritis noted on her OFA report. I put her on Joint Supplement just because it seemed like a good prevenative, keeps her joints lubed up good.

At 6 months old, I can't see why that vet would be taking radiographs when he was suppose to be spaying. I've never heard of this practice in all my years of breeding. I would definatley get a 2nd opinion before you have to honor your warrantee contract if you have one in place.

That is NOT true. "The law is the law in the ABSENCE of a contract". If you have contracts those are what the courts will go by.